Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Thanks for that advice, I'm only running once per week atm , and the other time is on the cross trainer so progress will be slow but I'm only 23 so I have age on my side

sid

Enjoying my new pair of Nike Air Pegasus 26+ trainers that I picked up today from Up and Running in Nottingham after first time gait analysis. Discovered that I'm a squarely neutral runner, and these cushioned shoes do the job perfectly- just had an hours treadmill session and they're marvellous. To think that up to this point I was using three year old (!) trainers, the cushioning was utterly shot!

Just back from just over 11k, need to start timing myself though.

Been doing HIIT all week in the gym and felt the difference on my road run this morning. Stamina was much much better, even if my legs are feeling the pain a bit.

I mapped my route using http://www.runningmap.com Is there anything better I can use its a bit meh as in doesn't show some routes which google maps does. But google maps won't allow you to route it as isn't a road.

Thanks

Use http://www.mapmyrun.com - I think that's what most people use.

Also look at getting yourself a Garmin forerunner watch. I have one and it's fantastic.

Thanks for that, doesn't work for some reason. Need to see whats missing from my browser!

I have had a quick look at them before, I assume they are much better than software for your phone?

Plus as a beginner I ain't (can't afford to) want to fork out £2-300 on one. But don't mind popping down £80 or so. Are these still worth it? Any models you can recommend? Thanks

edit - just realised only the more expensive ones come with GPS.

Last edited:
I 'only' have a Forerunner 205 - which was around £120 brand new. Have a look on the 'bay or shop around. I reckon you should be able to pick one up for less than £100. This is the lower end and doesn't come with a heart rate monitor but it has all the GPS gubbins. They really are great at helping to pace yourself (you can set alarms etc.) and also for distance measuring - they are very accurate. You can also upload all of your runs onto your PC for analysis etc. The more expensive ones have a few more features - but none that I would really use that much and they are also smaller in size. Not sure they warrant the extra cash imho.

Good screenies here: http://www.handtec.co.uk/product.php?xProd=277

Last edited:
Any one know of a good running shoe for someone that weights in at 17st.
Don't want anything to expensive unless thats all I can have.
I do cycle but want the option of going out for a runinstead of getting bike out.

you really need to goto a shop to see but i use New Balance 1063 and now 1064
you can phone the factory shop in shap and they will send you out a pair (as its a factory shop you can get the 1064 for £65 : ) )

What earphones does any of you use whilst running?

I bought a set of Sennheiser omx 80 and I forever have to readjust the right ear phone... They are designed for sport and supposed to sit and that is it....

Do I just have odd shaped right ear ha

Back
Top Bottom