Plusnet Discussion Thread

Soldato
If I replace my router with an 802.11 ac one, would I still get the same speeds as I do over my wired connection?

HAZNkNv.jpg.png

i.e ~a gigabit of throughput. I read 802.11 ac can do up to 1.3Gbps, however in real world there's interference etc. So guess it would be more like 500Mbps, if that.

Currently paying £45 /month for 12 months for 1Gb unlimited FTTB

I find other 'Superfast' fibre companies a joke really. Shocking upload speeds, thats not proper fibre

maj

maj

Soldato
So more fun and games. Spoke to live chat Sunday night and yesterday evening. Speed is below 50mb when both of them confirmed my line is capable of 78mb. Both said they would up the speed at their end, will take 4 hours and to then restart router blah blah blah. No difference. Doesn't matter if I use wifi or ethernet directly into router. Even at its current speed Youtube buffers so something isn't right somewhere despite them saying there isn't actually a fault. Showed them the speedtest score and they said that ookla's isn't a true representation and to use BT's own. I did and they had no response.

Spoke to them again this morning with threat of cancellation to be told that my cooling off period started the date I signed up and not the day my internet was active. What?! I waited 3 weeks just to have my phone line installed and they couldn't even post my router to me in time for the appointment. Why would I cancel before I've had chance to see if I could get my estimated speeds? They've got one more chance to sort things out instead of fobbing me off with just telling me to restart my router etc.

V_R

V_R

Soldato
Well I move to Zen this time next week.

I've tried all I can to find out why my speeds are slower than they should be. I've ruled out anything at home, even gone as far as to buy a new router to eliminate my current setup. No different.
There is no noise on the line and according to OR there is nothing wrong with the line either.
My speeds are still 'capped' (I use that word for lack of a better one, not sure if capped is 100% correct) at 69Mbps regardless of still syncing at the full speed as I have for the duration of the time I've had FTTC. (I'm ~150m from the cab)

So this time next Wednesday I'll know for sure if it is Plusnet that is the issue.

Will the move make a difference? I honestly don't know but PN seem to be heading in one direction and are having more and more issues as time goes by. So if I didn't move now I can only see it being later on down the line anyway.

maj

maj

Soldato
I have an Openreach engineer working on my fault as I type this. Took 3 attempts by me getting in touch and speaking to them for Plusnet to find a fault on my line and it turns out it is the same fault (an unbalanced cable) that I had last week and they they supposedly fixed. Hopefully all is sorted after today and I get my estimated speeds.

Soldato
How is it all going at the moment? It's a shame to see you are still having problems, especially as a new customer, it's not going to look great on their record. Though one can also blame Openreach for not doing their job correctly on the line specifically. :confused:

So far mine has been very stable since my own problem got fixed and I hope it will continue as that. Although another issue that has been around for a while, which is made very obvious if you go to the PN Community Forums, is Packet Loss. :o

maj

maj

Soldato
How is it all going at the moment? It's a shame to see you are still having problems, especially as a new customer, it's not going to look great on their record. Though one can also blame Openreach for not doing their job correctly on the line specifically. :confused:

So far mine has been very stable since my own problem got fixed and I hope it will continue as that. Although another issue that has been around for a while, which is made very obvious if you go to the PN Community Forums, is Packet Loss. :o

Well engineer phoned and said he couldn't find fault in cab and thought it was a problem in my house itself so called in but couldn't find fault there either then after he left he mentioned something about the cab again but that he'd pass everything onto Plusnet and it'd probably be looked at again early next week.

So as things stand I'm still getting around 45mb on a good day.

Xez

Xez

Associate
Having had some recent issues with packet drops with PlusNet and they appear to have returned I think I'll be moving away from PlusNet. I work from home quite a bit and remote working is painfully slow even though I can achieve maximum throughput. They were very good for a good number of years but the last six months have been a little disappointing.

I just need to find a decent unlimited provider that doesn't charge too much as I did find PlusNet was excellent value for money.

Don
Having had some recent issues with packet drops with PlusNet and they appear to have returned I think I'll be moving away from PlusNet.

Just started experiencing this myself last night for the first time. Packet loss was ~20% so online gaming was impossible - judging by twitter and plusnet forum seems to be fairly widespread problem.

However, to give Plusnet benefit of the doubt, one of our BT ADSL lines at work is also experiencing the same packet loss - so possibly a wider BT/Openreach issue?

maj

maj

Soldato
BT engineer was back out today to fix things. Got home and speed is still exactly the same. Chatted to Plusnet who say it will take over 70 hours for them to receive the report from the engineer. Seriously?! They've got till end of this week to sort it before I seriously considering cancelling my contract. Even when sat in kitchen streaming Youtube it buffers and stops half way through whatever I'm watching. Hoping they'll cancel as a good will gesture due to the on-going problems I've had else I'll ask them to give me more months free. Either way I'm struggling to get by even on 45mb.

Virgin are coming to my area 'soon' but too early to say when. Hopefully within a year so will keep them as an option when the time comes.

maj

maj

Soldato
YouTube shouldn't buffer on 45 Meg, are you sure it's not a wireless issue?

It could be as I'm using everything on wireless at the moment till I can get my loft boarded so I can put my server in there and run everything wired.

Got any suggestions? I might try a different channel on the router. My PC that is upstairs doesn't have any problems with Youtube buffering.

Associate
how does PlusNet's business fibre package compare to its standard one and in comparison to other ISP's? It's currently on offer for 24 months

Caporegime
Got issues with my router so I cheekily messaged them on chat to see if I could get a hub one for the cost of delivery but to my surprise they granted my request and didn't ask for postage.

Win.

Soldato
Disconnects and poor speeds suggest an issue with the line, especially if it's been going on for a few days.

Check for line noise (dial 17070). If there's any noise report it as a voice fault (don't mention broadband). It's worth checking at various times as wind and rain can be a factor.

Also worth trying the master socket test port.

Soldato
I don't own a land-line phone so can't check but I've logged a fault with plusnet so they can do some checks.
Seems to have started since the gateway changed, speeds have gone slightly up but any big downloads seem to kill it after an hour or so (steam / PlayStation store).

I need to cancel it soon anyway as I'm moving and that's going to be a fun call as they've added 6 months to my contract from nowhere.

Edit: Gone down again :mad:
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html?id=1481989871583654255

Last edited:
Soldato
Got issues with my router so I cheekily messaged them on chat to see if I could get a hub one for the cost of delivery but to my surprise they granted my request and didn't ask for postage.

Win.

Static IP option, PN Hub is OK if basic but easy to replace, what you get depends on your line (obviously) and I can't comment on support as i've not needed more than a 2 minute phone call to sort out a minor issue about enhanced care.

Back
Top Bottom