Plusnet Discussion Thread

Associate
Just installed the 500mbps TP link homeplugs and it seems i am limited by the speedtest.
BT Checker is now giving me 73Mbps and 16Mbps upload
Seems the plugs worked, also usenet was downloading at 70Mb.

Just changing the Router homeplug to 500Mb bumped my speed to 55Mb and with both install the speeds as stated above.

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
Looking at all thequestionnaires and things from the house I'm buying, it looks like they only have virgin for phone line at the moment, will this complicate matters at all if I were to go for unlimited fibre and phone??

Why not get VM's cable modem service?

Associate
@valve90210

Technically there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to get a BT line, since BT service pretty much every property in the country. Having said that though, a friend of mine in West London lives in a property that BT apparently cannot service, even though there's a GPO manhole on the pavement right outside the property.

Associate
Plusnet install is this afternoon :)

Unfortunately my Homeplug plans failed as I only get 7Mbps throughput on a 14-18Mbps sync :eek: :( For today I'll string an ethernet cable across the house but it looks like I'll have to get creative.

Across the bedroom floor, up through wardrobe, across the loft, down the back of the house behind a drainpipe, in through the kitchen window frame then finally into my existing router!

Man of Honour
In my parents house which is over 4 floors, I installed structured cabling with wall sockets throughout the house into a patch panel in the utility room - it made life so much easier - despite having a wireless connection and a repeater it was much less stress accessing the server from a wired 1gb connection.

In my current flat I have a solid connection to my switch where my server and main internet devices connect to - my server does all my downloads/uploads/usenet etc... so I can get the full bandwidth as a result even with the thompson router which is 100mb - but since my connection is ~74ish it's fine! However over the wireless, I don't get much more than 34 despite the wireless being connected at 65+. It's just the way wireless is.

I personally love wifi for convenience, but if you have a fixed computer, and server/systems in place, wired will always be king - and 1gb networking kit is so cheap and makes life SO much easier - especially when copying large files.

Soldato
Why not get VM's cable modem service?

Traffic management...etc etc

@valve90210

Technically there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to get a BT line, since BT service pretty much every property in the country. Having said that though, a friend of mine in West London lives in a property that BT apparently cannot service, even though there's a GPO manhole on the pavement right outside the property.

The street will be fine for getting a BT line I just wondered if it meant I needed to get BT to get a line hooked up (if there isn't one already at the property that just isn't used) or if that would be part of the service when I subscribe to plusnet?

***EDIT***

I decided it would be easiest to just ask plusnet, so after a quick chat with one their online help people, it turns out that if you don't have a bt line installed already, there is an additional £49.99 charge to get one installed. This is all setup when you go ahead and order, and is separate to the openreach modem installation.

Last edited:
Associate
Just had mine connected and I'm a bit disappointed to be honest. The estimate was for 34/6.

2521939217.png

Plusnet website says my current line speed is 37Mb so hopefully my speed will creep up during the training period.

Of course this is all relative. My connection is currently 4 times faster than it was this morning :)

Soldato
OP
Just had mine connected and I'm a bit disappointed to be honest. The estimate was for 34/6.

2521939217.png

Plusnet website says my current line speed is 37Mb so hopefully my speed will creep up during the training period.

Of course this is all relative. My connection is currently 4 times faster than it was this morning :)

why are u disappointed, the upload is more than bt estimated, as for download, that perfectly normally for 10 days training speed can go and down. wait until after 5 days check again.

Associate
why are u disappointed, the upload is more than bt estimated, as for download, that perfectly normally for 10 days training speed can go and down. wait until after 5 days check again.
Because the estimates give an error margin of 1Mb and nowhere mentions it is normal for speeds to start 8Mb or in my case 20% lower than the estimate.

Oh and of course there is the green eyed monster seeing all these big swinging pipes other FTTCers are packing :p

Associate
If plusnet says your sync speed then they are correct this comes from your modem!
Mine current says 77Mb Be carefull when doing speedtest because there servers become overloaded fast. Test early morning for a true result

Associate
If plusnet says your sync speed then they are correct this comes from your modem!
Mine current says 77Mb Be carefull when doing speedtest because there servers become overloaded fast. Test early morning for a true result
Both Speedtest.net and the BT wholesale one agree. According to the BT one my IP profile is 27Mb so I am at max speed.

I just realised my old router was still connected to an extension socket and presumably spraying interference down the phone line. Surprised the BT engineer didn't ask if I had disconnected the old one.

Soldato
Just ordered. :D

Got three months half price. Was chatting online to a member of their staff and asked about any deals. Was told to just search as they were out there. Found it here - http://www.cable.co.uk/deals/half-price-plusnet-fibre-broadband/

53mb download estimated which is not as high as some, but will be a nice change from my current 2.5mb!

I like the fact that I have not moved in yet but they are making arrangement to take over the line and give me a new phone number. No cost. Engineer is coming out to fit it all the day after I move in. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom