PlayStation 4 Pro in-bound

Soldato
Was set to upgrade to a Pro but keep reading about the lack of CPU upgrade means only certain games will benefit from being on Pro, now I'm not sure

It has a significant CPU bump and some more RAM to play with, as well as the GPU increase.

The 'benefit' entirely depends on what the developers do with their games.

Unless they make a patch for existing games, there will be no difference at all on them.

Games that are built from the ground up for PS4 Pro and PS4 will have much better Pro versions that ones that are just patched in later.

So...wait and see, that's what I'm doing.

Soldato
I'm not interested in playing at 4K in fact the TV I'm using my PS4 and potentially Pro on is only 1080P. I'm far more interested in what the Pro will bring to PSVR (another planned purchase) and current games, would be great if future games ran at 1080p 60fps but I've read quit a few comments indicating the CPU in the Pro won't be enough for CPU intensive games to achieve better than PS4.

I guess we'll know soon but it's hard to resist preordering both The Pro and PSVR in case they go out of stock until after Christmas!

Soldato
I find it amazing people are getting excited over having a console in 2016 which will play 60fps @ 1080p, seems really old hat now. Why have consoles slipped so far behind, I remember the days of buying a console and it out powering my top of the range PC. Now their about 5 years+ behind.

Soldato
It's not really a case of PC's being 'ahead'.

The PC was crippled as a gaming platform for a loooong time because of it's clonky old architecture. Consoles had a huge advantage, and that doesn't exist anymore.

'Bang for buck' consoles and PCs are broadly the same these days, that's all.

Soldato
I find it amazing people are getting excited over having a console in 2016 which will play 60fps @ 1080p, seems really old hat now. Why have consoles slipped so far behind, I remember the days of buying a console and it out powering my top of the range PC. Now their about 5 years+ behind.

They also have gotten much cheaper while everything else is more expensive. Also, some of the PC hardware has just gotten silly. Compare a Voodoo / Riva or whatever was at the top 15 years ago and look at any midrange-high end GPU. Consumer GPUs have increased in size about 5 times since then - gaming PCs are getting bigger, not smaller and also more expensive.

PS2 released at £299 around 2000 I think. The minimum wage at the time was £3.70 an hour. Now 15 years later it is double that while the console are still the same price or less so basically the consoles are half the cost of what they used to be while PCs cost more.

I am sure If PS4 Pro costed £699 or more it would come out with a GTX1070 equivalent or better but unfortunately you cannot stick £499 GPU in a £299 console.

Soldato
I agree on the cost of a 60fps 4k gaming pc, which is why consoles have no excuse really, I'd quite happily fork out £600/700 for a console that could provide me with 60fps @ 4k taking into account what a PC would cost to do the same, the hardware is out now to do it. Why are we only just getting a 1080p 60fps console which PC's where doing 5 years ago.

Last edited:
Soldato
I got a nice deal on a standard PS4 1216b 1TB (need my optical out and the Slim might have some hidden problems) with the entire Uncharted series included so I grabbed it. I use a 1440p monitor without HDR so I wouldn't benefit too much from the Pro. I'll give it some time and wait till devs start using the new hardware properly. If we get significantly better effects or textures and some games running at 60fps, I'll be all over it. Especially when I grab a 4k HDR TV.

For now, I'm just enjoying playing Yakuza 0 in Japanese and Uncharted 4.

I have to say, I'm quite surprised how good it all looks even at 1080p running on a 1440p screen.

Uncharted 4 is overall the best looking game I've ever seen on any platform. Of course, you can see where corners have been cut but Naughty Dog are absolute wizards. The attention to detail, artstyle and animations are incredible. I can't even imagine it at upscaled 4k with HDR...

Soldato
I agree on the cost of a 60fps 4k gaming pc, which is why consoles have no excuse really, I'd quite happily folk out £600/700 for a console that could provide me with 60fps @ 4k taking into account what a PC would cost to do the same, the hardware is out now to do it. Why are we only just getting a 1080p 60fps console which PC's where doing 5 years ago.

And even 1080p is still hot or miss

Soldato
BF1 has hideous framerate drops that make it almost unplayable for me, especially when I'm currently switching between Overwatch, Titanfall 2 and BF1.

Hopefully the Pro will make it better!

