Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Caporegime
Bought a treadmill, and as all guys probably do, set it at the top speed which was something like 14mph. That's crazy speed to be running at, expecially when you're not used to it.

I then remembered that Usain Bolt sprints at something like over 25mph. Just insane. :o

AGD

AGD

Soldato
I've decided to get fit again because I haven't been doing any exercise whatsoever (apart from 1 skiing holiday) in the last 5 months or so. Did my first run 2 days ago and managed 3k at 14kph which wasn't as bad as I thought it would be! Not sure of my goals atm - just get better I guess! :)

edit: I now have a goal! 5k in under 20mins.

Last edited:
Soldato
We had some snow overnight, so I thought I'd run some of the footpaths through the fields near home.

Not the best idea - frozen in places, very sloppy in others - some right trainer eating bogs :rolleyes:

Associate
Yeah getting there! Trying to increase it by a mile every 2 weeks if possible, i felt like i might of had more yesturday!

Ultimate aim is birmingham half marathan in october.. Lots of time yet, but its gonna be hard! Hopefully i can keep it going till then :)

Im just wondering, should i first aim at running the 5 miles in a faster time? Whats a good pace to be running?

Soldato
Yeah getting there! Trying to increase it by a mile every 2 weeks if possible, i felt like i might of had more yesturday!

Ultimate aim is birmingham half marathan in october.. Lots of time yet, but its gonna be hard! Hopefully i can keep it going till then :)

Im just wondering, should i first aim at running the 5 miles in a faster time? Whats a good pace to be running?

Depends on you...

My misses runs around 6 mins/km, on a good day I can keep around 5 mins/km but hit 4:40 or 4:50/km for the last couple of k's. Somebody like Firstborn would probably find 4:40/km slow though :D

Associate
Hmm, little bit dissapointed today, managed 6.04 miles which is 1..1 miles further than before.. but only managed it in 1 hour 15

I was hoping to do it in an hour!

I guess i need a small watch so i can keep track of times per mile and make sure my pace is right :(

Soldato
Depends on you...

My misses runs around 6 mins/km, on a good day I can keep around 5 mins/km but hit 4:40 or 4:50/km for the last couple of k's. Somebody like Firstborn would probably find 4:40/km slow though :D

4:40/km....It's about the right pace for a 30 miler :p

To Jacob, don't let it get you down. I'd say to improve you 5 mile time, run longer, but a fair bit slower than your goal and throw in a weekly speed session. shorter than 5 miles, but hitting target pace or a little faster.

I wouldn't worry too much about the pace though at this stage. Just develop a decent base where your can run 3 times a week and gradually build up the long run, then 16 weeks from your half grab a training plan from runnersworld or the like and follow that.

Soldato
Been signed up with the gym for a few months now keeping the cardio up while the weather has been poor. Ran 10k on the treadmill in 55:40, wasn't racing, just ran at a comfortable pace, decent level of exertion.

Any thoughts on what would be the best way to develop fitness/endurance? I'm training probably four times a week, but I do walk a lot outside of the gym. I've been using the cross trainer/bike too and understand heart rate zones, just wanted a second opinion.

Associate
I've been struggling with actually running, and motivation for running since ripping my calf muscle in April last year. Was just coming back from torn ligagments in my foot (thanks astroturf), and pushed too hard, felt it tighten, and then it was gone, hopped most of the way home. Took 4 months before I could even do a light jog on it. Its only this winter where I've been able to start upping the milage again. The large amounts of ice, and my heart rate and times being through the roof have really killed my motivation. I've never been so unfit, and its been getting worse. Yesterday 11 minutes miles, some thing I would consider exceptionally slow, pushed my heart rate to 184 bpm, and the average to 172bpm for a 7 mile run, and that included having to walk for half a mile in the middle just to get my heart rate back under some control.

However I just finished reading 'Born to Run' by Christopher McDougall. This is probably the only book that made me feel like running, it very entertaining, really easy to read (finished it in less than 3 days), and tells a great story, whilst at the same time covers the science of running, and why Humans are literally built to run.

