Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Associate
If it's the first race of the year lemonkettaz then just put it down to experience and try and better it next time! :) What's your 5k PB?
I have my first race a week Sunday - the B&Q 10k in Eastleigh. 2,000 runners should make it a good'un :cool:
Not actually raced in a 10k yet so it will be a PB whatever! ;)
My goals for this year are to beat all my times for 5k, 10k (see above!), 5mi and 10mi (Great South)
I have a race lined up every month now until October I think - I'm looking forward to it. :D

Last edited:
Soldato
If it's the first race of the year lemonkettaz then just put it down to experience and try and better it next time! :) What's your 5k PB?
I have my first race a week Sunday - the B&Q 10k in Eastleigh. 2,000 runners should make it a good'un :cool:
My goals for this year are to beat all my times for 5k, 10k (see above!), 5mi and 10mi (Great South)
I have a race lined up every month now until October I think - I'm looking forward to it. :D

Good luck with your goals.

I hate 10ks, as alway feel like throwing up after them! That said debating wether to enter a local one next weekend. Came in 2nd place last year with a PB last year so would want to better that. Not sure it's a good idea to push that hard with VLM looming though....

sid

sid

Soldato
Cheers,

Looks like most runs are around the 10k mark with a few 5k ones.

I would like to be running 10k by the end of the year

sid

Soldato

It was an army regimental 5k and 10k, I've never raced a 5k before so I guess 29:00 is my best.

Although minus 2 massive hills I could easily get 4-5mins off that.

I'm gearing up towards a 10mile run soon so it's all good experience for that

Soldato
Ok, did my first run in 7 months at the weekend. I had an injury to my patella tendon that required 6 weeks of physio and since then I've had 'the fear' that my knee would just start hurting as soon as I started.

Anyway, I finally bit the bullet and it was great. I was planning on doing 3k but ended up doing 5.5k because I felt so good. 29 minutes isn't a bad time for so long out. It was great and I didn't realise how much I'd missed running.

This morning, however, I legs were screwed. I think the fact I've been cycling so much (injury / pain was impact related) my body just wasn't ready. Had 30 mins deep tissue massage today and it hurt so bad, my ITBs, groin, quads, hams and calves were all just about seized. I cycled to and from work today 34 mile round trip) and didn't feel an thing; as soon as I step off the bike and walk it's a completely different story.

Anyway, lots of stretching on order and another visit to the masseuse before the end of the week.

Soldato
Have you tried compression tights? I have Linebreak shorts which I run in and I've heard good comments from people who have slept in Skins or other tights after a hard race (to aid/speed recovery)

Soldato
Just wanted to say thanks Platypus for a great guide.

My other half has just started to take up running, so we went upto Northern Runner in Newcastle as linked on your guide. Staff and shop were fantastic, she runs with a lot more comfort after getting fitted with shoes to fit her needs. Cheers ;)

Associate
What earphones does any of you use whilst running?

I bought a set of Sennheiser omx 80 and I forever have to readjust the right ear phone... They are designed for sport and supposed to sit and that is it....

Do I just have odd shaped right ear ha

Try Soundmagic PL30's, they blew my expectations of in-ear headphones straight out of the water lol

Soldato
Have you tried compression tights? I have Linebreak shorts which I run in and I've heard good comments from people who have slept in Skins or other tights after a hard race (to aid/speed recovery)

Yeah, I've got them and I find them good for recovery, but this was in a different league. Second massage session booked for today should sort it.

Caporegime
OP
Just wanted to say thanks Platypus for a great guide.

My other half has just started to take up running, so we went upto Northern Runner in Newcastle as linked on your guide. Staff and shop were fantastic, she runs with a lot more comfort after getting fitted with shoes to fit her needs. Cheers ;)
Glad it helped.

I'm off for a trainer fitting at lunchtime, what fun :D.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
[DOD]Asprilla;16211329 said:
Ok, did my first run in 7 months at the weekend. I had an injury to my patella tendon that required 6 weeks of physio and since then I've had 'the fear' that my knee would just start hurting as soon as I started.
I have a knee strap that I wore for ~6 months after having patella tendinitis, and it really helped.

You're more then welcome to it as I don't use it any more (it's been washed!), or if you want to buy a new one a quick search found it here.

Caporegime
OP
Does anyone know where i can get hold of an mp3 that beeps every 1 minute or even 30 seconds would do? It needs to be around 15/30 minutes long or even longer if possible.

I was looking for it for some interval type training :D
You can download an official bleep test from the Army website?

Caporegime
OP
Got the list of races my training partner and I are going to enter this year:

Sunday 2nd May Grand East Anglia Run, Kings Lynn... 10K (pre-entry)
Thurs 6th May Cambridge Tri club 5K (impington) at 7pm (register on the web site, pay on the night) (RUN 1)
Sat 8th May Fell Race in the Peak District (drive up for the day, 2 and 1/2 hr drive) Cressbrook Crawl
Sun 9th May Sawston Fun Run, the usual Hash effort, cycle down there then pub afterwards
Thurs 27th May Cambridge Tri club 5K (impington) at 7pm (RUN 2)
Sunday 30th May Mull of Kintyre Half marathon (500 mile drive to the start)
Thursday 10th June Ely Runners 10K handicap 7pm or 5K Cambridge Tri club (RUN 3) 7pm
Thursday 1st July Saffron Walden 5K at 7pm.
Wednesday 7th July St Radegund handicap race, Fen Ditton back to the Rad, 7pm.
Thursday 2nd Sept Newmarket 5K at 7pm.
Sunday 12th Sept Grunty Fen 1/2 M
Sunday 19th Sept Chariots of Fire
Late Sept Yorkshire Three Peaks Cyclo-cross
Sunday 3rd Oct 10 mile race on the South Downs in Lewes
Sunday early Nov, The Whole Hog Run, Woodbridge Suffolk, teams of 3.
Mid Nov Brighton 10K
Sunday 28th Nov Hereward Way relay or Hell Down South
(2 or 3 fell races in Yorkshire in Nov/Dec thrown in for good measure) such as:
Kettlewell (early Nov)
Bolton-by-Bowland (early Dec)
The Stoop (mid Dec)

Should be a good season :).

Associate
You can download an official bleep test from the Army website?

I got that one a while back ;) It's very good for messing about with on my local field with all the dog walkers about, they must think i am nuts by now running back and forth :D

Anyway, i was after something that i could put on my phone or ipod that would beep/bleep every 30/60 and 90 seconds so that i could help my partner get up and running with me (She is a beginner) so i am helping her do a run/walk type of programme to get started ;)

As it happens i found a programme called Audacity and found some sample beeps and i made some of my own mp3's that have 30/60 and 90 second interval beep/bleeps and they work well, I'll upload then later on if anyone needs them...

"EDIT"

Here ya go, I uploaded some mp3's i made earlier :: http://www.mediafire.com/t1cybernetic

Last edited:
Soldato
I have a knee strap that I wore for ~6 months after having patella tendinitis, and it really helped.

You're more then welcome to it as I don't use it any more (it's been washed!), or if you want to buy a new one a quick search found it here.

Cheers, but the knee is all good now, no pain or discomfort at all. My problems are now muscularand that can easily be fixed though regular use and stretching.

I think it's because my muscles were used to cycling exclusively (shortening of the hamstrigs, etc) and then when i ran I used muscles in a way they hadn't been used for some time. My muscles complained, but to quote Jens Voigt 'Shut up legs'.

Back
Top Bottom