Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Dup

Dup

Soldato
@Flukester is this something that happens only if your shirt becomes soaked? I'm guessing the friction is causing rubbing? This is the first time I've heard about this for running.

I've had it cycling and running. It's friction when clothes are wet. They sell creams for it, and for saddle areas for cyclists... however I find surgical tape to be effective and a bit less kinky.

Man of Honour
@Flukester is this something that happens only if your shirt becomes soaked? I'm guessing the friction is causing rubbing? This is the first time I've heard about this for running.

Mostly... think the moisture increases friction somehow, but I also have one running shirt with a seam that runs across my chest that does same... I had this shirt on top of another so that probably didn't help

Just had first run with S3 Apple Watch and it's feels much faster. No lag on Strava app and music played smoother. It's kinda sad that it took a big bump in CPU power to fix Stravas bad coding

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I've had it cycling and running. It's friction when clothes are wet. They sell creams for it, and for saddle areas for cyclists... however I find surgical tape to be effective and a bit less kinky.

I find plaster strips cut to size do a good job and are probably a bit easier to remove than surgical tape but whatever works for you.

Associate
Mostly... think the moisture increases friction somehow, but I also have one running shirt with a seam that runs across my chest that does same... I had this shirt on top of another so that probably didn't help

Just had first run with S3 Apple Watch and it's feels much faster. No lag on Strava app and music played smoother. It's kinda sad that it took a big bump in CPU power to fix Stravas bad coding

I had this issue when my top was moist. I found it was best to use cream and rub it into affected area in circular motions while watching in the mirror......oh I mean....

Soldato
Well last night wasn't a success. Was playing football at 8pm, so the plan was to stay at work till around 6, go for a run around the lake next to work (around 5k) and then drive to footy.

Flaws listed in the order they occured

1 - It's pitch black around said lake at that time so i'd ordered a headtorch from Amazon to be delivered. Say's it was delivered but i have no idea where. We're on a big industrial estate so could be anywhere - No local run

2 - Decide instead to have some food at work and then leave at half 6, get to where i play footy around 7 and run around the streets. Leave work but get caught in horrendous traffic. Finally get to football about 5 mins before kickoff. No outdoor run

3 - Hang around for about 15 minutes only for the other team not to turn up yet no-one at Powerleague bothered to tell us!

Then got home and decided to spend some time with the wife instead of running as tonight and all day tomorrow i'm helping my parents move into their new flat. Going in involve lots of lifting and stairs. Great prep for my first 10k!

Trying to decide if it's a good idea to do a short run either tonight or tomorrow morning if i get chance or just leave it till Sunday.

Soldato
On the plus side i've talked my wife into agreeing a change of house is a good option and are going to look at 2 properties around here. That big patch of green is Cuerdon Valley Nature reserve which hosts a weekly park run, it's a lovely place and apparently known as one of the tougher park runs. I know i found it a lot tougher than the Preston one i tried.

2dnzW2O.png

Soldato
Running the Parkrun route with my sister on Wednesday probably helped. This morning I went out for my final run this week (busy all weekend:(). Took the same 3 mile route I did last time in my area and my previous average was 11:04/mi and today had an average 10:37/mi. I ran more of the route without stopping also this time, felt good and it's the first run that's made me actually sweat a little.

Caporegime
Well last night wasn't a success. Was playing football at 8pm, so the plan was to stay at work till around 6, go for a run around the lake next to work (around 5k) and then drive to footy.

Flaws listed in the order they occured

1 - It's pitch black around said lake at that time so i'd ordered a headtorch from Amazon to be delivered. Say's it was delivered but i have no idea where. We're on a big industrial estate so could be anywhere - No local run

2 - Decide instead to have some food at work and then leave at half 6, get to where i play footy around 7 and run around the streets. Leave work but get caught in horrendous traffic. Finally get to football about 5 mins before kickoff. No outdoor run

3 - Hang around for about 15 minutes only for the other team not to turn up yet no-one at Powerleague bothered to tell us!

Then got home and decided to spend some time with the wife instead of running as tonight and all day tomorrow i'm helping my parents move into their new flat. Going in involve lots of lifting and stairs. Great prep for my first 10k!

Trying to decide if it's a good idea to do a short run either tonight or tomorrow morning if i get chance or just leave it till Sunday.

Life happens.

I am not a morning person at all but for reasons like this is why I just set the alarm early and get the run done before life can intervene too much.

Caporegime
On the plus side i've talked my wife into agreeing a change of house is a good option and are going to look at 2 properties around here. That big patch of green is Cuerdon Valley Nature reserve which hosts a weekly park run, it's a lovely place and apparently known as one of the tougher park runs. I know i found it a lot tougher than the Preston one i tried.

You know you running is serious when you more house to be closer to better running~

Caporegime
Nice!. I'm also moving home/country/contintent, next month I will be here:

Int he vineyards just above Rolle, Switzerland. I can run along relatively level concrete trails through the vineyards, drop down 400ft to run along the lake side or climb 100ft through steep forest tracks to end p on the flat plateau. For my Ultra training I can run to The Jura mountains and back from my house.

Just a small upgrade form suburban America!

Soldato
I went for a run after work last night and was disappointed to find my toes hurting again after about 6km, started with them feeling a little tingly/numb but by 7km they were hurting with every step and it felt like my shoe was too tight around the foot. Before I drove home I had to loosen the laces right off to ease the feeling though it didn't really seem like they were actually tight, just felt like it to my foot.

Back to the running shop tomorrow to see what they suggest, maybe remoulding the inner soles I have to give more transverse arch support, or maybe I'll have to get a refund on them and head bak to the doctor to see if I can get referred to a podiatrist or sports physio. Tis very frustrating having not had any issues for the last year since I started running, and with intentions to enter some half marathons next year.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Nice to meet you today @Marvt74 and congrats on your time, great effort!

Apologies if I was a little odd, I was absolutely hanging. We both were! How I got around in 52:46 I have no idea as I threw up before I set off in the car! Had to go back to bed when we got home.

Back
Top Bottom