Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Soldato
What do you guys wear for winter running?

I am too cold these days in my normal running clothes but too warm if I wear anything over them :( Considering just signing up to a gym for the winter but I would rather not!

Decathlon do some very good value gear eg tights for £14:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/deefuz-1000-unisex-tights-40199761/

My essential bit of running kit at the moment is a SmartWool merino top. Nice and warm when starting off but once I'm up to operating temp's, the big chest zip is good for venting. Being merino also means I can wear quite a few times without it stinking (like the good ol' Smelly Hellys :D)

Soldato
Lesson for those with injuries - don't rush things or ignore them!

Been having problems with my knees (doc said arthritis but a physio friend of my gf said it sounds more like patellofemeral syndrome) and tried to get back into exercise too quickly (albeit on the bike/swimming rather than running). It started to get worse so I'm off exercise apart from walking for a month and then gonna start stretching and slowly get back into the gym doing non-impact stuff. Hopefully then in the NY I can start adding in a run a week adn gradually get back up to three runs a week and start training for a 10k and half maras. Frustrating though :(

Soldato
Good luck with the rest period MOT.

I've been out this morning, did my 10.7km route. Felt very heavy legged but set my fastest time for it in 54:17 :D Previous best was 55:48.

Associate
I want to switch from my current 45-60 minute treadmill sessions to an HIIT schedule but I'm struggling to find some solid info on the actual intervals and longer term schedules.

I'm verging on overweight , (5'11', 13st), and need to shift some body fat.

Should I ease myself into it? How long or intense should my first attempts be?

I currently cover 7-8K in 50 mins, varying from sprinting at 14kph to walking at 7kph, pretty much random intervals of 3-6 minutes. Is anyone clever enough to convert that data into some kind of target or guide for HIIT? :p

Any other pearls of wisdom or good links appreciated.

Associate
I used to do tabata sprints when i was trying to shed some pounds and it worked perfectly over a couple of months i lost about 1stone and half doing this 3 times a week and sometimes more (if i was feeling brave).

1. Sprint for 20 seconds.
2. Rest for 10 seconds.
3. Repeat 7 times, for a total of four minutes of work.

I don't think you are supposed to do it more than that? BUT if you are feeling brave enough do it all over again!

1. Sprint for 20 seconds.
2. Rest for 10 seconds.
3. Repeat 7 times, for a total of four minutes of work.

The first time is a killer if you put 110% into the sprinting but teh second time i don't think i ever finished :p

"EDIT"
Used to do this just before breakfast too so i didn't throw anything back up...

Soldato
Just completed my first half marathon!

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/18798228

Time isn't my goal before you laugh ;) Was very tough especially as I was carrying a rib injury that hampered my breathing a little. Chuffed I did it :) It's all prep for London 2010. Started running 5 months ago, Oh and I'm 38, another excuse ;)

No laughing here Toekiller :)

Good effort getting round wounded - now the distance isn't going to worry as you know you've done it so you can work on the time.

Associate
I was wondering if someone could give me some advice?
I recnetly started running about 1-2months ago, I started from nothing really and i'm up to about 2miles, I run 3 out of 4 days and on the 4th day i rest. I was wondering if someone could give me someone advice on what is the most effective way to lose weight. I have really noticed a massive difference in my breathing and the distance that i can manage, but advice is always welcome!

Caporegime
OP
Fast slow work, or Fartlek would help you lose weight. If you're up to 2 miles at the moment, try alternating half a mile flat out, with half a mile almost walking for the 2 miles.

Soldato
Anyone bother washing their running shoes?

Just mine are getting a bit fusty seen as It's been wet recently outside.

Nahh, I've found they smell even worse after wearing them a few times after a wash.

Just remove the laces and insoles, stuff with newspaper and leave to dry slowly and then brush off any crud once dry.

Soldato
What running shoes do people use here?

I think I need some new ones, mine are nearly a year old now and about 6month ago they were machine washed!!

Not sure what foot type I am either, maybe's slightly over pronate

Soldato
Ha.

I just went to a local running shop and the looked at how I run.

I've been running for over a year now and I've just got a pair of trainers that are made for how I run.

I've had no real problems really, just tight shins now and again. But it's only the last few month i've done some real runs, I say real for me as in a fair few 10milers and I always go running 3 times a week now so I thought I'd get my feet looked at :)

Back
Top Bottom