Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Soldato
Glad it wasn't just me who didn't get out for a run this morning!

Having been having issues with my toes, I went for a run last week with my new insoles and testing out high arch lacing and my feet felt fine for the whole 7.5km I did, hoping that the combination of the two will have me back running pain free again.

Associate
Glad it wasn't just me who didn't get out for a run this morning!

Having been having issues with my toes, I went for a run last week with my new insoles and testing out high arch lacing and my feet felt fine for the whole 7.5km I did, hoping that the combination of the two will have me back running pain free again.

If I didn't have people to run with, I would most likely only do half the current number of runs I am doing, so many times I want to slow down and have a walk, but other people seem to keep me rallied to finish

Soldato
It was having people encouraging me that got me started on running in the first place, in fact it was those same people that got me started on my weight loss that then moved on to the running too. Since the start I've lost 6stone and gone from horribly unfit to looking at running some half marathons next year! :)

Soldato
I was reading through the first few posts of this thread earlier (Cheers D.P!) and it mentioned keeping a log of runs.

Now i know we all have Strava but does anyone manually keep a record? Strava seems great for looking at individual runs but less so for tracking trends over months (unless i'm missing something). Can i export data from Strava into a CSV to play around with? I don't want to manually start entering histroric data.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
I'm not a morning person, I run solo after work usually although my new girlfriend runs so I've started running with her on a weds night. We're planning a 10 mile run tomorrow night as we're looking to do a half marathon early next year so building up the distance. Got the Chorley 10k this Sunday and the Wilmslow 10k next Sunday.

I only started running September 19th! Think I've caught the bug. Although now I need to look at changing my Nike Free Run 1 (I used them as gym shoes years ago) to something more suited to road/trail. Maybe Soloman Speedcross 4s.

I was reading through the first few posts of this thread earlier (Cheers D.P!) and it mentioned keeping a log of runs.

Now i know we all have Strava but does anyone manually keep a record? Strava seems great for looking at individual runs but less so for tracking trends over months (unless i'm missing something). Can i export data from Strava into a CSV to play around with? I don't want to manually start entering histroric data.

Doesn't look like you can do it elegantly. You can get the raw JSON data using the browser inspector according this this guide: http://scottpdawson.com/export-strava-workout-data/

There should be a conversion tool out there to convert this to a CSV. It's a shame their API is apparently restrictive as I'd be interesting in writing a web tool to do this.

Last edited:
Associate

Google BenWeb for Strava, its what I use :)

Caporegime

I used to keep an excel spread sheet that would track everything and then give you break down month by month for different workout, look at pace trends, monthly volume etc. But really, it didn't add much over Strava. There are also lots of other websites that can integrate with Strava and give a more detailed analysis pf trends.

Caporegime
I kept it up for 2 years but that extra 1 minute each day wasn't adding that much i think. What it was good at is showing a full 18-24 week trainign cycle over a couple of pages. 1 line for each day. Distance, pace and heart rate on 1 line. I would enter times for 800m or 1 mile repeats. Form that I could see some trends just eye balling things. And then easy to pull out week by week volume to check recovery weeks, or e.g. measure 6 week peek volume before taper.By comparing training cycles you get a feel for progress.

Caporegime
I wussed out this morning so haven't been out at all yet this week. Felt tired and dehydrated so decided not to risk it!
There is always a fine line between not being weak minded and skipping a workout, and listening to your body to know when to rest. Just be careful that in winter it is very easy to be less consistent with the runnign and let the weather win over your motivations, but this will only degrade your potential in the spring. Running really rewards the consistency. But consistency also means not getting injured or sick.

I really like running 7 days a week because it is then just par of the daily routine and you don't really think about skipping a run. then when something at work/family/life really crops up or the weather is dangerously dire you can take a rest day and know it is extremely beneficial. But it took me nearly 2 years before I felt comfortable runnign 7 days a week, and I still take rest days, they just don;t fit in to a 7 day pattern.

Soldato
Agreed, i'm sure i could've gone and probably would've been fine but having drank lots of water today i know i'll be good for tonight.

Do you run at set times each day?

My plan was to get out today and tomorrow but with not going till tonight i'm not sure it's a good idea to go out tomorrow morning and have only 8 hours between runs.

Caporegime
If someone wants some motivation, this is my progress. I started running around April 2015, did my 1st marathon in November and got hooked. lost nearly 20kg in the process. Spring 2016 I ran a 3:13 for marathon #2, spring this year a 2:59 with really bad cramps. Hopping to go under 2:52 at Boston in April if the weather cooperates. I paced Saturdays race very well but the head wind cost a decent amount of time.

I had about 8 weeks of quality training since my 50 mile Ultra in august, and got in around 6 quality runs/intensity. Mostly training at 8:45->8:05 a mile.
My neighbor trains a little less volume but much more track work due to time constraints, we paced each other to mile 15 before the wind took the best out of him and he faded to a 3:09 finish. So no magic needed in training, just go out and run for fun.

Caporegime
Agreed, i'm sure i could've gone and probably would've been fine but having drank lots of water today i know i'll be good for tonight.

Do you run at set times each day?

My plan was to get out today and tomorrow but with not going till tonight i'm not sure it's a good idea to go out tomorrow morning and have only 8 hours between runs.

I try to run 6am each day, often ends up closer to 6:45am, and when it is extra hot I get out by 5am. In winter on the weekend i might run in the afternoon depending on the kids napping schedule.
I occasionally run doubles, soemthign like 4-7 in the morning and 3-6 in the evening, there are some pros and cons to this but the reduced recovery time is noticeable.

One thing for sure is it is more important to get the run done than worry too mch about only havign 8 horus between runs etc, or only having the time for very short run. If you schedule only allows and afternoon run today and a morning tomorrow so be it, don;t push tomorrows run too hard a
nd there is no problem.

Back
Top Bottom