Upside is this morning, I went for another run (following the god awful 7 miler with the heart rate from hell yesterday), despite a rebuke from my missus. For the first time ever, as well as my Forerunner, I had a metronome track on my ipod, just playing a 180bpm beat, so I could work on my cadence. Result was a much faster leg movement, with a really shortened stride pattern, balance was a lot better, no overstriding, foot fall pretty much under my center of gravity. Ran 3 miles, heart rate was still a little high, around 160bpm, but the graph for the run is the smoothest I've ever seen my rate, it stayed at 160 bpm for the entire run. Normally it widely weaves up and down around 20 bpm from my average.

Anyway, what I'm saying is, read the book. Its brilliant, even if it doesn't help your running, it might change why you run.

Soldato
Ran the Nick Beer Memorial 10k in Llandudno today.

http://gb.mapometer.com/en/view/route_96622.html is the route - the altitude graph doesn’t really show how evil 2km to 4km is though I'm not sure Google work out the total height gain/lost correctly.

Clocked 52:07 which I’m happy with given the evil hill. KM splits were:

1km – 5:39
2km – 5:21
3km – 5:18
4km – 6:13
5km – 5:18
6km – 4:38
7km – 4:36
8km – 4:59
9km – 5:06
10km – 4:53

I thought I could pull back my 50 minute target at 7km but the steady climb from 8km to 9km hurt.

Soldato
Ran the Nick Beer Memorial 10k in Llandudno today.

http://gb.mapometer.com/en/view/route_96622.html is the route - the altitude graph doesn’t really show how evil 2km to 4km is though I'm not sure Google work out the total height gain/lost correctly.

Clocked 52:07 which I’m happy with given the evil hill. KM splits were:

1km – 5:39
2km – 5:21
3km – 5:18
4km – 6:13
5km – 5:18
6km – 4:38
7km – 4:36
8km – 4:59
9km – 5:06
10km – 4:53

I thought I could pull back my 50 minute target at 7km but the steady climb from 8km to 9km hurt.

Hey chris, good effort. 10k's are bad enough without hills, hope the pain hasn't put you off the next. :)

Soldato
Very happy! Just ran 10k in 49:51, my best so far (although not been doing them long). A vast improvement on the last run, and there's easily more to come I feel. Last half mile was the toughest, ran at 7.5-7.8 mph for the duration of the run and increased speed to 9.2 mph to finish.

Just want to keep improving and see where it takes me, would be great to enter a few races.

Associate
hey guys,

I currently run 2x a week (4.5miler at 12min per mile pace) and 1 hour gym (rowing machine and bike) 1x week.

Is this enough for weight loss??

Soldato
Very happy! Just ran 10k in 49:51, my best so far (although not been doing them long). A vast improvement on the last run, and there's easily more to come I feel. Last half mile was the toughest, ran at 7.5-7.8 mph for the duration of the run and increased speed to 9.2 mph to finish.

Just want to keep improving and see where it takes me, would be great to enter a few races.

Races can be a great motivator, should be plenty coming up now. Go for it!

Associate
hey guys,

I currently run 2x a week (4.5miler at 12min per mile pace) and 1 hour gym (rowing machine and bike) 1x week.

Is this enough for weight loss??

Weight loss is dependant on using more calories than you take in. So the answer will depend on diet. If you are eating Maccy D's and drinking like a fish, and have an otherwise sedentary lifestyle, then its probably not enough.

However if your weight was stable, you haven't changed your diet, and this is excercising is new to your life, then yes you'll probably lose some weight. For myself (a bit over 13 stone), a 4.5 mile run would burn off around 600 calories.

Soldato

Well done !! I had my first ever go at 10km (normally only run 5km) last Sunday and managed a 61.33. I wanted to get below 1 hr but couldnt manage it although I did run it with a cold,

Back
Top Bottom