Playstation Plus

Soldato
To be honest, I've known quite a few people say that PSN+ has become the better value service. You get online gaming for free, as it should be. And you get a crap tonne of free games monthly aslong as you stay subscribed. I cant imagine Sony wish they could have gone the way of XBox live and charge for online play atall. PSN+ would have been great and no doubt it would have been more detrimental to who owns the biggest market share if it was out from day one on PS3. But keep in mind Sonys online offerings were behind Microsofts in the beginning, due to the original xbox having live. I would essentially say PSN+ is now whats closed the generational gap. ANd it'll be offered from day 1 on the next console. Maybe we'll get party chat too :p

Absolutely PS+ is a better value service... but it's a different service to Xbox Live and what I mean by saying Sony would love PS+ to be what Live is that Live essentially amounts to charging for access to multiplayer. Providing server infrastructure (which they're already doing) in exchange for a monthly fee must be considerably more profitable than offering a game subscription service where Sony have got pay out to be able to offer content as part of the subscription. It would be fascinating to know how much EA have charged for them to include Dead Space 2 for instance.

I can't help but feel the PS3 was held back by the system software being primarily developed in Japan... particularly when it came to the network side. It's not like Sony Europe weren't doing anything online related during the PS2 era to not be aware of what people wanted from an online service

Re the Dead Space 2 saves... if you have a save from the retail version and your PSN version copy them to a USB stick at look at the folder structure on a computer. They probably have different folder names, you could try copying the content from within the retail saves folder into the PSN saves folder and it'll probably work... it may disable trophies though.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Re the Dead Space 2 saves... if you have a save from the retail version and your PSN version copy them to a USB stick at look at the folder structure on a computer. They probably have different folder names, you could try copying the content from within the retail saves folder into the PSN saves folder and it'll probably work... it may disable trophies though.

i'll give that a try, nice suggestion, cheers.

Soldato
i'll give that a try, nice suggestion, cheers.

It should work.

yeah might be, iirc when i owned DS2 it was the limited edition, so probably incompatible somehow

It's because the game IDs for the disc version and download version are different. I had the same problem with Infamous - rented it, didn't complete it, then got the digital version free after the PSN downtime. I had to copy the save files to a USB stick and change some file names on my PC. Instructions for Infamous here, I'm guessing will work similarly for DS2:

http://community.eu.playstation.com...-version/m-p/13162030/highlight/false#M166401

Soldato
looks like save files from the retail copy of DS2 dont work with this version. bit of a shame that

Yeah, similar story with little big planet 2. That retail save doesn't work with the digital version either.

There past few months have been amazing for plus subscribers! I'm really hoping for some playstation classics like resident evils to be put up for free now, they have been a while ago but not recently :p

Soldato
Anyway, Dead Space 2 from later today :), and why exactly am i still paying for XBL?.

I think the same thing. You get nothing at all for XBL gold. Oh,apart from party chat :rolleyes: If it wasn't for the fact that I have a lot of friends on XBL then i'd sack it off,get a PS3 again and get PSN+.
IMO sony did it right by allowing free online gaming on PSN and then if you pay for the service you actually get something for your money.

Associate
Does PSN+ have seperate download servers (or some sort of priority download), downloading patches is so slow on regular PSN (assuming its not VM at fault).

I got infamous free after the dropout but have never downloaded it because I was worried it would take to long.

Soldato
I've never had a problem with download speeds, but i know some who have. I have my PS3 and Xbox 360 set up in a DMZ using Virgin superhub. The only problem with the updates for PS3 is the size of the downloads if its an old game that you've just bought. GT5 is supposed to be one of the worst, although I have to admit I've not got the game.

Associate
Seems to be generally, patches for Fallout, Resistance 3, firmware all take ages. XBOX seems to be a lot better.

I have the super hub too, 30MB service and I do get that speed on the PC,

Associate
Does PSN+ have seperate download servers (or some sort of priority download), downloading patches is so slow on regular PSN (assuming its not VM at fault).

I got infamous free after the dropout but have never downloaded it because I was worried it would take to long.
taking account of my download speed...
PSN is an absolute pain... it takes an age to download, a further age to install (8+ hours for InFamous 2 to download and install) and just when your ready to play.... it will say there is an update that is another age to download and install. but for the price, a pain i can live with.

Caporegime
Has Borderlands ever been up on offer? I want to buy it and give it a playthrough before Borderlands 2 comes out but you can bet your bottom dollar if I buy it, it will go on offer or be given free as part of the instant game thing.

Soldato
OP
Has Borderlands ever been up on offer? I want to buy it and give it a playthrough before Borderlands 2 comes out but you can bet your bottom dollar if I buy it, it will go on offer or be given free as part of the instant game thing.

there is a higher chance of it being on PS+ being that its already on the marketplace and has a sequel just around the corner, but you just never know

Caporegime
there is a higher chance of it being on PS+ being that its already on the marketplace and has a sequel just around the corner, but you just never know

Mm, it would be a good opportunity to drum up extra sales for Borderlands 2. I would never have entertained Darksiders 2 if it hadn't been for the first one being free. :D

Back
Top Bottom