Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Soldato
You are such a running gear hoarder!

I’d tried the garmin training plans before but wasn’t to my bag as they appeared to randomise the days and I preferred specific training days. Though that was many years ago and maybe it’s different now.

Legs are better today, just going down the stairs stressing them now.

Is it hoarding if i replace one item with another? :D

I think i like the idea of putting a race into a calendar and then Garmin setting your suggested plan to work towards that. Although i'm not sure why that can't be backdated to previous models as surely it's Garmin Connect functionality.

Associate
I have no idea. I remember coming down off great gable many years back (when I was a teenager, so 30+ years ago) and suddenly this naked guy came running up out of the mist! He gave us a cheery wave, said "Hi!" and carried on as though it was normal :D

Met his mates about 10 mins later, and they were carrying his clothes as they had bet him free drinks that night that he wouldn't run naked to the top and stand on the trig point :D

Associate
@Martynt74 maybe magpie or the jealous girlfriend meme is more appropriate for you, always checking out the next new shiney.

I think the training plan is there for all garmin connect users, integration/upload to the watch may differ though. I know when I used their training plan I had a basic forerunner at the time so it was via the website I had to view it all.

I think my 645 I can have it add the training plans direct to my watch but I still need to select which to do when I head out. So far I’ve only used the direct training session creation options for things like fartlek repeats.

Soldato
Haha yeah, definitely! Although to be fair i think @hux has to take that with all his trainers!

The training plans i think are quite limited with Garmin though, i like the idea of sticking in a race and it curating a plan to build up/taper towards that. Although unsure how it would work for anything beyond a simple 10k etc.

The 955 seems to have all the features, but then misses the battery life part, which is a key one. In all honesty i'm unlikely to bother, it's all stuff i like the idea of, but is it enough to spend an extra £400 over and above what i'd sell my 6X for? Probably not!

It's weird it mentions the 945 in the above, but there's no mention of the 6 series.

Associate
pmsl!

Oldest has a forerunner 230. Youngest isn't a running/cycling type of kid. Garmin don't do a dance watch yet, so I think I am safe for a little while yet!

Going to sort tyres on road bike later and then see about getting some miles in soon.

Soldato
What a sucky week.

Don't know if it's the aftermath from last weekend, but i've started coming down with something this week. Nothing too bad, started off with just a sore throat in the mornings, but seems to have now progressed to sore all day/cough and some tiredness/spaced out type feelings. The weekend prior i was away with some friends who tested positive for Covid afterwards, but i seem to still be testing negative.

Can't work out if it's just being run down from the long run and then my commute to work on Tuesday on the bike was in some horrendous weather, so i imagine cold air being breathed in during that isn't ideal which made the throat worse. Otherwise it's an actual cold which is equally annoying. It's not too bad to the point i feel like i could go for a run, but on the other hand i'm getting tired walking upstairs so it's clearly a terrible idea!

Caporegime
Hi runners

Does anyone have any recommendations for exercise shoes for people prone to metatarsalgia / mid foot pain?

I've had (albeit improving) metatarsalgia in one foot for about 6 weeks now after overuse from skipping rope and I'm keen to avoid a recurrence when I get back into it.

I thought the runners' thread might be a good place to get some recommendations for brands with good mid-fore foot padding and protection.

Thank you.

Soldato
Dont really know about matching an injury to a shoe but I have about 20 pairs of running shoes here so have a fair bit of knowledge.

For comfort probably looking at Nike next% or alphafly or Hoka range.

My latest purchase is the Puma Deviate Nitro Elite Racer actually very good for £170 comfortable, fast and dosnt carry the Nike price tag.

Edit: Sorry just seen you meant for skipping here a list of cushioned shoes

Last edited:
Soldato
Did any of you fine folk head to Lovetrails in the Gower over the weekend? Fantastic weekend, ran far too much, and absolutely shattered today!

Highly recommended next year if you didn't make this one!

Soldato
No, looks brilliant, although Swansea is a bit of a trek. My wife also already calls me sad, so god knows what she'd say if i said i was going to a running festival :D

Still feeling a bit rotten with this cold, but managed my first hill rep session in ages at dinner which i'm happy about. Seems to be something about feeling unable to run that's reminded me how good it is to get out. Hoping to get out on local moors on Saturday too which feels like it's been a long time too!

Am currently eyeing this up for next year

My mates parents have a place in Criccieth which is just by the finish line too which would be convinient.

Associate
Knee is much improved. May still lay off running until Sept, as I am on hols in August and it seems sensible to give it as much time as possible to recover. Bike is sorted, but just need to get out on it and it is so hot today that it will be 9pm before I venture out I reckon!

Soldato
Good to hear. See id be tempted to keep testing the knee with short runs. Though cycling often should help.

I got out yesterday for a 13 mile run and had a great time, then headed for a little ride into Preston for some beers with the wife.
Getting her an electric bike is one of the best things I’ve done as she loves it and means we can get out together.

Today I’d aimed for an 8 mile run as a “back to back” but we ended up drinking way too much yesterday. Think I combined beer with a martini, gin and tonic and some tequila. Then finished with red wine. So much for not mixing drinks!

Today though I went for a 16 mile bike ride with the wife. Nice and easy pace wise and my wife was happy on her bike.

Back
Top Bottom