• Lib Dem

• UKIP

• Other (please state)

• I won't be voting

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
The Telegraph: How the unions wrote Corbyn's manifesto: More than 100 demands 'copied and pasted' into Labour's draft. http://google.com/newsstand/s/CBIwjt-b8zQ

Can we imagine the outcry from the whining left if business had a direct role in the Conservative manifesto?

Does help explain the stupidity though.

The torygraph.

I don't actually care where good proposals come from.

Here is the actual comparison in the telegraph and to me it all looks like sensible stuff...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/0/compare-contrast-union-demands-vs-labours-leaked-manifesto/

Point out a mental [draft] manifesto pledge that happens to also be supported by a union?

Soldato
So the Tories say they will invest in new Council Houses, (no detail on how many or how much though since we are criticising uncosted plans).....so on the face of it that's a good pledge, we need more social housing, BUT what do the usual crowd of "why should my taxes pay for something you are using that I don't get" think of the fact that they are a set term of 10 - 15 years, then would be sold to the tenant under the right to buy scheme - which means at a cheap price and subsidy by the tax payer!

Right to buy is a terrible scheme, lambasted over the years by all sides of the political argument, how the hell can they be promoting it even more

Man of Honour
The torygraph.

I don't actually care where good proposals come from.

Here is the actual comparison in the telegraph and to me it all looks like sensible stuff...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/0/compare-contrast-union-demands-vs-labours-leaked-manifesto/

Point out a mental [draft] manifesto pledge that happens to also be supported by a union?

It may be a telegraph link, but the presence of union leaders in the committee that develops and approves the manifesto is a matter of public record, and union representation in the process was increased at last year's party conference via the inclusion of the tulo in the clause 5 process.

As for a commitment that's mental, who about the one about sectoral pay bargaining. What this actually means is that I would no longer be able to value my own labour, nor would I be able to force employers to compete for my labour, as that control had been taken away.

That may work for bad employees, but for good ones, it really sucks.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
So the Tories say they will invest in new Council Houses, (no detail on how many or how much though since we are criticising uncosted plans).....so on the face of it that's a good pledge, we need more social housing, BUT what do the usual crowd of "why should my taxes pay for something you are using that I don't get" think of the fact that they are a set term of 10 - 15 years, then would be sold to the tenant under the right to buy scheme - which means at a cheap price and subsidy by the tax payer!

Right to buy is a terrible scheme, lambasted over the years by all sides of the political argument, how the hell can they be promoting it even more

Right to buy needs to go, along with lifetime tenancy and tenancy inheritance. There is a need for the state to provide housing, but not to provide a cheap way into a home.

Caporegime

Right to buy is fine, provided you build a new house for every one sold off.

Soldato
Right to buy needs to go, along with lifetime tenancy and tenancy inheritance. There is a need for the state to provide housing, but not to provide a cheap way into a home.

Exactly

Right to buy is fine, provided you build a new house for every one sold off.

Even if they did that, it's the fact they get sold off for less than the cost to build a new one (even if they did 1 for 1) that means the tax payer subsidises the purchase of someone elses home

It's about as fair as housing benefit paying for a landlords mortgage on his 20th property, but woe betide you own your own home and need state help while unemployed, then you get virtually nothing towards your own mortgage

Caporegime
The whole system needs reform, sure, but I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with right to buy. It might not seem so egregious if the housing market as a whole weren't so utterly dysfunctional.

Caporegime
As I've said a few times on here setting up a public ally owned company to compete fairly with the private franchisors would be much better IMO. That way if it's better (such as the Eastcoast example) it will eventually take the majority of the franchises anyway.

Indeed - so long as there is competition for the franchises as there presently is then why not have a state owned firm (or perhaps two competing state owned firms) compete with profits reinvested. If they can run things more efficiently and bid for more franchises then so be it. What would be silly IMO however is to remove any competition and nationalise the entire thing.

Soldato

You need to control the rental market first, renting a family home that costs more than the minimum wage is criminal.

Exactly

Even if they did that, it's the fact they get sold off for less than the cost to build a new one (even if they did 1 for 1) that means the tax payer subsidises the purchase of someone elses home

It's about as fair as housing benefit paying for a landlords mortgage on his 20th property, but woe betide you own your own home and need state help while unemployed, then you get virtually nothing towards your own mortgage

These housing associations have made far more from rental than the property's cost to aquire at the time. Also their value since the council house sell off to housing associations has (in my area at least), increased by anything from 5-10x in the period of ownership. Saying they are losing money when they purchased them (and rented out) for a pitance and their value has exploded is not true. It might cost more to replace them but thats a byproduct of cronic underbuilding for decades.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I've got mixed views on right to buy tbh... but I do think that inherited tenancies are ridiculous and ditto to lifetime tenancies/the lack of means testing.

Man of Honour
You need to control the rental market first, renting a family home that costs more than the minimum wage is criminal.

The market responds to supply and demand. You can't control the costs, you either need to increase supply or reduce demand. The two biggest distortions to the market are the planning system and housing benefit, which both make the problems worse.

Soldato
Michael Fallon on the Andrew Marr Show has just promised an extra £1 billion for the army. Totally unable to explain how it will be funded beyond wishful thinking on the economy growing.

It seems like the Conservatives are given a free pass on unfunded policies.

Caporegime
Or they simply stopped trading - such as in the options markets... so you end up either crippling a market by removing most of its liquidity or basically eliminating it.

Soldato
Just to make posters aware, we aren't resetting the poll this year. As XenForo affords us more options, we've made it so you can change your vote by clicking under the poll.

Obviously, the poll will close before the election begins :p

As been said though, it's a completely inaccurate gauge. The majority of people aren't going to bother re-entering a thread they've clicked on once and forgotten, to change a vote, requiring more clicks etc.

It's the most important general election for the best part of a century. How very lazy..

V F

V F

Soldato
As been said though, it's a completely inaccurate gauge. The majority of people aren't going to bother re-entering a thread they've clicked on once and forgotten, to change a vote, requiring more clicks etc.

It's the most important general election for the best part of a century. How very lazy..

Why does it matter what the result is from this forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom