Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Caporegime
OP
Well I now have a shiny new pair of Brooks Adrenaline 9 GTS. Good thing too because one of the other recommended shoes was a Nike, and I don't think I could bring myself to buy those!

Associate
Well I now have a shiny new pair of Brooks Adrenaline 9 GTS. Good thing too because one of the other recommended shoes was a Nike, and I don't think I could bring myself to buy those!

I tried some Brooks Radius 7 a while back when i went for a gait analysis and they have been a dream to wear, They were my first ever proper running shoes too ;)

I even bought 2 more pairs since then and probably will be ordering some more when i need new ones :D Unless something really catches my eye in the meantime!

Soldato
Just come across this shop: http://www.leicesterrunningshop.co.uk/index.php

Anyone used it?
Yes. Got my last pair of trainers from there and the guy really knows his stuff. Well worth a visit. He's a runner himself and a member of the Leics Road Running League so I often see him at races.

Running Fox in Loughborough is also very popular, but the shoes they fitted me with were too supportive and I ended up with a knee problem. A couple of other people have also said the same. They err on the side of caution when it comes to support.

I run in Mizuno Wave Inspire 5's. On my second pair at the moment and am looking for a new pair for when these run out. The only trouble is that they've been replaced by the Wave Inspire 6 and I need a half size, so they're getting hard to come by.

Associate
Well, the Eastleigh 10k went well and I was delighted with a time of 50':45'' - although a bad stitch in the last 500m probably meant I could've been a bit faster! So this is a PB for me (as I have never done a 10k race before!) Have got a few 5k races coming up now so will concentrate on getting my times down and beating my PB of 24':33''.

Soldato
Anyone got any protips to stop getting blisters on the insides of my feet? I wear plasters over them when running but after 30-40 minutes they'll flare up again and start to get bad.

Soldato
Are your trainers too big? I used to get big long blisters all up my instep, until I swapped my trainers. The guy in the shop said my old ones were too big for me and took me down half a size. Hey presto, no more blisters :)

Associate
I only ever had blisters from my trainers rubbing so it could just be as simple as your trainers rubbing? because of them either not fitting properly or not being tight enough.

As it happens i went over on my ankle last friday because i didn't tie my laces tight enough :( So i am kinda out of action till i heal up a bit :eek:

"It hurt, it hurt a lot !!

Soldato
I ran the Air Products 10k in Crewe this morning, clocked 50:43. So getting closer to the elusive 50 minute barrier.

Splits were:

1km - 5:12
2km - 5:11
3km - 5:12
4km - Missed the marker entirely (must have been the girl with the lycra tights on in front of me...)
5km - 10:19 (so keeping to 5:10/km)
6km - 5:11
7km - 5:01
8km - 4:57
9km - 4:51
10km - 4:39

I normally use my HRM to see how hard I'm working (hence above or below 5min/km), but it had it a hissy fit on the start line and reckons I averaged 81bpm for the whole race :rolleyes:

I've just spotted Garmin have the Forerunner 110 out very soon:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=63511

Sold to this man here!

Edit... scrub the 110, I've just spotted it doesn't do alarms if you are outside your target pace.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom