Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

sid

sid

Soldato
Do you know how much they charge for a fitted shoe? I was thinking of going to lillywhites in piccadilly circus as they seemed decent on the 6th floor

sid

Soldato
Do you know how much they charge for a fitted shoe? I was thinking of going to lillywhites in piccadilly circus as they seemed decent on the 6th floor

sid

Aren;t Lillywhites more of a fashion store than a running store? Try Runandbecome in St James / Victoria. They don't charge for fitting (no-one does) and they don't charge more than other shops for the same shoes. They just want to make sure that you have the shoe that's right for you.

Don't worry, they will be gentle if it's your first time.

Associate
I started running to loose weight about a month ago
23 years old and 17stone 6lb and thought enough is enough and better get myself fit.

So 17 or 18th April went out and did laps around our local field which works out to be 0.50k and following a few recommendations got myself a garmin FR60 (came a few days later) and some sports shorts and vest.

This morning I weighed myself and I'm 16stone 6lb but I am very close doing 30mins for 5k. Best was yesterday run at 30m:13s
Garmin connect.
I want to get my weight back down to 13stones (or even less). And get rid of this belly, which I have had forever.

Most days its simply a 30min runs but on days off I try to do an hour long run to increase stamina (thats the idea I think)

Diet has changed.
Breakfast I've been having (best of both)toast (3x Med Slices)/corn flakes with semi skimmed.
Snack is normally an granny smith apple (or 2)

Lunch can be either a cheap sandwich from sainsburys eg cheese or cheese and pickle or ham or made myself using ham and cheese. (I do like cheese)

Tea can be anything but I've been removing fat (blocked sink once when I forgot to run hot water) when I've been with mince meat so Lasagne, Chicken Curry (Jar stuff but changing to make my own), Veg Stir fry. And when my mum is cooking its normally chips and sausage or fish. - Tea hasn't changed that much but been trying healthier versions of what I normally have. And bought a healthy Italian cook book to try some new (and healthier) things.

Drinking wise its normally a coffee in the morning with 1 sugar (used to be 2) and semi milk again. Then through out the day its normally water or green tea or 100% fruit juice (not from concentrate).

I do know I still have one thing to get is get gait analysis (have to go to Bath for as Taunton/Bridgwater doesn't have any running shoe shops) and get proper running shoes. But been having no issues with what I got at the moment but on next purchase of shoes it will be seen by pro's.

But is there any issues on how fast or slow to loose weight and any recommendations on diet aswell.

Soldato
I do know I still have one thing to get is get gait analysis (have to go to Bath for as Taunton/Bridgwater doesn't have any running shoe shops) and get proper running shoes. But been having no issues with what I got at the moment but on next purchase of shoes it will be seen by pro's.

You're running, you have no problems, so why have a gait analysis? If it aint broke.... if all's ok just stick with it.

Soldato
You're running, you have no problems, so why have a gait analysis? If it aint broke.... if all's ok just stick with it.

How true is this!

I have been running in an old pair of Hi-Tech walking trainers with no problems at all. I am enjoying it so I decided to 'treat' myself to a pair of New Balance running shoes, as I have wide feet.

I bought a pair of NB 1064SRs however it turns out that I over pronate rather badly, the long and the short of it is I managed to twist my ankle (badly) on a pair of unsuitable shoes.

I know all of this could have been avoided now mearly by reading the good advice on this thread however my findings are:

If your shoes are comfartable, stick with them until they die.
When they die get a pair fitted by a running shop with a gait anaylsis set-up.

I can't stress this enough, I am in agony.

The lad I run with can believe that a pair of £30 Hi-Techs can be better than a £90 pair of NB's

Associate
I've finally started to get out running again. Took time off from running over winter as it was way too cold this far north.
Going to train slightly different this year, three times a week, with one 3km sprint/fast as I can run. 10km run and a 15km run, I'm hoping to get my 10km down to at least 39minutes.
I'm really surprised at how fit I've stayed considering I've not done that much running since November.