EDIT - Pro Patch for November 10th

These games will have a Pro patch on day one (November 10th)

Bound
Battlefield 1
Call Of Duty: Black Ops 3
Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
DRIVECLUB VR
EA SPORTS FIFA 17
Firewatch
HELLDIVERS
HITMAN
Hustle Kings
inFAMOUS First Light
inFAMOUS Second Son
Knack
Mafia III
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor
NBA 2K17
Paragon
PSVR Worlds
Ratchet & Clank
Rez Infinite
RIGS Mechanized Combat League
Rise Of The Tomb Raider
Robinson: The Journey
SMITE
Super Stardust Ultra
The Elders Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition
The Last Of Us Remastered
The Last Of Us: Left Behind
THE PLAYROOM VR
Titanfall 2
Tumble
Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End
Until Dawn: Rush of Blood
Viking Squad
World Of Tanks
XCOM 2

Last edited:
Soldato
I agree on the cost of a 60fps 4k gaming pc, which is why consoles have no excuse really, I'd quite happily folk out £600/700 for a console that could provide me with 60fps @ 4k taking into account what a PC would cost to do the same, the hardware is out now to do it. Why are we only just getting a 1080p 60fps console which PC's where doing 5 years ago.

Again, prices.
Just had a quick look as my memory was vague and top end GPUs used to cost around £150 back then - now they're £600. Also as mentioned, consoles are now basically half price of what they used to be.

The problem is, it's not a luxury gaming product anymore because of this, it's now an affordable gaming platform. Considering that people game on tablets and phones nowadays, it doesn't seem that majority care about graphics.
The enthusiasts are however more picky than ever. Even just few years ago we didn't have 'ultra' and other stupidly pointless graphic options that just push the hardware to limits for no real benefit to the experience. Consoles were considered fine because playing on "medium" was accepted as good graphics for the last 20 years and then suddenly we got £800 GPUs and anything below "EPIC" or "ULTRA" is "low graphics". I don't think the consoles are less powerful, it's just PCs got too powerful for gaming and tastes have changed. Games are badly optimised nowadays too.

Let's be realistic, for what it costs, it does a pretty good job.

Don't get me wrong, I had almost all of the consoles as well as PCs both high and low end and I think there is a place for both. I for one like that they come so cheap and provide affordable and enjoyable platform to PC gaming. In todays market, I don't think £799 console would sell.

Soldato
I have no doubt the PS4 pro will nail the 1080p 60fps market, but this should be something the PS4 did in 2013.

I will be getting the Pro cause I like the "latest stuff", just find it hard to get excited over though.

Heres hoping mate, who knows. Would need to be locked resolution too not this fluctuating dynamic thing we see these days. By now 60fps at 1080 should be more than achievable

Soldato
I agree on the cost of a 60fps 4k gaming pc, which is why consoles have no excuse really, I'd quite happily fork out £600/700 for a console that could provide me with 60fps @ 4k taking into account what a PC would cost to do the same, the hardware is out now to do it. Why are we only just getting a 1080p 60fps console which PC's where doing 5 years ago.

Because gaming PCs have always been better. Nothings changed. The PS4 has some amazing exclusives coming, which is the important thing, games, and the Pro will simply make them look and run better but is not an essential bit of kit. The new God of War will look awesome on a PS4 nevermind a Pro.

£349.99 or £249.99 are bargains in my book considering the quality of games you can play.

Also, PSVR is the best VR system available and cheapest. Not technically(even though it does look amazing) but the game catalog will be nearly 60 games before Christmas! PS Pro improves VR too(which is why I might buy one).

Nobody should be complaining about current gen consoles, cheap and have some awesome games.

Soldato
Because gaming PCs have always been better. Nothings changed. The PS4 has some amazing exclusives coming, which is the important thing, games, and the Pro will simply make them look and run better but is not an essential bit of kit. The new God of War will look awesome on a PS4 nevermind a Pro.

£349.99 or £249.99 are bargains in my book considering the quality of games you can play.

Also, PSVR is the best VR system available and cheapest. Not technically(even though it does look amazing) but the game catalog will be nearly 60 games before Christmas! PS Pro improves VR too(which is why I might buy one).

Nobody should be complaining about current gen consoles, cheap and have some awesome games.

Yep, that's what I've been trying to say. For the price they cost it's really amazing what you get on the screen, considering that you can get a 2nd hand PS4 for around £140 now. I'm myself considering the PS4 Pro as I had sold my gaming PC due to it not getting enough use but the casual console game sounds like a good idea, especially with how the PSN sub rental works.

Soldato

I agree completely. For what they cost, consoles do a great job and have a selection of amazing looking and playing games. Some of my favourite series are PS exclusives and I'm happy to be able to jump into them again. It's not always about graphics.

Back
Top Bottom