Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Soldato
Well, that is my Belfast Marathon Training completed. The plan says I should do 4 miles on Saturday, the day before, but it can forget it!

439 miles
81 hours
40 miles peak mileage
18 weeks
25.5 miles weekly average
20.1 miles longest run
4 runs a week
2 miles shortest run
2 pairs of shoes were used
2 boxes of Cliff Blocks consumed
Endless rain/wind/snow/cold
1 nervous Blackvault.

I'll report back on Monday, as my partner and I are going for a meal after the race. Thanks for all your support.

Soldato
Has anyone developed a weird issue where sweat really seems to irritate their face? I have a patch at the top of my cheekbone which ends up red raw after a run, presumably due to sweat.

It tends to happen in summer, and I was on holiday in Italy last week so may have caught the sun there slightly, so it could be a reaction to sweat and sunburn. Anyone had similar?

I appreciate that this borders on a medical post - I'm really just wondering whether anyone has suffered similar, rather than asking for advice, so I hope it's OK!

Dup

Dup

Soldato
I really should get in this thread more, I'm useless.

It's been a tough winter, I hope the weather is on your side but just enjoy it and aim to finish, it'll be fine!

I've been off entering races the last couple of races apart from bigger ones but this year I have decided to do the Burnley & Pendle Grand Prix races for something to aim for before Lakeland. You get ranked on your 9 best races (out of 12) for the year. I'm never fast, but they're mostly 5-7 mile trail runs around the local area. I can't do the first on last one due to family, but one route (Pinhaw Beacon) I must run about 3 times a week at the moment as it's essentially going past my house. I'll never be chasing the aliens up front but I hope to not be average like I usually am.

I'm using them as an opportunity to run out of my comfort zone and push hard becasue I think that's the reason I'm so slow as I;ve just got too used to a steady pace, I never feel like I've worked hard.

Soldato
Well, I did it. I officially completed my first marathon. I have mixed thoughts about the day which didn't start well. Translink, Northern Ireland's public transport company, managed to mess up. The train ahead of ours broke down around 7:50 in the morning and we sat for a long time before they decided to reverse up into the station at 8:20 and dump out. The station we disembarked at was a good 30 minutes with no traffic to the start line and they hadn't put any busses on. Thankfully one of my running buddies called her boss and he dispatched two cars to pick a few of us up. We managed to get around half a mile to the Stormont estate before hitting road closures and had to run the half mile as hard as we could. I arrived needing a pee with 2 minutes to the start at 9 am. The queues for the portaloos were still 10 deep so I elected the start the race and go when I came to the first portaloos at miles 4-5.Not an ideal start to the day.

With all the stress getting to the race start, I went out way too quickly. I know this was my first marathon so any time will be a PB but I had set myself a goal of finishing in 5 hours and built a ProRace profile of 4:55 to allow for having a loo break or other leeway. Spoiler by the halfway point I had a 6:30-minute lead ahead of my 4:55 target.

The first few miles I was too busy distracted waiting for the portaloo and I didn't enjoy it because of that. Belfast Marathon offers a relay race and in fact, some 11,000 people take part in this. Due to the change points were exceptionally busy and I felt a bit stressed having to dodge people as looked out for their relay partners.

Once I got through Ormeau Park at miles 7-8, I felt more relaxed and getting into the race. After mile 8 I saw my partner and a few of my running friends to help cheer me on. It was then into Belfast city centre and past City Hall where I met my mum and sister. Their encouragement helped as I was not due to see anyone until 17 miles. Belfast is a small city but their marathon course does tell to spread out across the city with little to no transport.

As I got to the halfway point, I spotted my old Primary 5 school teacher. I haven't seen him in years and he probably wondered who this eejit shouted his name lol Miles 13 - 16 were pretty uneventful however the course was undulating but the people of the Falls Road provided the support. As I got to mile 17 I met my partner and running mates again, cheering me on. I needed that encouragement as in the next few miles I had to face the hill.

As I started to cross the Shankill and Crumlin roads I started to get sick of my gels, Mountain Berry Cliff Blocs, and slowed down eating them. It didn't help my jaw was starting to chew hard. This wasn't something new, as I have experienced this during training and other shorter races. Mile 18-19 was the hill. I had run up it during the 18 training run but I had only covered 7 miles before hitting it, although I wasn't mentally prepared for it. This is where I finally threw the towel in and walked up half of it. I had set myself a goal of not walking during the race but I had to conseed. Thankfully at the top of the hill, there was a short downhill section before reaching the Waterworks, the highest point in the course and mile 20. I was in unknown territory.

Since I had given into walking I found myself walking around the Waterworks and down to mile 21. Over the next few miles, I walked/ran. At this point, I was having an internal battle with myself. Why am I doing this? At this point anytime I thought of my mum, sister and partner I started to tear up. Also having last my dad to cancer some 10 plus years ago, and thinking of him going through cancer twice I felt if he could go through surgery and chemotherapy, I could complete the 26.2 miles.

At mile 22.5 I met my support crew again. I wasn't in a good place and hoarsely called out to them that I was struggling but they gave me encouragement to run until I was out of sight. Miles 23 to 24 were hard as you run along the River Lagan on the opposite side of the finishing line. Nearly all the cheers and noise coming from it didn't help. I hadn't any chews, for a good few miles but decided to try them again. I didn't want it and again stopped eating them.

At mile 24, I came into the Ormeau Road and met my running mates, who all decided to run with me, in jeans and coats. Playing music from a portable speaker and shouting at me to keep going at whatever pace I wanted. This mile was all uphill but once I or should I say we, up it, it was only another 1.2 downhill. The last mile I took a really bad cramp in my right hamstring and had to stop, reach and walk it out. The 26-mile marker my mates, who were roasted now, as it was a humid 14C peeled off and let me run the last bit myself.

At the finish, I forgot to smile lol I came down the finishing chute, and I did ask my facial muscles to smile but they weren't cooperating. I was that exhausted. I had completed it and collected my medal and the first people I went was a long-term friend and partner. He suffered two badly broken legs six months ago, and seeing him there congratulating me meant a lot. It took a while to meet everyone that had been supporting me. I was so close to crying and letting all the emotion out. As I type this I feel a bit emotional still. I had finished. Strava gave me a time of 4:55, while the chip time was 5:00:12. I had just missed my goal. I'm writing this two days after am I'm a bit down about the time, particularly when I had lost so much time.

The plan afterwards was to go for a few pints and food however I was in no fit state. My legs were done in, however, my biggest problem was the headache and sick feeling. I had taken the 1-litre bladder filled with water and electrolyte tablets in my vest and upon checking it at home I had only drunk less than half. I was dehydrated and suffering from an electrolyte imbalance. The last thing I wanted was a pint of Guinness and a burger. I said my goodbyes and apologised that I wasn't heading out with the running support crew but they understood.

I headed home, managing to eat a banana on the train. Once having a shower, I was able to stomach some scrambled eggs and toast and had a well-earned rest before I headed out for a meal. By then, I was able to eat food again but elected not to have any alcohol, which was a shame but I thought I didn't need anything more to further dehydrate me. Garmin predicted I lost 4.4l of sweat and only consumed 500ml.

I didn't get a good night's sleep and even last night I still didn't. Mainly because my quads are on fire. Although a 2-mile walk and some gardening today have helped get the blood flowing I feel I'll probably run this weekend.

The takeaways from the event:
I completely the marathon distance. It was the hardest thing I've done in my life.
I stuck to my training day in and day out. Week in week out. Through the cold, wind and rain.
Didn't get injured.
The strength work paid off, however I'll need to do more pilates as my core was sore after the race.
More strength work is needed and never a bad thing.
Be stronger mentally and not give in to the walking.
Do not go out as fast at the start and listen to my pacing strategy.
Drink more. And try and eat my gels regardless of how I feel.
Raise money for charity if I do the distance again. I was in two minds to raise money. I knew I could have raised a good amount for a cancer charity or the hospice that looked after my dad. However, I felt raising money for my first marathon would put extra pressure on me.
I have the love and support of my friends and family.

This has been a bit of a dump of information, mainly for my benefit but I did say I would post a race report!

Dup

Dup

Soldato
@Blackvault The hard part was done before you got to the start, all you had to do was finish and that's what you did. Great effort!

I totally understand the disappointment. My best Marathon time was my first in 2019 (Manchester) and every year I've been slower than that time until this year. I went through all the same emotions, rush to the start due to traffic, walked some bits, had cramp, toilet break, thoughts of my family, kids & my late father etc.

It's all part of the experience; it's a huge undertaking and frankly if it wasn't for the loo break (not your fault) you got the time you wanted. Don't be so hard on yourself, it's natural to struggle after such an event. Even having done a few I struggle to eat, drink and celebrate it afterwards.

It sounds like you needed more water, might have helped with the fuelling in the latter stage. You've already figured out the other aspects, so when you're feeling "you" again get the next one signed up for. Took me too many years of winging it without assessment until my effort this year and I took a good chunk off my PB, but you've got a good baseline now to work from. Now you know the distance is possible you've got data to work with and go back stronger.

Last edited:

daz

daz

Soldato
Well done on getting it done. I am intending to sign up and complete my first marathon in the next year, fingers crossed!

Soldato
@Blackvault awesome work and a great write up. As @Dup says, the fact you've got so many takeaways and they're mostly all positive is a massive thing and you know things to work on for the few negatives.

You nailed the training even when you felt crap and that's a massive payoff.

