Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Associate
So after staying to myself, I'd take it easy on my 10km night trail race, I ended up finishing in 3rd place out of 360 people! I was in the lead for nearly 4km, me and a chap in second overtook then lost the lead bike on a muddy incline. We then go slightly lost and a chap in 3rd caught up with us. I couldn't keep up with the other two guys, I'd gone off at a road race pace just enjoying being in the lead, so knew I was going to fade in the second half. Held onto 3rd and won some beer and a nice plaque thing.

Associate
I was out for a quick 5k at 4AM this morning, was pretty dam cold though. Ice on cars

You all need to man up ;)

Cheers for the encouragement :)

Anyone got recommendations for long sleeve winter type tops? At the moment i only have short sleeved ones and it is just getting too cold for it.

Last time I was out, I couldn't feel my stomach afterwards as it was so cold. Maybe i should tuck the top in or something...

Soldato
I've joined the club, already a member of the OCUK Strava club, although don't do much of that anymore!

Currently training for Liverpool marathon in May (my first). Looking forward to it :)

Soldato

Anyone got recommendations for long sleeve winter type tops? At the moment i only have short sleeved ones and it is just getting too cold for it.

Last time I was out, I couldn't feel my stomach afterwards as it was so cold. Maybe i should tuck the top in or something...

I just have a couple of the Karrimor tops that you can get in Sports Direct as they're cheap.

https://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-quarter-zip-running-top-mens-452460?colcode=45246059

They're very comfy and i find i wear them a lot around the house. Probably not the warmest things around though.

I also have some compression type tops. Think they were 2 for £20 from Sports Direct though think they're targetted at Golfers!

Associate

I got a compression top from Aldi for around £10, its good, wore it today :D

Soldato
So I'll be new around here. I've caught the running bug but I walk everywhere I go and, it doesn't matter to me if it's half an hour, an hour or even more. I enjoy walking.

Going to be running with me and my girlfriend, to become fitter. Started out at the weekend with an hour walk up to the local reservoir and did a light jog around half of it (other half requires going on the road), had daughter in pram also and it went very well.

Yesterday we managed to leave our daughter with her Grandma and just me and my girlfriend got out in the cold early morning. Used an app to record our run for the first time also and Strava came with with; Distance:2.5 Miles, Elevation Gain: 346ft and Average Pace: 12:30/mi. The first half of this requires a bit of walking as it's steep up a muddy / stoney path and then across the top over some uneven fields.

I felt fine after yesterdays run and I was just urging to go again, so I went out myself as other half needed to rest. Ended up going same route with slight variation to keep on the roads / paths. Recording stats was; Distance: 3.0 Miles, Elevation Gain: 393ft and Average Pace: 11.04/mi. Now have a rest day tomorrow and on Wednesday we're meeting my sister in the big park, where she's going to show us around for the ParkRun.

At the moment our only aim is to get fit enough to complete ParkRun, while getting out and about in our area also.

The feeling of getting out and running just feels amazing!

Associate
So I'll be new around here. I've caught the running bug but I walk everywhere I go and, it doesn't matter to me if it's half an hour, an hour or even more. I enjoy walking.

Going to be running with me and my girlfriend, to become fitter. Started out at the weekend with an hour walk up to the local reservoir and did a light jog around half of it (other half requires going on the road), had daughter in pram also and it went very well.

Yesterday we managed to leave our daughter with her Grandma and just me and my girlfriend got out in the cold early morning. Used an app to record our run for the first time also and Strava came with with; Distance:2.5 Miles, Elevation Gain: 346ft and Average Pace: 12:30/mi. The first half of this requires a bit of walking as it's steep up a muddy / stoney path and then across the top over some uneven fields.

I felt fine after yesterdays run and I was just urging to go again, so I went out myself as other half needed to rest. Ended up going same route with slight variation to keep on the roads / paths. Recording stats was; Distance: 3.0 Miles, Elevation Gain: 393ft and Average Pace: 11.04/mi. Now have a rest day tomorrow and on Wednesday we're meeting my sister in the big park, where she's going to show us around for the ParkRun.

At the moment our only aim is to get fit enough to complete ParkRun, while getting out and about in our area also.

It soon gets addictive!! Once i found people to go with i ended up running 5-6 times a week, always fun to push yourself and beat your previous best mile, 2 mile, 5k, 10k, etc etc

Good luck!!

Man of Honour
2:56:16 in tough conditions, happy with that. Very windy and I ran a lot of it alone. Pretty even splits and a fast finish.

Made good use of the weather today - 41* mile jolly in the Peaks at a little over 6 hours. 4 pints later and think I should go to bed.

*Upon checking proper this morning, the GPS had a brain fart at some point, was only 39.4 miles. The beer was still earned though :)

Well done both, very impressive running.

Welcome and well done on starting to run, it's good that you've got some rest days built in, it can be tempting to try and ramp up the running quickly as you see progress but remember that you're putting different stresses on your body and using muscles that probably aren't used to it so build up slowly to lessen the risk of injuries and setting yourself back. Also if you haven't already been for a gait analysis it's probably worth going for that and getting properly fitted shoes as it does make a difference.

Soldato
Also if you haven't already been for a gait analysis it's probably worth going for that and getting properly fitted shoes as it does make a difference.

I did buy our shoes from a running shop in town. Guy said I could run on treadmill and he'd video my running. Never in my life been on a treadmill and that felt weird and fast. Didn't have the earth to spend and still needed some gear on top of the two pairs of trainers we needed. We ended up with buying some Brooks Launch 4. So far so good anyway, I can't fault them at the moment.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom