PlayStation Classic

Man of Honour
I'm in 2 minds about this one. The NES/SNES classics hold up because of the 'retro' 8-bit sprite 2D graphics which everyone is doing modern takes of these days. No one is trying to replicate low res polygon graphics, I just don't think they hold up as well.

True. The games on the SNES Classic that hold up worst are Starfox and Starfox 2. They were revolutionary back then. But now... Hmmm... I think that's the problem with a lot of the early 3d games. 15fps low res will never look that good. The old 8 bit 2d games games mostly ran at 50/60fps which still plays well today.

I hope it renders games in 1080p rather than upscaling a 240p signal.
A few years ago someone on here played FF8 (PS1 game emulated on PC) and it looked amazing.
The NES and SNES classics were OK as they were almost entirely 2d games, but 240p 3D looks horrific.

Also.....once you've gone 60hz you can't go back. The PS store has 50HZ games in PAL. I do hope that the PAL version runs at 'full speed'.

Soldato
I hope it renders games in 1080p rather than upscaling a 240p signal.
A few years ago someone on here played FF8 (PS1 game emulated on PC) and it looked amazing.

Given the hardware in the box is likely to basically be a Raspberry Pi I doubt it'll have the processing power to upscale anything unfortunately. As you say I raelly hope Sony can do something beyond simple upscaling though otherwise your average 55" 4K TV isn't going to do any favours for the PS1's visuals!

A very good point regarding emulators actually. A lot of the emulators on PC can do some really impressive things with first gen 3D games (AF ,Anti-Aliasing, effectively re-rendering the image to 1080p+, etc) to improve the look of them. However that depends on having a reasonable amount of CPU/GPU power. Having tried some Wii and Gamecube games on PC they come close to current gen when you run them on an emulator vs the dated original 540p visuals. There's not really much you can do with a 2D sprite image but when you have a 3D engine with textures/etc there are a lot of options on offer. That's another issue which makes me wonder if there's a point to this thing?

I've pre-ordered one anyway so will make a decision when I see some reviews and get the final games list! I notice it's sold out in quite a few places so if you think you might want one definitely put in a pre-order as you can always cancel later.

Associate
I placed a pre-order the other night. If Gran Turismo makes the final game selection - would be happy!

If it has Wipe-Out, Destruction Derby & Resident Evil (the latter I doubt) it would be awesome. Plan to run it through my CRT monitor so it should not look too bad (he says)! :p

None of the above games, I will likely pass.

Soldato
Interesting point made about this on the Giant Beastcast. Its all good us wanting Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil etc on but if Sony want this to reach as many people as possible then certain games wont be on there for age rating reasons. Anything above 12 rating will be out the window so there goes Metal Gear Solid and Resident Evil.

Soldato
I placed a pre-order the other night. If Gran Turismo makes the final game selection - would be happy!

If it has Wipe-Out, Destruction Derby & Resident Evil (the latter I doubt) it would be awesome. Plan to run it through my CRT monitor so it should not look too bad (he says)! :p

Great, if you can find an CRT monitor with HDMI :D

Soldato
Tempted by this but not impressed by the announced games, would like to see the full lineup but the first Ridge Racer 1, Tekken 2, Wipeout 1 and 2097, Destruction Derby, Gran Turismo 1, would all peak my interest for sure.

Soldato

any games with licensed music are doubtful as the licenses would have lapsed long ago and won't be cheap to acquire again.

Associate
With game lists different between the main regions, I think I'm going to wait and see what differences there are between the US and UK versions before making any real purchasing decision.

Soldato
But does it have Jersey Devil?

Nope, Medieval will be higher on the list :p

On a serious note, FF7 isnt enough anymore. EVERYBODY has played it on multiple platforms it's on. Give me some heavy RPG's such as Legend of Dragoon, Vagrant Story, Alundra, Grandia, Chrono Cross, Xenogears.

Associate
Nope, Medieval will be higher on the list :p

On a serious note, FF7 isnt enough anymore. EVERYBODY has played it on multiple platforms it's on. Give me some heavy RPG's such as Legend of Dragoon, Vagrant Story, Alundra, Grandia, Chrono Cross, Xenogears.

Suikoden 1 and 2, breath of fire 3

Soldato
Interesting point made about this on the Giant Beastcast. Its all good us wanting Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil etc on but if Sony want this to reach as many people as possible then certain games wont be on there for age rating reasons. Anything above 12 rating will be out the window so there goes Metal Gear Solid and Resident Evil.

I don't really see age ratings as an issue because it isn't exactly targeting kids of today it's going after the millions who grew up playing PlayStation's. I think the listings for it already have provisional 18 ratings.

Caporegime

You think twelve year olds will want this?

It won’t run Fortnite so they won’t be interested.

Soldato
You think twelve year olds will want this?

It won’t run Fortnite so they won’t be interested.

You say that but look how successful the Nes and Snes mini was with kids who all they did was play Cod and Fifa all day.

If there wasn't a market for them to target younger kids then the Crash Bandicoot collection wouldn't of been successful and the up coming Spyro collection wouldn't be happening.

Last edited:
Associate
a market for them to target younger kids
I think the issue on this being as successful as the SNES Classic is that Playstation games tend to age much more poorly. I own 3 of the 5 announced games and have played them all, but nostalgia aside I don't think there's that much appeal there compared to some of the more immediacy of the SNES Classic titles. FFVII is a fantastic title, but by this point in time I'd wager that the majority of people who want to experience it have played it already, and looking at it objectively it's aged somewhat poorly. However, not as poorly as Wild Arms, which seems basic by comparison (aside from it's fantastic opening FMV/theme - that tune is amazing!). Wild Arms is long, ugly, somewhat simplistic and can be quite irritatingly loaded with random battles....these days I'd definitely recommend starting the series on the PS2 games). On the other hand I bet Tekken 3 is the MVP of these five announced titles. It was great back in the day, and despite being old it has a nice variety of characters, doesn't look terrible or play awkwardly (especially compared to something like Battle Arena Toshinden). Ridge Racer Type 4 also looks like it could be a blast (this from someone who hates racing games), although I'd worry about the quality of the pad for enjoying it. However you approach it though, Jumping Flash looks like it'd be a bad time these days.

Obviously it depends what the other 15 titles will be and how regions will differ, but I can't see it being as fun as the SNES Classic, although I have no doubt it'll sell.

Back
Top Bottom