Pokemon GO! (2016)

Soldato
The new update is rolling out.

Features buddy system, fixes to prevent hatching animations being randomly skipped and changes so that the poke watch thing will work.

Big change is also dropping support for rooted devices. Being a tech forum, i imagine a few users will be affected. Yeah there are ways around this and it seems like a pretty lazy way to target GPS spoofers.

I think it is also a method to target DIY software modders who fancy they can put out a much better functioning poke go watch on their android/apple watch.

Associate
I wonder how many pokemon go players were actually on rooted devices. I am affected, I have a wileyfox storm, which whilst not actually providing root access runs cyanogen mod from the factory. Pretty annoyed about that, rather than try and find a fix I'll just stop playing unless there is a really simple mod to sort it.

Edit; just found out that it runs ok if I manually download the apk, for some reason the update didn't seem available on the play store.

Last edited:
Soldato
Update is on a slow rollout, from what I've noticed US has it but no other country does yet. I sideloaded the APK from APKMirror anyway.

Wileyfox uses Cyanogen OS, while similar to Cyanogenmod, is slightly different still. Pokemon GO uses the SafetyNet API to detect root so it doesn't matter what ROM you're on, as long as it doesn't have root access.

There is a bypass though, using the same method for root to work with Android Pay: http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/09/11/guide-play-pokemon-go-0-37-rooted-android-magisk/

Majority of the Pokemon I can evolve left needs about under 30km each, abra + machop on 66/87 respectively, and dratini on 490km... that's a lot of walking to do for me :o.

Last edited:
Soldato
A fix so it actually tracks how far you walk more accurately would be a welcome addition to this update. And what about the tracking thing they were trialling, no sign of that?

Caporegime
This thread is a good guide for the popularity of the game.
The walking accuracy is crazy. 5k walked could easily be 1k in game. I've been walking and had speed come up.

I've opened the game each new update and not uses more than that.
Rooted devices must knock off even more users.
Have not seen anyone in my area playing it in last two weeks.

Could have been amazing, it really could have

Having a look just now gyms are still occupied by similar level pokemon to a month ago. I guess levelling up beyond 20 is very very hard or something?

Soldato
My phone practically walks 5k a day just by being on and sat on my desk, its not so bad. I think the feature is just to get the last few candies of a rare Pokemon to get it to evolve, rather than turn your single dratini catch into a dragonite

Soldato
If it accurately tracked how far you walk it wouldn't be so bad (sorry, moaned about that before). Still, it's a welcome addition to get candies I'm just never going to get otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom