• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

please just stop it, stop buying

Soldato
It started, it feels, from the original Titan doing absolute gangbusters, way ahead of Nvidia expectations in the consumer space.

Set the blueprint for these monster prices on the consumer focused SKUs

Soldato
Still rocking 1080p/60hz being old and remembering my first PC (a spectrum 48K) everything still looks amazing and im still rocking a 3yr old set up with no problems. The itch is real though but i wont spend more that 400 quid on a GPU (and then the watercooling block on top) and there is nothing in that range that excites me.

Associate
Look at the 2080 thread compared to the 2080 TI thread, people are not buying the 2080, there's been spare stock since launch so no need to preach really.

The 2080 TI is a different matter, for those of us who game at 4K it's a compelling proposition though I'm a subscriber to the theory nvidia have priced everything as they have to offload millions of unsold 10xx series GPU's they built for mining.

Soldato
The people buying the 2080ti are the sort who will pay just to have the best, value for money out the window, the type of people who also buy titan cards. They will never stop buying.

End of the day its up to them, if thats what they want to do, then its up to them what they spend their money on. I think non ti 2080 and 2070 sales are trashed compared to both last 2 gens tho.

Associate
I have the money burning a hole in my account for one, I normally upgrade most years. an extra 30% would be nice over my 1080ti. but it is taking the priss. So If this is the way its going to be then I will upgrade every 2-3 years. Im looking at hopefully if I bite next year a nice 50-60% increase. If it is like £1400 then I would have still saved asthat would have broken my GPU spending average to £700 for both years. If it was the price of a 1080ti which cost me £100 or so more nvidia would have had a 800 plus income from me in their bank now, but instead lose over £200, do not earn interest. So overal they lose at these prices. And anyway TBH My 1080ti runs my triples just fine, it runs my VR just fine, It will not be good enough for the Pimax but neither is a 2080ti hopefully the 3080ti will, so there is nothing useful to upgrade to anyway.

Man of Honour
Best thing that can happen is RTX fails hard. Early adopters stung & bitterness against Nvidia. Hopefully a correction shift happens.

According to Gibbo the cards are selling well.

I think it already has mate

Don't think so.

The better SKUs are very difficult to get hold of.

I have a pair of EVGA FTW3 2080 Ti cards on the way from Caseking in Germany, I was very lucky to get my hands on them as they sold out almost straight away.

You obviously have a problem with the 20XX series but it is really pointless to keep repeating it in every thread.

There are things about the cards I think could be better but I don't feel the need to keep repeating them as they are obvious to anyone and everyone.

Ray Tracing for example could be really draining on performance but using a pair of cards with NVLink will fix that in games that support it.

Permabanned
What will you have bought with that £3.50 lol

A Sainsburys basics sata cable.

I have the money burning a hole in my account for one, I normally upgrade most years. an extra 30% would be nice over my 1080ti. but it is taking the priss. So If this is the way its going to be then I will upgrade every 2-3 years. Im looking at hopefully if I bite next year a nice 50-60% increase. If it is like £1400 then I would have still saved asthat would have broken my GPU spending average to £700 for both years. If it was the price of a 1080ti which cost me £100 or so more nvidia would have had a 800 plus income from me in their bank now, but instead lose over £200, do not earn interest. So overal they lose at these prices. And anyway TBH My 1080ti runs my triples just fine, it runs my VR just fine, It will not be good enough for the Pimax but neither is a 2080ti hopefully the 3080ti will, so there is nothing useful to upgrade to anyway.

People who upgrade with every new generation won't be gaining anything to justify the added cost of a Turing RTX card, A year from now we'll be lucky if there's enough RT games to cover the fingers on one hand. As you say the smart money's on not upgrading so often, Things may change in a few years but for now it's likely the use of ray-tracing will grow slower than it is for DX12 & Vulcan.

Last edited:
Soldato
Some cards double the price of last gen
Features that have no use
Strong possibility of 7nm out soon

I wouldn’t mind if the 2080ti was a titan and the lower cards stayed the same price as last gen but I hate the way they’ve priced the ti as a titan and just dragged all the other prices up behind it.

We desperately need another player in the market.

My only hope is that there aren’t enough people out there who are willing to swallow the ti price to make nVidia think twice for the next gen.

Associate
People complain about the RTX series pricing as though they're the only cards on the market and nVidia have somehow magically disabled older cards.

I was playing BF1 the other night on my 1080s (only one of them - I'd forgotten to enable SLI, and my 2080Ti is borked). Did I notice any difference at 3440x1440 at ultra settings? Nope. It played smooth and fine.

I'm sure it would struggle at 4K with the same settings, but (gasp!) you can take it down a notch and it still works!

No-one is forcing you to buy the latest tech or to play games at super-duper ultra settings in whatever the latest K is. I still watch TV on an 2011 HD plasma ffs. I don't whine about OLED prices (I'm more miffed they don't support 3D any more but that's another story....)

Soldato
People complain about the RTX series pricing as though they're the only cards on the market and nVidia have somehow magically disabled older cards.

I was playing BF1 the other night on my 1080s (only one of them - I'd forgotten to enable SLI, and my 2080Ti is borked). Did I notice any difference at 3440x1440 at ultra settings? Nope. It played smooth and fine.

I'm sure it would struggle at 4K with the same settings, but (gasp!) you can take it down a notch and it still works!

No-one is forcing you to buy the latest tech or to play games at super-duper ultra settings in whatever the latest K is. I still watch TV on an 2011 HD plasma ffs. I don't whine about OLED prices (I'm more miffed they don't support 3D any more but that's another story....)

People do believe that nVidia “disable” older cards.

TVs are really cheap now compared to the past. I don’t think that’s a great example. You don’t need OLED but at least it’s a decent step up if you want to pay.

No one wants to feel like they’re buying old tech, especially with high end GPUs. NVidia are harming the pc gaming market.

Permabanned

Personally I think the complaints are valid, It's been a long wait for Pascals replacement & when it got here we are shown a tech that's going to have a slow uptake & the only card with a real world performance increase costs double the card it replaces. That's the main problem & it's a valid one.

Soldato
Personally I think the complaints are valid, It's been a long wait for Pascals replacement & when it got here we are shown a tech that's going to have a slow uptake & the only card with a real world performance increase costs double the card it replaces. That's the main problem & it's a valid one.
it depends how you look at it. The 20 series can do stuff the previous gen;s cannot. While it may not be "real world" performance at the moment, the future is probably where they're going to shine. I personally don't see the point in just pushing out more of the same each gen. At some point someone has to take the step of introducing new tech. And that is always naturally going to mean a slow take-up initially.
Top end 10 series were already fast enough for the majority so it's a good time to introduce new tech. Nothing outside of poorly developed games struggle at 1080P or 1440P with a 1080 Ti or even lesser 10 series. Probably 75%+ of 20 series buyers, including me, didn't really need to upgrade, and the same % is probably true about those complaining about the 20 series.
Should the new features help make the GPU's shine then that will negative some of the argument against pricing, especially the Ti which has poor availability anyway.
It'll be good to see how the first RT and DLSS games do as that will help clarify whether NV have released new tech a little too early, especially in the case of RT.
What does back the pricing of the 20 series is that if new games do indeed perform well, there;s probably going to be a mad upgrade rush. People will want to experience RT for themselves if it's a half decent implementation. You're paying say £40 or whatever for a game where a lot of R&D has been spent on RT, why not?

Last edited:
Soldato
Wow. Why?! Freesync monitor only rational explanation :p.

What made you do that if you don't mind me asking?

So I felt recently Nvidia were exllotinexus consumers. 3 years now we are still paying the same for 1080 like performance.
But I really needed the card for production and for apple build.

To be honest I feel the frametimes are better and the graphics quality is better on screen. Sounds bizzare, but I literally turn of the fps counter and enjoy the games. I don't regret selling the 1080ti atall.

Back
Top Bottom