Plusnet Discussion Thread

Soldato
Need to renew with Plusnet next week but they're pretty much holding me over a barrel since I have 8 months of line rental saver left to use. That's the problem with these 12 month line rental savers paired with 18 month broadband contracts...

Best they can offer me is £36/mo for 80/20 Mb/s, whereas new customers can get it for £28/mo with a £70 voucher. I asked them to at least match Vodafone but no dice. Guess I just have to see if I get someone more reasonable on the phone next time.

What's stopping you having your line rental with them and someone else for your broadband?

Associate
I got my price increase email on Thursday, but I'm not even sure if it's worth my time moving to another ISP (I think my contract is up for renewal soon) considering neither openreach nor plusnet can find out what has been causing my connection drops and it could easily move over to whatever provider I decide to go to.

Caporegime
I got my price increase email on Thursday, but I'm not even sure if it's worth my time moving to another ISP (I think my contract is up for renewal soon) considering neither openreach nor plusnet can find out what has been causing my connection drops and it could easily move over to whatever provider I decide to go to.
Only way to confirm it’s a line fault is move provider. Zen are normally very dogged in investigating line faults and pushing Openreach for fixes if it is indeed a line fault.

Soldato
I currently pay £22/mo. The best offer I can get is £29.99/mo for 18 months. I've already paid for line rental saver and I get a referral discount, so for the first 6 months it'd be £16.49 + £11 - £2.50 = £24.99/mo, then the next 12 months would be £17.49 + £11 - £2.50 = £25.99/mo, so an average of £25.66/mo over the contract. Vodafone would be £23/mo. Not sure if it's worth the hassle/risk of switching as I have no idea what Vodafone is like from a customer service point of view, or from a throttling/traffic management point of view.

EDIT: Just seen I can also get £85 cashback switching to Vodafone. Guess that settles it then!

Last edited:
Soldato
Hmm maybe I can't get Vodafone. Signed up through their website and failed a credit check, then it asked me to remove products from my basket because my credit limit was £0. Now it asks me to login cos my email address is already registered but the password they emailed me doesn't work...

Associate
I used cashback site called quidco. I just switched over to nowtv broadband today. Miss some features of plusnet (static OP for just a one off charge of £5). It's a nice to have - even if you're not streaming or hosting a web server. The IP is yours and yours only. on dynamic IP i've been marked as ip banned by a few server providers. The nowtv uses IPv6, which looks dodgy.

But what lured in me is the price. £30 a month for full speed fibre, included unlimited landline and mobile calls. quidco gives you £90 cashback. So the effective cost per month is £22.50 p.m.

With all providers (including plusnet). You must remember to ditch them from the introductory rate otherwise costs can go up. On plusnet it moved from an introductory rate of £32.50pm to £46pm. On nowtv broadband it would go for £30pm to £55pm. I already have it on my reminder to switch broadband and telephone on the 12 month anniversary date to avoid rip off out of contract costs.

This will be an unpopular opinion, but I considered switching down from 60Mb to 36Mb - but the price difference wasn't a lot. If the price difference was bigger I'd have to ask how often do you need full speed fibre really?

Associate
I used cashback site called quidco. I just switched over to nowtv broadband today. Miss some features of plusnet (static OP for just a one off charge of £5). It's a nice to have - even if you're not streaming or hosting a web server. The IP is yours and yours only. on dynamic IP i've been marked as ip banned by a few server providers. The nowtv uses IPv6, which looks dodgy.

But what lured in me is the price. £30 a month for full speed fibre, included unlimited landline and mobile calls. quidco gives you £90 cashback. So the effective cost per month is £22.50 p.m.

With all providers (including plusnet). You must remember to ditch them from the introductory rate otherwise costs can go up. On plusnet it moved from an introductory rate of £32.50pm to £46pm. On nowtv broadband it would go for £30pm to £55pm. I already have it on my reminder to switch broadband and telephone on the 12 month anniversary date to avoid rip off out of contract costs.

This will be an unpopular opinion, but I considered switching down from 60Mb to 36Mb - but the price difference wasn't a lot. If the price difference was bigger I'd have to ask how often do you need full speed fibre really?
I need to ditch PlusNet as my intro has finished, Vodafone looks like a good bet price wise

Associate
Just cancelled plusnet after 4 years service. Currently paying £36 for 34Mb and phone line. We dont really use the landline as both have mobiles so jumping ship to virgin for 100Mb for £18/m

Soldato
My contract expires soon but I have ~7 months of line rental saver left to go so can't exactly leave. Hopefully will get a deal similar to the one I have now for another 18 months. It's not like I'm gonna get FTTP any time soon since I don't live in a city or a rural area, which is where the FTTP focus is.
Contact them - they may renew both to coincide even though you have months left, but check with them. No harm in asking.

Soldato
Contact them - they may renew both to coincide even though you have months left, but check with them. No harm in asking.
I did, they were having none of it. I think I was with them for 5-6 years but moving to Vodafone next week. Slightly cheaper than what I'm paying now, as opposed to a big hike I'd have been paying by staying with Plusnet.

Soldato
I did, they were having none of it. I think I was with them for 5-6 years but moving to Vodafone next week. Slightly cheaper than what I'm paying now, as opposed to a big hike I'd have been paying by staying with Plusnet.

Does Vodafone offer static IP for residential customers?

Soldato
Good luck with Vodafone, I haven’t heard great things.
They have UK based customer service like Plusnet. Pretty much any other problem is down to Openreach so I am not sure it'll make much difference. Their home broadband business has a better rating than Plusnet on Trustpilot, although I am not convinced of the accuracy of such websites. I definitely had a crap experience with Vodafone's mobile business a few years back.

Man of Honour
It's Vodafone's internal network that apparently has issues. There are also posters on this forum that have had random disconnects with them which has been cured switching provider. YMMV.

Soldato
It's Vodafone's internal network that apparently has issues. There are also posters on this forum that have had random disconnects with them which has been cured switching provider. YMMV.
All I know is they had issues with certain data types being throttled, which was fixed back in March. Haven't seen any widespread issues reported since then.

Associate
Plusnet have become a massive joke as I decided to move to Zen one day after my contract ended only to get a letter today stating that I was leaving before the end of my minimum term and that I would be liable to pay over £300 for the remainder only for there to be no data on their systems relating to it.

Back
Top Bottom