My best advice at this stage is not to lose motivation/enthusiasm. Following a big event i seem to hit a lull of 1-2 months and lose loads of great fitness and then it takes a little while to recover. Obviously your body will need time, but try and get out this week for 2-3 short easy runs just to keep things moving and then try and keep a few 10-15 mile runs in. It'll help massively towards the next one rather than dropping down and just covering 5/10k distance all the time again.

Last edited:
Soldato
@Blackvault The hard part was done before you got to the start, all you had to do was finish and that's what you did. Great effort!

I totally understand the disappointment. My best Marathon time was my first in 2019 (Manchester) and every year I've been slower than that time until this year. I went through all the same emotions, rush to the start due to traffic, walked some bits, had cramp, toilet break, thoughts of my family, kids & my late father etc.

It's all part of the experience; it's a huge undertaking and frankly if it wasn't for the loo break (not your fault) you got the time you wanted. Don't be so hard on yourself, it's natural to struggle after such an event. Even having done a few I struggle to eat, drink and celebrate it afterwards.

It sounds like you needed more water, might have helped with the fuelling in the latter stage. You've already figured out the other aspects, so when you're feeling "you" again get the next one signed up for. Took me too many years of winging it without assessment until my effort this year and I took a good chunk off my PB, but you've got a good baseline now to work from. Now you know the distance is possible you've got data to work with and go back stronger.
Well done on getting it done. I am intending to sign up and complete my first marathon in the next year, fingers crossed!
@Blackvault awesome work and a great write up. As @Dup says, the fact you've got so many takeaways and they're mostly all positive is a massive thing and you know things to work on for the few negatives.

You nailed the training even when you felt crap and that's a massive payoff.

My best advice at this stage is not to lose motivation/enthusiasm. Following a big event i seem to hit a lull of 1-2 months and lose loads of great fitness and then it takes a little while to recover. Obviously your body will need time, but try and get out this week for 2-3 short easy runs just to keep things moving and then try and keep a few 10-15 mile runs in. It'll help massively towards the next one rather than dropping down and just covering 5/10k distance all the time again.

Thanks very much for the support and comments. I'm heading over to England to visit the inlaws and most likely will go for a run over the weekend. As for the next goal, I'd like to get close to my half marathon time (2:11:xx) set in London. There is the Belfast Half Marathon in late Septemeber, and while is a hiller course than London aiming for 2:11 or faster would be great.

Soldato
Thanks very much for the support and comments. I'm heading over to England to visit the inlaws and most likely will go for a run over the weekend. As for the next goal, I'd like to get close to my half marathon time (2:11:xx) set in London. There is the Belfast Half Marathon in late Septemeber, and while is a hiller course than London aiming for 2:11 or faster would be great.

Good target, i'd have thought it should be do-able. Whilst not directly comparable, my half time was ~2:08 which i did before my marathon of 4:55ish, so similar to you. Given your level of training for the marathon (i never actually did over 10 miles prior to the marathon and was probably too fast and then blew up), i'd have thought you could get to sub 2:00 by September if you follow some dedicated training with speed work.

Soldato
Good target, I'd have thought it should be doable. Whilst not directly comparable, my half-time was ~2:08 which I did before my marathon of 4:55ish, so similar to you. Given your level of training for the marathon (I never actually did over 10 miles before the marathon and was probably too fast and then blew up), I'd have thought you could get to sub 2:00 by September if you follow some dedicated training with speed work.
Wow, sub 2 hours! That does sound ambitious but we'll see. I had planned to introduce some speed work into my training. It's not something done much of, at least not during previous half-marathon plans. But I'd thought of a 5x 400m 5k pace and upping it every other week.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Just ordered this: https://amjwatches.co.uk/product/garmin-fenix-7-pro-sapphire-solar-edition-47mm-4458

Couldn't say no at that price even if it's not the colour I'd choose. It's quite an upgrade from my Instinct Solar and should last me for the whole of Lakeland (becasue I WILL finish this year!). Plus, when I go hiking with the family there's fewer chances of getting lost (but not zero :D).

I've done two of the first three races from the Burnley & Pendle Grand Prix now. They're short ~5 mile Fell/Trail races mostly so it's been nice to go out and push all the way round. It does highlight how slow I am, but I am seeing some improvement. It's occurred to me I have just got comfortable at a long endurance pace and never really pushed myself in training or a shorter race. The one that's by my house didn't go too well on Friday, it was quite hot and it took me 44 mins to do 5 miles, basically my 10k PB. Wednesday was 5.5 miles and slightly cooler, slightly less elevation and I was a full minute per mile quicker. Really enjoyed it. Next one is 3 miles with 700ft climb just down the road from me. Hopefully I can do better than 90th and 50th place (out of ~240).

Back
Top Bottom