Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Associate
Weight loss is dependant on using more calories than you take in. So the answer will depend on diet. If you are eating Maccy D's and drinking like a fish, and have an otherwise sedentary lifestyle, then its probably not enough.

However if your weight was stable, you haven't changed your diet, and this is excercising is new to your life, then yes you'll probably lose some weight. For myself (a bit over 13 stone), a 4.5 mile run would burn off around 600 calories.

My diet is the same, I do eat junk here and there and pig out..

I used to just run 4-5x a week (5milers) and within the year I lost near a stone, now because of other commitments I'm only able to able to 2-3x a week. so I run tiwce a week and gymn once a week but I find im not losing any weight now:S

Soldato
My diet is the same, I do eat junk here and there and pig out..

I used to just run 4-5x a week (5milers) and within the year I lost near a stone, now because of other commitments I'm only able to able to 2-3x a week. so I run tiwce a week and gymn once a week but I find im not losing any weight now:S

Adjust your diet to lose fat. Might get more replies to dietary advice in the gymrats thread.

Soldato
Finally getting back on track after a nasty toe break end of last year. Was hoping to get some races in this year but my times had been pretty bad compared to how i was just before the break. Just done 10k dead on 49 mins which is a massive 4 min improvement over my last run. A long way to go to get back down to 46 but at least im getting somewhere now, was beginning to feel like i was stuck in a rut.

Soldato
Hey chris, good effort. 10k's are bad enough without hills, hope the pain hasn't put you off the next. :)

Nope, have found a 10k in May (Muller 10k) that looks fast and flat. I'm quite chuffed with the time for the 2nd 5k last Sunday - only a tad slower than I've run 5k on it's own.

Also, I've got a place in the Great North Run this year :D I suspect there will be far too many runners to be thinking about time, so probably an event to enjoy the crowds

Soldato
Hi Chaps,

When I bought my LunarGlides last summer, they served me really well, into the winter too, but over the last 2-3 months, I feel like the support has gone, my right shin/calf is experiencing the pain it used to before I bought these. I think the sole has 'flattened'. Can I buy new inserts/inner soles from somewhere? Or do I just have to buy new trainers?

Thanks

sid

sid

Soldato
I'm about to go for my very first 5k now !!!

i've only been running since the start of the year so around 6 weeks. I'm aiming for under 30 mins but I'm still having to walk sections so I dunno tbh

I'll be happy if i can do it without an injury

sid

Associate
I'm about to go for my very first 5k now !!!

i've only been running since the start of the year so around 6 weeks. I'm aiming for under 30 mins but I'm still having to walk sections so I dunno tbh

I'll be happy if i can do it without an injury

sid

I've had quite a long time off running, while I'm enjoying it once again I'm kind of disappointed how much I still have to drop to a walk, been back about 3-4 weeks now, I remember the last time I had a 'break' I was back to running fine after 2 weeks but I guess my latest break was longer than I thought :mad:

Hope you enjoyed the 5k!

sid

sid

Soldato
I did it in about 29:30 which I'm happy with :)

Next time I want to do in the early 20s.

Gosh my ankles hurt a fair bit

Sid

Soldato
Help me improve my fitness please.

I'd say when I was 16 or 17 I had peak fitness being able to run 3 miles around 7 mins a mile. I remember in hour long football games, my fitness was never a problem. Would be able to have all full sprints deep into games where my pace was a major asset.

Fast forward 5 years and I can barely last 5 mins in a 5 a side game. Since I enjoy playing football, this is a problem and so am attempting to get upto scratch.

At the moment I'm doing runs where I run a mile, walk at a brisk pace for half a mile and run another mile (route actually works out to be 3.5 miles). Been doing 2 sets of these a day 4 times a week for about a week now (just back from one). My fitness is getting better but including walking still at around 11 mins a mile each set.

I would love to do something longer but my short term goal is at the moment is to get to the level where I can run 3 miles under 20 mins so I can last 5 aside games.

Also according to the app on my phone, I burn around 600 extra calories each day I go running. Best to have extra carbs in food for this or use sugary drinks with the runs? I may as well lose a bit of fat I've built up over the years, so don't want to totally compensate but fitness is the priority.

Last edited:
Soldato
Did 10k in 47:33 earlier today, another PB. Had 110 cals of dextrose in water about 25 minutes beforehand and 110 cals mixed in with my water while running, definitely helped. Plenty left in the tank I feel.

Caporegime
Started getting more into running recently, and mostly been on the treadmill. Has also helped me kick the fags (which will be one week tomorrow :D). Just back from 5.5 miler, forgot to time it though.

Will be going out more often, much much more fun than the treadmill.

Now to replace me knackert New Balances! :p

Associate
Help me improve my fitness please.

I'd say when I was 16 or 17 I had peak fitness being able to run 3 miles around 7 mins a mile. I remember in hour long football games, my fitness was never a problem. Would be able to have all full sprints deep into games where my pace was a major asset.

Fast forward 5 years and I can barely last 5 mins in a 5 a side game. Since I enjoy playing football, this is a problem and so am attempting to get upto scratch.

At the moment I'm doing runs where I run a mile, walk at a brisk pace for half a mile and run another mile (route actually works out to be 3.5 miles). Been doing 2 sets of these a day 4 times a week for about a week now (just back from one). My fitness is getting better but including walking still at around 11 mins a mile each set.

I would love to do something longer but my short term goal is at the moment is to get to the level where I can run 3 miles under 20 mins so I can last 5 aside games.

Also according to the app on my phone, I burn around 600 extra calories each day I go running. Best to have extra carbs in food for this or use sugary drinks with the runs? I may as well lose a bit of fat I've built up over the years, so don't want to totally compensate but fitness is the priority.

My advice to you is to try and slowly cut out the walking and get to the point where you are running all of the way around. Once you can do this comfortably then add in one longer run in your training schedule. You need to build stamina and this will help you to do it. Running sub-20min 5k's is a tough 'short-term goal' but you do have age on your side.

Soldato
How long do you think it will take to nail sub 20 mins 5k?

I've set that as my target for next year this time

sid

That would depend on how much you train surely but sub 20mins is pretty fast. I run 2 times a week and started just over 6 months ago and can only run low 27mins but that was from being an over weight couch potato and am 38. If you are fit and train frequently Im sure you will achieve what you want in a year.

Last edited:
Soldato
That would depend on how much you train surely but sub 20mins is pretty fast. I run 2 times a week and started just over 6 months ago and can only run low 27mins but that was from being an over weight couch potato and am 38. If you are fit and train frequently Im sure you will achieve what you want in a year.

I would say sub 20 is darn quick too.

I can hit 24 minutes for 5k - four minutes faster would kill me!

Soldato
I got from 25 mins down to 20 mins 50 secs in under a year but did play football once a week before i started. Broke my toe since then though and struggling to hit 23 now :(.

Associate
Sid - once you are doing 5k's non-stop then start adding in sprint sections into your 5k. e.g. "Run to the next lamp post flat out" Do this for a couple of weeks and then add a second sprint in etc. This type of speed training should help you attain your goal. I would say though that <20 minute 5k's is probably 'club runner' standard. You should also be looking at doing one long(er) slow(er) run per week also. My best 5k race time is only 24 minutes so I am no expert though! (I WILL beat that time this year!)

Back
Top Bottom