Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Soldato
So tried out the hoka carbon x3, fit was ok but the heel area felt like sand paper so sent them back.
Ordered a pair of puma Deviate Nitro Elite which turned up today.
They're 239grams in size 12 which is just nuts. Fit is good with just about enough room width wise. Bit of effort to get in them but fine once they're on.

I went out yesterday in my hoka arahi for a quick run over 4 miles and struggled as they just seem a bit dead, not much bounce back or rocker. Really felt my calfs ache by the end.
Did 8 miles in the puma today at a quicker pace than yesterday's run with less effort.
There's mixed views on wearing plated shoes for all work outs but I suspect I could use these for all of them if I wanted to. I'll give it to the end of the month and if they're still the pair to go to I might get the non plated version and sell the hoka.

Started frequent calf raises and squats so shall see if that helps with stability

Soldato
@JustBen i'd recommend some kind of tib raise exercises too. Seem to be beneficial for foot health (no equipment needed). You'll be amazed how much it aches to start with!

Still no running here, the steroid injection has done the opposite of what i'd hoped and seems to be creating more pain by the day :( I've joined a few facebook groups for the condition which makes for grim reading, but hoping mines not at the level of some people on there!

Soldato
Bought some new trainers. Figured i wanted as much cushion as i could get whilst still keeping the wide toe box, so have some Altra Via Olympus on their way. Had ordered from Runners Need but they only went up to a size 11 and just a little too small.

If anyone wants any reduced trainers give me a should. I have 2 50% discount codes at Runners Need i won't be able to use now. I will caveat it with some other sites are often cheaper so the discount is negated. But for those of you wanted the latest model carbon shoes there could be a decent saving to be had :)

And someone take it quite before i end up buying some Altra Carbon Vanish :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Also ignore the above. I wasn't running, but i've been doing loads of specific treatment work for a Mortons Neuroma now there's a (hopefully correct) diagnosis. Generally around wearing toe separators/toe socks to spread the toes away from the inflamed nerve and loads of stetching the foot/calf.

As such it was feeling good and i managed a mile last night. There was pain, but manageable and i think i might have to accept that's just how it is.

Soldato
i've somehow hurt my ankle which is frustrating. just below the ankle bone so me off running for a bit. Back to the bike for a little bit which is depressing. Need it to be right for a 10k later this month which will be my first trail run @cartmel. With the way doctors are at the moment theres little point going to them. Get private medical care from October so least from then i can actually get things looked at.

Soldato
i've somehow hurt my ankle which is frustrating. just below the ankle bone so me off running for a bit. Back to the bike for a little bit which is depressing. Need it to be right for a 10k later this month which will be my first trail run @cartmel. With the way doctors are at the moment theres little point going to them. Get private medical care from October so least from then i can actually get things looked at.

Private medical is awesome. I used to go for the occasional niggle, and if you get a decent physio, they'll sometimes throw in sports massage as "physio" too :D

Soldato
I'm still here .... :p

2 months out. Seen a private sports physiotherapist. He thinks I've got hip bursitis which is stretching the IT band more than it should (slides over this bursa). I've had some IR and Ultrasound therapy today. I've not ran or cycled for a month.

He answered a few questions for recovery and I'm going to restart now slowly. On the way home went to the gym did a 1.5k run on the treadmill and cycled approx 20km. No issues. Pre-break I was managing 1.8km before pain. He's told me to run every other day at half that and build up 10%. Fingers crossed

Soldato
Got a half marathon this weekend, and various holidays etc mean I'm hugely undertrained for it. Went out for a 16k last night and felt fantastic, quickest I've run for a long time (about 4.40 per km) - I think it's because the temperature is as low as it's been for ages.

My initial plan was to just get through the half and accept whatever time, but now wondering about going out at just under 5 per km, see how I feel after 10k, and hopefully speed up a bit.

Last edited:
Associate
Hopefully you can find a route back then. I'm still doing nothing which is driving me insane and getting very, very annoying. Even cycling has stopped as the rain has been miserable.
I went swimming last night as it was probably drier than going for a walk :D

Swimming pool prices are steep though. Was about £7 each, which may limit how often I do it.

Soldato
I went swimming last night as it was probably drier than going for a walk :D

Swimming pool prices are steep though. Was about £7 each, which may limit how often I do it.

Haha yeah, today has been the same. I don't think i ever want a house with skylights again!

I like the idea of swimming when i get to Spain, but not sure how bored i'll get in a ~8m pool

Associate
You could do laps around the outside, so that would probably be about 25M per full lap. 64 Laps per Mile. Apparently the average time for 25M for someone your age is around 40 seconds, so that would be about 45 Mins per mile.

Soldato
I've been stuck with cycling for the last couple of weeks, quite enjoying road riding as it doesn't bother my ankle at all. My ankles been an issue for a few weeks now, not sure its sorted or not so just staying off it from a running point of view.
I have a 10k trail run at Cartmel this weekend so hoping it is ok for that. If not then Drs it will be to see whats going on. It's slightly bruised but i;ve not whacked it against anything or out like that so not sure where it's coming from.

Associate
Anyone here have a Suunto 9 be it a Peak/Baro.

Have used a Suunto Ambit 3 Peak before and did like it but watches have been updated a lot since then. Currently using a Garmin Forerunner 625 and fancy an update.

The Baro is on sale for £180 and the Peak for £255 I think. Real world thoughts appreciated.

Soldato
No, i'm a Garmin man. DC Rainmaker would likely be my first place for feedback though.

Walked around 8 miles home from work last night in my new Altras whilst wearing my toe separators, no real discomfort and that's given me a bit of hope for being able to start running again. Dreading to think how fitness will be. According to Strava it's the lowest it's been for 2 years :(

r8OolE4.png

Soldato
Today I saw a lass with alpha flys on...
And you maybe thinking well this lass was in the arndale shopping. Centre with normal non running clothes on.
Can't imagine paying that much for some shopping shoes. Unless she's in a hurry I guess

Soldato
So not a traditional run, but finally completed Para 10 TAB. First time I've done event like this apart from Tough Mudder years ago that I just walked between obstacles.

2h10m which actually makes me a little mad at myself because I didn't really prepare for it apart from very sporadic 3k and 5k runs here and there over last 6 weeks. Lot of lessons learnt so want to do it again next year to get under that 1h50 mark.

With that in mind I'm signing up to Helvellyn 10k on 14th October this evening. Only expectation will be to finish and hopefully not too near last place!

Back
Top Bottom