Police Taser their own race relations adviser in Bristol

Soldato
Doesn't mean the Police are racist at all, you could just as equally say black people react differently when confronted by the Police to white people, which could be a cultural thing - something quite evident was the reaction of the black guy in the video in the OP. I'd never dream of being mouthy and pushing a Police officer, if I did I'd expect my face to be planted into the pavement.

I'm sorry you are so afraid of the police.

The man had every right to not identify himself, if the police thought he was the suspect he should have been arrested, if they didn't then he is allowed to treat the police with what ever legal disdain he choses.

He didn't identify himself, he got tasered. This is wrong on so many levels.

Soldato
The point is the tazer should only be applied in certain situations. He could have easily been restrained without that kind of force. People die as a result of being tazed. The guy was trying to evade police rather than confronting them. It's poor policing.

What do you mean like when a suspect is pushing, shoving and wrestling with an officer? Do you realise how quickly someone can get knocked out by a punch? Then the female officer would've been left alone with him, and potentially the camera man could've intervened as well.

Has anyone seen that video of the female officer who got attacked by a male suspect? She could've been killed, physical confrontations can't be taken lightly.

I'm sorry you are so afraid of the police.

The man had every right to not identify himself, if the police thought he was the suspect he should have been arrested, if they didn't then he is allowed to treat the police with what ever legal disdain he choses.

He didn't identify himself, he got tasered. This is wrong on so many levels.

I'm not afraid of the Police, I barely have any interactions with them, and when I have done I've been cooperative and have had no issues. We have it easy in this country, if you're getting tasered it's because you ****ed up.

Last edited:
Soldato
Are there any sources that say the police officer announced that he was going to arrest him?

Until the officer actually says that he is under arrest for not identifying himself when he is a suspect, i dont think the officer can restrain him if all he is doing is walking away. That's my understanding of it, though i may be wrong as there are plenty of falsities surrounding what police can and cant do.

Caporegime
The point is the tazer should only be applied in certain situations. He could have easily been restrained without that kind of force. People die as a result of being tazed. The guy was trying to evade police rather than confronting them. It's poor policing.

People can also die from physical restraint.

He could have easily avoided the need for either by not being a giant penis however.

Caporegime
Are there any sources that say the police officer announced that he was going to arrest him?

Until the officer actually says that he is under arrest for not identifying himself when he is a suspect, i dont think the officer can restrain him if all he is doing is walking away. That's my understanding of it, though i may be wrong as there are plenty of falsities surrounding what police can and cant do.

Really?

Do you honestly think the law is that stupid?

"Hmmm the guy's legging it"

"Dont forget you've got to tell him he's under arrest before you actually aprehend him so you can arrest him sarge!!"

You get told you're under arrest after being restrained and made safe if youre resiting.

Soldato
Obviously there is an element of discretion that the police have to take.

On further reading:

What should happen on arrest

The police should only use reasonable force to make an arrest and they should inform you that you are under arrest as soon as possible.

So they can tell you what you have been arrested for after being arrested but really they should have actually said that he is under arrest. not allowing him to get away when they haven't said they were arresting him and especially when they have had plenty of time to do so, does not follow their guidelines. Saying we will have to arrest you is not the same as we are arresting you. It can be the difference of being allowed to leave and not being allowed as far as the guy understood it or he would have either legged it or submitted. If he thought he was under arrest, i don't think he believed closing the gate would cut it :p

Caporegime
so while he was restiting pushing andf fighting they should have told him?

as he wasn't being arrested untill he assaulted them.

Permabanned
Yup, and itching to use it too.

The only itching she was probably doing was a natural reaction to the dirty old devil's appearance and demeanour. Until I saw the still photo of him I hadn't realised how low the PC brigade had got to find a liaison officer, what a state he is. You couldn't set a police dog on him for fear of it catching something. I'd want a bath in Dettol after going near him.

Caporegime

On the longer ******** video the policeman clearly says they will arrest him if he doesn't confirm his identity.

Soldato
Really?

Do you honestly think the law is that stupid?

"Hmmm the guy's legging it"

"Dont forget you've got to tell him he's under arrest before you actually aprehend him so you can arrest him sarge!!"

You get told you're under arrest after being restrained and made safe if youre resiting.

Come on he wasn't "legging" it. That's just hyperbole. This was hardly a police chase. :p

Also. It's not typically before or after. It's during. It's usually "I'm arresting you on suspicion of..." present tense. What the officer said was something conditional, unassertive "..well then I'm going to have to arrest you then..." No clear explanation of the offence whatsoever, no explanation of why they even stopped him apart from "you look like some criminal".

Last edited:
Permabanned
The only itching she was probably doing was a natural reaction to the dirty old devil's appearance and demeanour. Until I saw the still photo of him I hadn't realised how low the PC brigade had got to find a liaison officer, what a state he is. You couldn't set a police dog on him for fear of it catching something. I'd want a bath in Dettol after going near him.

Charming.

We have to remember this guy has wrongly been picked on in a mistaken identity scenario before, he also has Autism apparently, the police could have handled this a whole lot better than they did IMHO.

I do respect our police, there are good and bad everywhere though. I remember an incident last year where a hate preacher was screaming in a PO's face in a busy town, Birmingham I think? it was filmed too, the Police Officer acted with admirable restraint, instead of tazering he did his research and the guy was later arrested at his home, no drama no fuss, prefect Policing, these two muppets could learn from him.

Associate
Towards the start of the video he was swearing, walking towards the female officer while waving his hand and finger in her face, he was generally being very aggressive and confrontational. When they were inside the gate he literally pushed the male officer and then started wrestling and throwing him off him as they came onto the street, at that point the confrontation was physical and he was tasered, rightly so. You just can't act like that with Police and expect it to end well, sorry. He wasn't some innocent victim going about his business, he was a suspect who became angry, confrontational and then physical when being asked simple questions in a polite and reasonable manner. Personally I wouldn't have tasered him but you can't expect for the female to wait for her partner to potentially get punched by the guy.

Exactly. The police behaved well. The individual in question was aggressive and abusive. Why did he not behave normally, give the police his name and generally assist them with their enquiry? Did he think he was above the law, or something?

Back
Top Bottom