Plusnet Discussion Thread

Associate
Thanks for the quick response. Is that using a supplied router or your own? Sorry for the questions I'm just tired of the horrible connection that is offered with Virgin and I'm trying to not get a repeat result.

Man of Honour
Thanks for the quick response. Is that using a supplied router or your own? Sorry for the questions I'm just tired of the horrible connection that is offered with Virgin and I'm trying to not get a repeat result.
Got that ping with my own Asus RT-N56U, pfSense and now my UniFi USG.

APM

APM

Associate
I can get the same as I have with BT for a tenner a month less than BT want to re-contract so it's a no brainer really.

Unless ,of course,there are skeletons in the closet which I don't think there are.

Soldato
I can get the same as I have with BT for a tenner a month less than BT want to re-contract so it's a no brainer really.

Unless ,of course,there are skeletons in the closet which I don't think there are.

Be sure to check the guaranteed speeds and not just the advertised speeds (though given you're on BT it'll presumably be known to you anyway). For me, the faster of the two fibre packages was about a fiver a month more with advertised speed 30 Mb faster...but checking the guaranteed speed it was only 1 Mb faster. They won't do anything unless the speed is below the guaranteed.

Associate
Getting 8-9ms is luck of the draw. It’s equally possible that it’ll be in th 18-20ms range.
I have some ping stats which i log out and can say I get a very stable 13-15ms to both 1.1.1.1 and bbc.co.uk using a HG612 and Edge router X. Not had a single problem with them (or any other fttc either) all about the same in my book just which ever is cheapest + own router combo.

APM

APM

Associate
Be sure to check the guaranteed speeds and not just the advertised speeds (though given you're on BT it'll presumably be known to you anyway). For me, the faster of the two fibre packages was about a fiver a month more with advertised speed 30 Mb faster...but checking the guaranteed speed it was only 1 Mb faster. They won't do anything unless the speed is below the guaranteed.

I'll sign up at the lower speed then try a month at the faster one,that way I shouldn't be tied in to a contract if the higher speed doesn't live up to billing.

Soldato
I’m not sure you can do that. Upgrading wouldn’t be a problem, but downgrading again could be.

Once you’re connected you should be able to see what the line is capable of (assuming the router you’re using shows the necessary information).

Soldato
I'll sign up at the lower speed then try a month at the faster one,that way I shouldn't be tied in to a contract if the higher speed doesn't live up to billing.
Interestingly the customer support person I spoke to before ordering it stated I should go for the lower speed (and priced) package due to the negligible difference in guaranteed speed. I suspect if what you're suggesting doing had been possible, the rep would have also suggested it?

Soldato
Interestingly the customer support person I spoke to before ordering it stated I should go for the lower speed (and priced) package due to the negligible difference in guaranteed speed. I suspect if what you're suggesting doing had been possible, the rep would have also suggested it?
If you now have the connection have you checked what the line is actually capable of?

If I check my line on BT's website they give an estimate of 47Mb-67Mb with a minimum of 41Mb, the connection actually runs at 62Mb.

APM

APM

Associate
I get 72 Mbps with BT now so,seeing as it's all the same hardware regardless,I can't see how there could be any difference beyond traffic shaping policy.

BT want £45/m for 72Mb,Entertainment tv and all in calls,though I still end up paying for calls to mobiles on that plan,at 50% I believe.

Plusnet comes to £34.25/m after cashback with 38Mb,all in calls and a recording youview+ box and the same channels I get now.

I'm going to call BT retentions with this and see if they can match the Plusnet price,if they can't I'd be happy to try Plusnet over TalkTalk or EE etc as ,from what I can gather, they are the best to go with.

APM

APM

Associate
I ended up re-contracting with BT for a little under £38/m,was kind of looking forward to seeing if plusnet would charge me for calls to mobiles on their call plan but maybe a later date for that now.

Soldato
I don't know if its the service or the router/wifi but streaming via the Firestick has started stuttering a lot since switching from Sky to Plusnet.

Back
Top Bottom