Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Soldato
Well I managed to get out. It helped the wife started watching a cat programme!

Only issue was that I had a bit half pound burger and chips for tea about an hour before heading out so felt a bit sick and bloated.

Chose a route I knew to be quite hilly and around the 2 mile mark knew I could change route and run home along the canal which would be flat and a bit shorter. Pushed myself on though and walked a little on flat before a hill so I recovered a bit to keep a jog on up the hill. Luckily it started lightly raining at that point which helped refresh me and aftrt that little break I felt good and even took a slight detour to drag it out a bit, ruined by some woman stopping me for directions.

In the past I’ve always kept myself to short runs around the 30 mins mark and just tried to increase pace to keep it aroun that time but this past week I’ve been going a bit longer and have really been enjoying these 5-6 mile runs

Soldato
Thanks.

It's 4 laps for 10K but there's also a 2-lap 5K race at the same time so it's going to be a bit of a cluster **** I think with 2000+ people of different abilities and paces sharing the same narrow course.

I can use dodging slower runners as an excuse for my poor result.:D

Associate
Thanks.

It's 4 laps for 10K but there's also a 2-lap 5K race at the same time so it's going to be a bit of a cluster **** I think with 2000+ people of different abilities and paces sharing the same narrow course.

I can use dodging slower runners as an excuse for my poor result.:D

That happened when I did the Blenheim Half marathon this year, we were in our final mile and they released all the fun runners and 5k/10k people right in front of us, while going downhill. Made the last mile frustrating and quite dangerous.

Associate
The same thing happened at the Southampton Marathon last year. Fast Marathoners caught the back of the half, and the fastish half runners caught the back of the 10k in the last bit of each race. It Would have been really frustrating if you were pushing for a Full or Half PB and you hit the slower 10k runners. Not their fault at all, just the organisation. Hopefully, its sorted this year

Associate
I am struggling today, legs are quite sore, but wanted to keep the distance up this week........

Do I run today, or wait until tomorrow........

Ok, so I got out, managed 5.5 main reason was I wanted to test my new leg compression 2nd skin that was delivered.

Seems good, not sure if it actually helps or not, but ill give it a go over the next week or 2.

Caporegime
I am struggling today, legs are quite sore, but wanted to keep the distance up this week........

Do I run today, or wait until tomorrow........
If your legs are sore/painful/discomfort then take a rest day. If your legs are simply tired/fatigued then have an easy run.

Forget about the distance for the week. It is a dangerous path to go down worrying about weekly stats. The OCUk Strava club is great and all but never think you are in competition with anyone else, even yourself. The worst thing about strava is the segment records and your course records/progression. Ignore that stuff, just leads to injury.

Soldato
Wanted to go out for a long run last night, all was ok up to 12 miles when I clipped my foot on something and hit the deck.

Had no choice but to run home so 15.5 miles total but my left knee is very sore this morning and struggling to even walk properly. Not what I wanted!

Caporegime
Wanted to go out for a long run last night, all was ok up to 12 miles when I clipped my foot on something and hit the deck.

Had no choice but to run home so 15.5 miles total but my left knee is very sore this morning and struggling to even walk properly. Not what I wanted!
That sucks! Rest a day and then try something easy

Soldato
So just done our first unofficial ParkRun.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1276401530

Also can I get your opinion on watches? I'd like to avoid having to use my phone to track so I can leave it at home. I was thinking of buying me and my girlfriend a Garmin Forerunner FR25 or Garmin Forerunner FR35. Price wise can currently be had for £90 and £130.

What's different between them? Just the heart rate monitor?

Associate
I was in the same boat a while back and ended up getting a 5 month old Forerunner 610 for £90 or so.

Back out tonight and argh!!! Blister... I normally tape my heel to make sure this doesn't happen but I guess I got it wrong this time :(

Caporegime
I was in the same boat a while back and ended up getting a 5 month old Forerunner 610 for £90 or so.

Back out tonight and argh!!! Blister... I normally tape my heel to make sure this doesn't happen but I guess I got it wrong this time :(
I started with a 610, Garmin refurb for $130USD, worked great. From a basic runnign perspective it is just as good as the latest models.
I upgraded to the 920XT for triathlons and Ultras. Now looking to go Fenix5 to get charging on the run for races over 24 hours. I woldn't normally bother but a Garmin rep can hook me up with a good deal

Never had a blister on my heal running for some reason. My Toes get mangled through

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom