Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Soldato
Anyone been running in the snow lately?

I'm a bit worried going out incase of slipping and doing something. Anyone just go as normal or leave it til the snow/ice clears?

I need to try out my new trainers :)

Soldato
business as usual here. 16 miler yesterday evening. i just take a little easier, but get plenty of weird looks with my head torch on full beam! at least the cold appears to keep the ****** off the streets :)

Soldato
The cold also means I don't end run the dripping in sweat. Just a quick 3 miles tonight - hardly anyone out until I'd finished. I stopped my iPod, turned round to jog back down the straight to warm down and found a group of 10 to 15 runners in front of me :D

Finally had the get the running tights, gloves and headband out the cupboard now though!

Soldato
Im going out tomorrow at some point, will just try the roads as much as possible. The paths are lethal here.

No tights and hat though so will have to lose my ears and knee caps

Soldato
Thanks this topic is very useful.

I'm a beginner runner, having not exercised properly for 3 years atleast, and really enjoying running the more I do it.

I've found that running in the cold weather doesn't bother me as I very quickly warm up so don't need many layers of clothing.

Atm I'm only doing 1.6 miles a time, trying to improve my time, and will soon start to run further. The quickest I've done 1.6 miles is just under 15 mins, slow I know but atleast theres room to improve.

The hardest part of running is sticking to the diet!

Soldato
Hmm I seem to have knackered something :(

Did a 5km on Saturday, no pain at all, same shoes I've had for ages and been running in for the last month or so. Sunday the outside of my foot was sore but didn't think anything of it, rested. Monday, started walking to work and after a few minutes the discomfort got worse into proper shooting pains in the outside of my foot and actually had to stop walking - ouch. Walked the rest of the way walking on the ball/side of my foot - doh.

Going to try and rest/ice it as much as possible, but somewhat annoying - will be switching to swimming to keep up the cardio, but grr!

Last edited:
Soldato
Atm I'm only doing 1.6 miles a time, trying to improve my time, and will soon start to run further. The quickest I've done 1.6 miles is just under 15 mins, slow I know but atleast theres room to improve.

Ignore the times for the moment and concentrate on distance, even if it means walking some of your route. At the moment the most effective way to improve your speed is to improve your overall fitness and that means running further.

If you run further then your speed will improve at the same time, much guicker than trying to run 2k as quick as you can.

Associate
I was wondering if someone could give me some advice?
I recnetly started running about 1-2months ago, I started from nothing really and i'm up to about 2miles, I run 3 out of 4 days and on the 4th day i rest. I was wondering if someone could give me someone advice on what is the most effective way to lose weight. I have really noticed a massive difference in my breathing and the distance that i can manage, but advice is always welcome!

I started running last year to loose weight. I run about 4 miles 3 times a week @ 6am on empty. So far ive lost about 1.5 stone and my total run distance is about 180miles. I found that once my fitness was there I could concentrate on doing some spinting in my run which may of helped. I would aim to make your run distance about 5k and run Mon, Wed & Fri rest at weekend.

Associate
Just got back from my first run in a year probably! Only really ran on occasion before really. Figured id post here try and make sure i stay commited to doing it more regularly. Ive put on lots of weight lately and have hit about 15.5 stone :/ Not good at all!

Run went quite well i think, i planned a 4.2 mile run i was hurting after a mile and after 2 my pace slowed a bit. I managed to complete the run though in just a shade under 50 minutes!

Signed up to a site called Map My Run hopefully it will help me keep track of my progress.

Just a thanks for the information in this thread too really!

Associate
Hmm tried to go for one again tonight, even though my legs were wrecked from yesturday. Made it about 3 miles then walked the rest of the way back!

I guess i should have given myself more recovery time.

Associate
Just got back from my first run in a year probably! Only really ran on occasion before really. Figured id post here try and make sure i stay commited to doing it more regularly. Ive put on lots of weight lately and have hit about 15.5 stone :/ Not good at all!

Run went quite well i think, i planned a 4.2 mile run i was hurting after a mile and after 2 my pace slowed a bit. I managed to complete the run though in just a shade under 50 minutes!

Signed up to a site called Map My Run hopefully it will help me keep track of my progress.

Just a thanks for the information in this thread too really!

Well done just keep at it. I found using the Nike+ system helped with my motivation.

Associate
Thanks! :)

The Nike+ sounds interesting, but i dont have the money atm! xD

Is it bad for me to run every day at this stage even though my legs are killing? Id rather go again tonight even if i dont make it all the way, than wait until tommorow!

Associate

Is it bad for me to run every day at this stage even though my legs are killing? Id rather go again tonight even if i dont make it all the way, than wait until tommorow!

I tend to run every other day and do some upper body work on the days I dont run.

Soldato

If you are just getting back into running or just starting out I'd only run 3 or 4 times a week. Keep it gentle and don't rush things.

Back
Top Bottom