Please can someone help me on best way to upgrade? :)

Soldato
Associate
OP
I think I have decided what to do!

Thanks to eveyone for all your help! Much appreciated :)

I will buy the RX 580, Already bought a cheap 600w PSU
I will buy the 1440p monitor
Then I will sell my GTX 1050ti and buy a I7 3770 Chip!

Then I think i can get the best upgrade :)

Associate
Already bought a cheap 600w PSU
Cheap and PSU should never be used in the same sentence!

Unless that sentence is "Im going to throw that cheap PSU in the bin!"

What PSU did you buy? make and model?

Please bear in mind that the PSU supplies electricity to every component inside your computer, if it fails, there is a possibility of it taking out the entire PC!
Better PSU's are less likely to fail and when they do then the less likely the PSU will damage other components if it fails.

Associate
Please cancel it or send it straight back if too late. It is ill equipped to handle a standard home/office PC never mind having an I7 and gaming graphics card attached to it!

Get this, yes it is a lot more expensive but it has a 7 year warranty and will have no issues.
My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £90.49 (includes shipping: £10.50)​

If you want high performance parts then make sure you have a high performance PSU!

Associate
The Corsair VS units are not very good either.
Here is a PSU tier list, higher the model the better, https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/
I would only consider using Tier 1 or 2, my current PSU is a tier 2 unit. If you are really on that much of a budget then go to tier 3 but i wouldn't go lower than that.

This unit would suffice, and shipping is included so if you are buying other parts then you can divide that up.
Total: £77.45 (includes shipping: £10.50)​

Associate
OP
The Corsair VS units are not very good either.
Here is a PSU tier list, higher the model the better, https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/
I would only consider using Tier 1 or 2, my current PSU is a tier 2 unit. If you are really on that much of a budget then go to tier 3 but i wouldn't go lower than that.

This unit would suffice, and shipping is included so if you are buying other parts then you can divide that up.
Total: £77.45 (includes shipping: £10.50)

Thanks so much buddy! I really appreciate your time.

The bitfenis is 550W and for the extra £10 i get the 600w version so will probs get that when i order the RX580, the I7 Chip will have to go on the back burner for now...

They have shipped the cheap one from ebay already so probs not worth sending back, i will keep as a spare :)

Associate
Awesome, I know it is pricey and a lot of people dont think about the PSU much when they are building PC's as it adds nothing to overall performance, but its is the beating heart of every system.

Man of Honour
The PSU is argueably the most important component in a pc and is not a place to save money. Take that piece of junk so called 600w psu that you have bought. It says 600w big and clear in the advert yet on the all important 12v rail where it's needed in a modern pc it only has 26A which equates to a miserable 312w and I doubt if it would even manage that. If you tried powering your pc with a RX580 in it on that psu it would either shut down when any load is put on it or it could spectacularly fail with the possibility of taking other components with it. The reviews at the bottom of the sale page are a joke and those people clearly wouldn't know quality if it landed in their lap!! Cheap psu's are built using the cheapest and worst internal components they can buy, will never deliver anywhere near their stated power, are very inefficient and have most likely not got critical protections. Please have a read of this article (it's rather dated now but it gets the point across) and you will see why you shouldn't skimp on the psu. Here is a review of a Ace PSU and it clearly shows why they should be avioded at all costs.

The Bitfenix Formula series 550w that the guys are recommending to you is a quality psu and is capable of delivering the complete 550w on it's 12v rail. It also has a 5 Year warranty. Quality doesn't come cheap and when it comes to the PSU it's well worth paying for.

Associate
OP
The PSU is argueably the most important component in a pc and is not a place to save money. Take that piece of junk so called 600w psu that you have bought. It says 600w big and clear in the advert yet on the all important 12v rail where it's needed in a modern pc it only has 26A which equates to a miserable 312w and I doubt if it would even manage that. If you tried powering your pc with a RX580 in it on that psu it would either shut down when any load is put on it or it could spectacularly fail with the possibility of taking other components with it. The reviews at the bottom of the sale page are a joke and those people clearly wouldn't know quality if it landed in their lap!! Cheap psu's are built using the cheapest and worst internal components they can buy, will never deliver anywhere near their stated power, are very inefficient and have most likely not got critical protections. Please have a read of this article (it's rather dated now but it gets the point across) and you will see why you shouldn't skimp on the psu. Here is a review of a Ace PSU and it clearly shows why they should be avioded at all costs.

The Bitfenix Formula series 550w that the guys are recommending to you is a quality psu and is capable of delivering the complete 550w on it's 12v rail. It also has a 5 Year warranty. Quality doesn't come cheap and when it comes to the PSU it's well worth paying for.

Thanks so much buddy! I really appreciate that confirmation! I am so glad I know now lol would have been an expensive mistake!

