Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Soldato
What do people use to track/monitor their runs? Currently use my phone (HTC Hero and Cardio trainer) but I dont like running with it in hand or pocket.

I see Garmin do a watch that can track it all, what do people think of these?

Man of Honour
What do people use to track/monitor their runs? Currently use my phone (HTC Hero and Cardio trainer) but I dont like running with it in hand or pocket.

I see Garmin do a watch that can track it all, what do people think of these?

i use my htc magic with my tracks and have it in a holder on my arm, i use it for music while I run. http://www.lansonrunning.com/access.../hilly/runner-s-mobile-phone-gel-carrier.aspx the holder thing is great as held in hand or pocket is uncumfortable. Might be worth trying one before you buy a watch

Soldato
That is the sort of thing I would like as it is very uncomfortable running with it in hand/pocket! Phone does a good job so would save me some £.

Ill see if I can find it a bit cheaper though cheers Skidder!

Soldato
I have a Garmin 405, which is fantastic. It also has a heart rate monitor that I can wear when I feel like it.

I ran with both my iPhone using the MapMyRun ap and the Garmin to see if there was any difference between them. The Garmin won hands down as it was much more accurate. The iPhone also missed chunks of the route where it lost reception.

They're pretty pricey though, so it really depends upon how much you're going to use it. It was definitely an investment for me as I run regularly.

Last edited:

sid

sid

Soldato
Guys,

I'm getting issues with shoulder stiches approx 1-2k into my runs. I'm guessing this is because my arms are not moving correctly?

Any tips on what to do ? Links would be appreciated

sid

dod

dod

Soldato
I'd be grateful for some advice as well please guys.

I'm 46, 13 stone 8lbs, 5' 11 and stopped smoking 8 weeks ago after having smoked for about 30 years. I started running about 6 weeks ago with the main aim of regaining some of the fitness I've ruined.

Right now I'm reasonably comfortable doing 2 miles in about 19 minutes, 4 or 5 times a week but I'm not really seeing or feeling any improvement in fitness, it's not getting any easier :p I have came down from a flat 14 stone though :)

Do I just stay with it till it feels better or should I be following some sort of training plan? At the moment I'm just getting on the treadmill and running :)

Soldato
The best thing to do is extend the distance yo do on each run. I've always been told to add about 10% per week until you get up to the distance you are looking for.

If you keep running the same distance then you won't see a massive improvement. It's all about getting miles under your belt.

Soldato
Thanks, I'll start to push things a bit and see how it goes :)

Cool. You don't have to go hell for leather, just a little more distance ach time.

Adding miles will increase your endurance and general overall fitness will improve and you'll start noticing that you are getting quicker without trying.

Your body is very good at adapting to do the minimum required to hit its goals, so unless you push it harder each session you won't see a change.

Soldato
Joined the gym today so fitness plan 1 is go! I went for a run on the treadmill, was doing 1min walk at 6kph, then 1min jog at 11kph 8 times each and then a cool down for 3mins. Turns out i run with the balls of my feet 1st, and now my tendons on top of my feet are aching from trying to correct this by running heel 1st... Does not feel natural running this way for me :(

Is 11kph a good speed or is it a bit quick for a very unfit beginner?

Caporegime
Joined the gym today so fitness plan 1 is go! I went for a run on the treadmill, was doing 1min walk at 6kph, then 1min jog at 11kph 8 times each and then a cool down for 3mins. Turns out i run with the balls of my feet 1st, and now my tendons on top of my feet are aching from trying to correct this by running heel 1st... Does not feel natural running this way for me :(

Its not a bad speed, but I would lower your speed and try to run for longer rather than walking. Try to run for say a full 10mins at level 9 (its all in your head remember). Then walk for 2-3 and repeat. Try to stay on for about 45 mins, this will help get your fitness up quicker imo.

Not saying what your doing is wrong, but just what I done to get back into it.

Soldato
Its not a bad speed, but I would lower your speed and try to run for longer rather than walking. Try to run for say a full 10mins at level 9 (its all in your head remember). Then walk for 2-3 and repeat. Try to stay on for about 45 mins, this will help get your fitness up quicker imo.

Not saying what your doing is wrong, but just what I done to get back into it.

Cheers Begbie, ill give that a go on Monday when i go back, though im not making any promises about being able to run for 10mins in one go! Its embarrassing just how unfit i am :(

Soldato

I'd rather be running on the balls of my feet than heel striking. Why have you decided that you need to run by striking heel first?

Associate
Most people naturally run by heel striking. Some people naturally run on the balls of their feet. There's no right or wrong way. There are differences in biomechanical efficiency however. If you are just starting running then do what is natural - don't try and change it.

dod

dod

Soldato
[DOD]Asprilla;16487286 said:
Cool. You don't have to go hell for leather, just a little more distance ach time..

well, it's getting better, up to about 3.5 miles in about 30/31 minutes. Not going to break any records but encouraging :)

sid

sid

Soldato
This has probably been asked before but whats a good shop in london for running shoes? I would like them to be properly fitted as well

sid

Back
Top Bottom