Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

hux

hux

Soldato
Have a look at instinct eklipse pack, I have the 12L and love it to bits.
Only done 16k with it, but it's been without fault so I'll probably be fine.

Soldato
I guess that's just left over from the Height of Covid. I suppose it's easier to leave it in (and not enforce it) just in case.

Thanks, I'll have a look at that.
I have a couple of vests already. Did you usual noob thing of going cheap on Amazon. It got me by doing on my local runs, but isn't great. The front pockets for the flasks are way too shallow. Now have the UD 5.0 which is better, but still have 'flappy teets'! The Salomon vests look like they have nice deep pockets, will probably try them in the future.
Yes, I suppose there is going to be some wastage (like above), with finding what works for me.

I find the Decathlon bottles great for “flappy teets”. They seem shorter and don’t stick out as far.

Although my Salomon one has little elastic on the pocket to hold the top of the bottle in place which works quite well too.

hux

hux

Soldato
Well that sucked, got to 20k and it band kicked in hard, had to dnf gutted I ran so hard and fast until then I felt great totally stormed the hills.
I'm fast becoming a decent runner, so just a bit upset about this.
A therapist at the event knew right away what my issue was, and rattled off what I'll be suffering with, and every one was an issue I have.
Turns out it band issues is very common with us runners, so I'm all booked in with a very good therapist in three weeks time.

Here's my strava for those that are curious, I hit PB's right up until it hit me

Soldato
Sorry to hear that. Hopefully you can get it sorted. Guess a long race with a lot of hills by the look of it was always gonna be tough. Shame an injury stopped you seeing how far you could’ve gone.

Was a perfect day for it though. I went on a bike ride and later a trip into town for some drinks and the weather was a great level of sunshine without being too hot.

I got out today but man was it hot and close. Made my run really difficult.

Also need to focus a little more on running. I did 33 miles on the bike on Thursday night and then around 16 yesterday so my legs weren’t great from that.

Associate
Unlucky hux, hope you get it sorted.

My tiddler of a race was bad enough, I'm not sure I could have done an ultra today! 4-5 minutes off my best (1:38ish) time, but that was to be expected, with the heat and my stupidly high pace at the start.

Soldato
How's everyone coping?

I had to run to the vets yesterday at lunchtime, but it was "only" around 28C and not actually too unpleasant. It seemed to heat up a lot later in the day. Today i got up early and went before work. Felt really sluggish for the first few miles, but i think that's normal for me in the morning as i generally set off 5 minutes after waking up. Once i was awake i felt good though.

Just been out for a bike ride to the farm shop though and it was horrific. Glad to not be running in that!

Soldato
Well, I seem to have completely given up after my long ankle injury so restarting running next week. Will see if I can run 5k to begin with and go from there.

Associate
As I'm now not working on Saturday, I had a look around to try and get entered into a trail race of some description.

I will now be doing one of those round and round for six hours things. Of course, my training wasn't anywhere near that level as it was, and I've not done a single run since Sunday!

My heart rate seems to go through the roof for the same pace, if I've had multiple days off, so could really do with forcing myself out for a steady few tonight.

Associate
What measurements does everyone use? I've always used miles but might try going all metric. Think having more 'laps' per run would be useful.

Associate
Being fairly new to running and only focusing on Parkruns, I started out with km. I'm now in a kind of limbo, as I use miles on my watch, but keep the laps to km as my brain can't convert on the fly. This is down to now being an occasional guide for a blind runner who uses miles and another friend is the same (not blind!).

hux

hux

Soldato
Been running a fair bit since the rat, partly as punishment for the Dnf, but also to nail this it band issue that drove me to it
Might have finally cracked it, went out four days in succession and zero issues, in fact I'm nowhere stiff as I was.
To celebrate I've gone and bought a pair of prime x in the new colourway that's coming.
Plan is to really get that mileage up, these will easily enable it.
I'm fed up with getting faster, only to have my friends equally improve, I need to find an edge and these along with fixing my issues should sort it.
Plus I'll train in the winter, where many do bugger it all it seems.

Back
Top Bottom