Caporegime
I ain't been running in over a month now, went tonight and my fitness just seems to have disappeared. To be fair I have done nothing but drink and smoke the past month and a half.

I am utterly disappointed with myself, now stopping the drink and getting up every morning at 6am to go a run before and after work. Can't believe how knackert I was, considering I was doing 10k before and feeling good after it.

Done 4k there and could barely breath! :(

Caporegime
[DOD]Asprilla;16705854 said:
Twice a day is quite a bit. Remember you do it because you enjoy it; if you run your self into the ground (pun not intended) then you may not be able to maintain it. Rest is jsut as important as exercise.

Yeah I know, shouldn't be too bad though. I ain't going to kill myself.

Just trying to fit longer runs into the day, so splitting it up between the morning and afternoon. Just to get back into the swing of things.

I don't think I have ever enjoyed running that much anyway, but when I do I easily notice the gains. Which is enough enjoyment in itself.

Soldato
Got some Asics Gel Kayano's today as I over pronate, can't wait to get back into proper running. Hope my legs are pain free soon as I've had shin splints for a while with the wrong shoes.

Soldato
Im going to go get my gait sorted soon and look at some new trainers possibly. Seen some rather funky orange ones I want!

Does anyone have any tips for actual running technique? I have been going to physio for various reasons and one of them is due to cramp I get in my left hip. I have very tight ham strings and they are relatively weak.

My physio says my legs are out of proportion I have over compensated for the weak/tight ham strings and my quads have developed more instead.

I feel when I run I'm maybe a little flat footed and land to heavily on my heels and dont use enough of hamstrings to kind of kick my leg through a stride. When I do running on the treadmill its like I take more strides than I need as I can take bigger ones and less.

Soldato
My physio says my legs are out of proportion I have over compensated for the weak/tight ham strings and my quads have developed more instead.

Don't worry too much, this is the case with most people.

According to various physios / osteos I have double scoliosis (my spine is s-shaped) which causes a rotation of my pelvis. This rotation either causes my leg to appear to be different lengths or is a result of my legs actually being different lengths.

My jaw dropped when I was first told this, since i'd never seen myself as an Igor-esq hunchback needing a built-up shoe. Apparently though most people are as badly put together as I am.

Soldato
Very intersting post(s) Platypus!
Was shocked to see you recomended such a long warm up just for going for a run though - is this really aimed at people who are doing 5-10 mile runs a day or people who just do a 2 mile run after work (like me :) )
I generally do about 30 seconds of stretching before hand but if this is considered insufficient / dangerous then I'll adapt immidiately!

Soldato
No stretching required prior to a run imo and no evidence to suggest that it is beneficial either as far as I'm aware. Warming up is good though, but can be incorporated into the start of your run.

My long runs will be started from cold, no matter how far. Speed work will always have a slow paced mile to warm up before the efforts. Works for me.

Stretch off afterwards though.

Caporegime
Some weather to be running in! Just back from 10k, doesn't help its all hills round here.

Much better than doing it when its cold, thats for sure!

Quick question (possibly daft) - running on the road, facing or not facing the traffic? I.E left or right?

Soldato

Same here for the VERY brief periods I run on roads (I have a lot of nice areas around me great for running :) ). Speaking of running I havent ran for ages due to the shin splints I had, tried a 25 minute run one week, hurt the day after, tried the next week and the same happened (I think that was up to two weeks ago now..?).

Gonna make a start back after I get back from T in the park (Im gonna need to work off all that alcohol!) so after 12th july

Caporegime
Same here for the VERY brief periods I run on roads (I have a lot of nice areas around me great for running :) ). Speaking of running I havent ran for ages due to the shin splints I had, tried a 25 minute run one week, hurt the day after, tried the next week and the same happened (I think that was up to two weeks ago now..?).

Gonna make a start back after I get back from T in the park (Im gonna need to work off all that alcohol!) so after 12th july

Damn you, wish I was going!

My sister got tickets, for her xmas, am the forgotten child :/

Back
Top Bottom