Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Soldato
Haha cheers. Was good to meet you too. I probably should’ve been more sociable afterwards but I had to dash off as still had loads of jobs to do!

Given I was expecting around 1:05 I was really happy with 59:14. You were right about the clock!

You did bloody well to get that time in that state. Was your girlfriend as annoyed with her time as you thought she’d be?

My right shin was really sore as I was walking home. It’s easing now but no amount of stretching on the walk fixed it!

Soldato
Well last night wasn't a success. Was playing football at 8pm, so the plan was to stay at work till around 6, go for a run around the lake next to work (around 5k) and then drive to footy.

Flaws listed in the order they occured

1 - It's pitch black around said lake at that time so i'd ordered a headtorch from Amazon to be delivered. Say's it was delivered but i have no idea where.

If you end up re-ordering, can recommend a headtorch from Alpkit.com. Mrs Chri5 has a Viper which is one of the smaller / lighter model, I've got the (discontinued) Arc. They see loads of use through the winter as all our running from home is on unlit country lanes.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Haha cheers. Was good to meet you too. I probably should’ve been more sociable afterwards but I had to dash off as still had loads of jobs to do!

Given I was expecting around 1:05 I was really happy with 59:14. You were right about the clock!

You did bloody well to get that time in that state. Was your girlfriend as annoyed with her time as you thought she’d be?

My right shin was really sore as I was walking home. It’s easing now but no amount of stretching on the walk fixed it!

It's not a problem. Bet you're chuffed with that time, good momentum for the next one.

I honestly have no idea how I went from almost calling it off to getting myself 4 mins faster than my first and only 10k so far. I'm 2 months into running, madness. The worst part was worrying if I was going to Paula Radcliffe it half way around, my bowels had some interesting feelings! Never drinking the night before a race ever again.

She wasn't unhappy, both felt we achieved something and learnt a valuable lesson haha. She wasn't well though afterwards so we pretty much went straight back home.

My left leg was sore, I blame all those left turns, but it's alright now. Day off running today, I still feel pretty awful to be honest.

Got Wilmslow on Sunday.

Soldato
Glad she wasn't unhappy. Hopefully her leg starts to recover. Must be annoying getting to a good position and then starting to get issues.

My right shin is still sore, never had pain there that's lasted longer than a few hours after a run, not helped by countless trips up and down stairs on the Saturday carrying Ikea boxes!

I'm with you, going to rest tonight and try and get out again tomorrow. I've nothing else planned though. Not sure i can be bothered to keep paying for runs!

Associate
Decided to give it a try again as the blister seemed to have calmed down sufficiently. Cut short to 3km as it definitely hasn't :(

Thinking at present that I stop running for a week or so and do some cycling or weights in the meantime. Arghh :(

Associate
I was meant to do a 10k at work today, in the end didn't go into the office, so will most likely go out with the GF and help her get her pace up. She has only been running around 1 month, she is following a half marathon plan, and I normally go with her on the Sundays which is her longer run. Its quite nice doing near 10 minute miles :p

Soldato
So being busy all weekend, I hadn't had chance to get out. I did my first jog today, only 1.6 miles so it was short. I'm meant to be going out tomorrow with my girlfriend for a jog in the morning, that would be around 3 miles.

I don't know if I've simply just slept funny (daughter somehow causes me to end up near bottom of bed) but had slight pain on the top of my left foot, doesn't hurt to touch and doesn't look any different. Was sort of there since waking up but it wasn't unbearable, it still isn't but after running today it has become more noticeable. Hope a good sleep tonight with fix it, otherwise I'll have to rest another day.

Caporegime
So being busy all weekend, I hadn't had chance to get out. I did my first jog today, only 1.6 miles so it was short. I'm meant to be going out tomorrow with my girlfriend for a jog in the morning, that would be around 3 miles.

I don't know if I've simply just slept funny (daughter somehow causes me to end up near bottom of bed) but had slight pain on the top of my left foot, doesn't hurt to touch and doesn't look any different. Was sort of there since waking up but it wasn't unbearable, it still isn't but after running today it has become more noticeable. Hope a good sleep tonight with fix it, otherwise I'll have to rest another day.

If you have a tender spot on top of the foot it just be tendinitis. I got this in the spring after doing a load of ski tours and my ski boots don't fit quite right. Make sure you have very loose shoe laces. My road running shoes are basically close to falling off. If you do a Google search you will find some diagrams showing different methods of tying laces based on your problems. One of the patterns helps keep the upper foot more open.

Associate
After not running for 10 days due to a chesty cold i'm off for a gentle 10K in the dark, this will be my first night run so i'm looking forward to it. Managed to grab a Silva Trail Runner 3X for £48 from a shop that I think had it listed wrong (RRP is £80). Has worked well for dog walks and should function fine for night trails i'm planning, only 250 Lumen but with 6 hour burn time should be enough.