I am going for the antec 650w one he posted as its only 10 more and when I purchase it with the graphics card I only pay postage on 1 item by the looks of it so sounds the best option. Then just source an I7 3770 on ebay and good to go!

Thanks guys and as long as I don't f up installing it all should be ok fingers crossed.!

They refunded the cheap supply on ebay as it hadn't left them yet so happy days

Associate
You won’t regret buying a good psu... but you will heavily regret a cheap one that takes out the gpu or Mobo when it goes pop !

Learned this the hard way several years ago... when it comes to psu pay extra and relax !

Associate
You won’t regret buying a good psu... but you will heavily regret a cheap one that takes out the gpu or Mobo when it goes pop !

Learned this the hard way several years ago... when it comes to psu pay extra and relax !

I don’t know much about PSU, but had mine around 7 years.
It’s an Antec Truepower 650w it says maximum 54amp but each 12v shows 25amp as in the pic
maxresdefault.jpg

Is this bad as earlier someone said miserable 26amp that equates to around 312w.

I have a 2500k i5 at 4.2ghz and a 7950.
Thinking of upgrading to a 1070ti or 1070/1080. I have seen that vega 64 are supposed to be good but very power hungry.

What would be my best choice of card with my current PSU? Is the one I have OK? Is there a change cycle I need to think about with it being 7 years old?

Associate
OP
I don’t know much about PSU, but had mine around 7 years.
It’s an Antec Truepower 650w it says maximum 54amp but each 12v shows 25amp as in the pic
maxresdefault.jpg

Is this bad as earlier someone said miserable 26amp that equates to around 312w.

I have a 2500k i5 at 4.2ghz and a 7950.
Thinking of upgrading to a 1070ti or 1070/1080. I have seen that vega 64 are supposed to be good but very power hungry.

What would be my best choice of card with my current PSU? Is the one I have OK? Is there a change cycle I need to think about with it being 7 years old?

I have just bought the exact same psu 2nd hand from ebay to power my new 1070 when it arrives. Antec are meant to be good psus from what I believe so fingers crossed lol

Associate
That Antec is a multi-rail PSU. Personally, I'd always take a high amp single-rail unit over any multi-rail one. But that's just me. I also do not rate Antec PSUs as much as I once did, the Bitfenix recommended to you is a far better unit.

Man of Honour
That's looks like the Truepower New. It was built by Seasonic and has 648w across it's quad 12v rails. Personally I would be replacing that psu for something more reliable and efficient due to it's age. Keep the Antec as a spare.

@MATTHEW BAMBER There you go skimping on the psu again. There is no way in hell that I would be buying a second hand psu that is potentially 8-9 years old (they launched in 2009/2010). Internal componenet of psu's degrade over time (capacitor ageing for example) and the psu can become less efficient and reliable. Cancel the sale if you can and spend money on a decent psu that is going to last.

Associate
That's looks like the Truepower New. It was built by Seasonic and has 648w across it's quad 12v rails. Personally I would be replacing that psu for something more reliable and efficient due to it's age. Keep the Antec as a spare.

@MATTHEW BAMBER There you go skimping on the psu again. There is no way in hell that I would be buying a second hand psu that is potentially 8-9 years old (they launched in 2009/2010). Internal componenet of psu's degrade over time (capacitor ageing for example) and the psu can become less efficient and reliable. Cancel the sale if you can and spend money on a decent psu that is going to last.

I have just gone onto my Overclockers Buy history. It was bought 7th Nov 2011 but during its 7 years has hardly been used for 4 of those and back then it was built for world of Warcraft, so has had a delicate life,

It was bought to run a GTX 460 which I used for 2.5years
Then powered a 7950 for around 6 months.

The model description is
Antec TruePower New Modular 650W '80 Plus Bronze' Power Supply
CA-117-AN

So maybe not exact one I took screen shot of.

Still best to swap out? I remember it being rated good at the time when looking on forums. But times change.

Associate
I have just bought the exact same psu 2nd hand from ebay to power my new 1070 when it arrives. Antec are meant to be good psus from what I believe so fingers crossed lol

After all the advise that we have given you, you still try and cheap out on the PSU, i mean how do you know that unit has not been running on a mining rig for the last 3 years 24/7?? There are ways you can cut costs when it comes to building PC's, but PSU's are not one of them!!
I feel at this stage i would make more progress by banging my head against a wall.

@markymoo I think you should upgrade it, especially if you are thinking of upgrading other components. The Antec unit i posted above is a cracking unit at a reasonable price with a 7 year warranty.

Please remember, manufacturers dont create all of their PSU's equally, if you look at the PSU Tier List i posted above, Antec have units in 6 of the 7 tiers, always aim for tier 1 or 2, tier 3 if your on a tight budget and dont have top of the range parts.

Back
Top Bottom