Really struggling to force myself out to run at the moment as I have no races or events planned, when I do get out I'm enjoying it more but am definitely in the running duldrums. Be nice to see my name on the OCUK strava runners again :)

Soldato
After not running for 10 days due to a chesty cold i'm off for a gentle 10K in the dark, this will be my first night run so i'm looking forward to it. Managed to grab a Silva Trail Runner 3X for £48 from a shop that I think had it listed wrong (RRP is £80). Has worked well for dog walks and should function fine for night trails i'm planning, only 250 Lumen but with 6 hour burn time should be enough.

Really struggling to force myself out to run at the moment as I have no races or events planned, when I do get out I'm enjoying it more but am definitely in the running duldrums. Be nice to see my name on the OCUK strava runners again :)

My Alpkit Arc is "only" 190 lumens on full power but that's fine for unlit country lanes

Dup

Dup

Soldato
I've just booked onto the Longridge 7 Xmas pudding (7 mile run, ~700ft climbing), Ribble Valley 10k and have Wilmslow 10k this Sunday.

I reckon I've caught the running bug! Couple months ago 2.5 miles was a challenge and it's a fact I can't quite fathom but I'm proud of. Loving it.

Associate
My Alpkit Arc is "only" 190 lumens on full power but that's fine for unlit country lanes
That's good to know, the price of most units recommended for night trails was way out of my price league, running is supposed to be my cheap wench of a hobby. I will be spending most of my night runs on the South Downs Way or within a few miles, will be staying off of roads; just an emergency kit and mobile for company + letting others know where I am going and when to expect me back.

Soldato
That's good to know, the price of most units recommended for night trails was way out of my price league, running is supposed to be my cheap wench of a hobby. I will be spending most of my night runs on the South Downs Way or within a few miles, will be staying off of roads; just an emergency kit and mobile for company + letting others know where I am going and when to expect me back.

I don't run my Arc on full power most of the time either, so the Silva should be good. If it's clear night with a decent moon, I'm happy running without the headtorch on road. I'll flick it back on if I see traffic coming towards me and I always have a flashing red rear (multi) LED on at night.

Can also highly recommend one of these from DX for 8 quid:

http://www.dx.com/p/salzmann-50019-...or-sports-reflective-safety-vest-black-353307

Very breathable and lightweight but the big reflective panels really stand out once hit by headlights.

If you take an Android or iPhone out, then the free Viewranger app has Buddy Beacon if you want to let somebody else track or find your last transmitted location (3G/4G allowing of course)

http://support.viewranger.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=111

Soldato
Make sure you have very loose shoe laces. My road running shoes are basically close to falling off. If you do a Google search you will find some diagrams showing different methods of tying laces based on your problems. One of the patterns helps keep the upper foot more open.

Thanks for this! I never actually considered changing the lacing on my shoes. After some searching, I came across this diagram (https://runrepeat.com/top-10-running-shoe-lacing-techniques). Laced them up using the "Too tight on top" method. Going to keep resting now and see if I can go out in a few days.

Ended up taking paracetamol to keep my mind off it everytime I get up to move.

Associate
Interesting that you mention having shoes loose. I always tighten mine up fairly well but I am wondering if that is not the best way to go about it.

I have had times in the past where i get tingly feelings at the top of my foot so i think I may well try the "Too tight on top" method as well

Associate
I don't run my Arc on full power most of the time either, so the Silva should be good. If it's clear night with a decent moon, I'm happy running without the headtorch on road. I'll flick it back on if I see traffic coming towards me and I always have a flashing red rear (multi) LED on at night.

Can also highly recommend one of these from DX for 8 quid:

http://www.dx.com/p/salzmann-50019-...or-sports-reflective-safety-vest-black-353307

Very breathable and lightweight but the big reflective panels really stand out once hit by headlights.

If you take an Android or iPhone out, then the free Viewranger app has Buddy Beacon if you want to let somebody else track or find your last transmitted location (3G/4G allowing of course)

http://support.viewranger.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=111
Thanks for this, I really do need some new hi vis and the app looks very useful.

Did the run just fine, the torch was easily bright enough and I barely noticed wearing it. The light pattern illuminates everything around as well as having a spot in the middle, could see so much more compared to my Lyzyne bike lights which are just a single spot rather than an all around light, put me more at ease being able to see the trees above as well as the ground at my feet. I did take a much easier alternative route than planned just in case but can now carry on with some more remote routes with hills.

Associate
I've ordered a Garmin 235, I was waiting to see if the price dropped at all today. They are on offer for £165, so ordered. My trusty 405 is starting to show its age. I'm going to need new shoes soon too, my general purpose shoes (Asics Cumulus) have done nearly 900km, and they don't feel the same anymore. I'm going to try on some Brooks Ghost 10 and Adidas Ultra Boosts I think.

I looked at my mileage for the year and 1000 is doable with a few more long runs before the end of the year.

Back
Top Bottom