• Lib Dem

• UKIP

• Other (please state)

• I won't be voting

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
The introduction of PIP is one of the biggest debacles I've ever seen. The difference between assessors attitudes and the accuracy and tone of reports they write is totally unacceptable. It's not really saving any money either as there are two levels of award rather than the old DLA system of three, and most people who were on the second level, now receive the higher award and that's without the added cost of the external agencies. There really was nothing much wrong with the old system. It was certainly better than PIP.

Soldato
You're missing the point entirely.

Even if you're declared medically able to work, if you're disabled or terminally ill you are entitled to disability living allowance / personal independence payments.
I know I have received both. But if you die of natural causes after being declared fit to work, even if it was from a known preexisting condition, that does NOT mean the government murdered you!

It's not really saving any money either as there are two levels of award rather than the old DLA system of three, and most people who were on the second level, now receive the higher award and that's without the added cost of the external agencies. There really was nothing much wrong with the old system. It was certainly better than PIP.

This is one of the comical things with PIP, The Tories wanted to save money but it's costing even more, if you know that a person has a lifetime DLA award then just issue them with a lifetime PIP award, don't waste thousands having them reassessed lol. The amount of effort they put in via administration/etc and medical assessor just to ensure I hadn't evolved past my genetic disorder or regenerated my missing limb must have cost four if not five figures, and the end result was to increase the amount of money I get. How is that supposed to save any money when they're doing it on mass? lol.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
lol what?

My wife has a disability. Your use of 'the disabled' to as a common noun would include her.

So are you, as well as defining my wife by her disability (something she really hates especially when done by those presenting the disabled as helpless victims dependent on the state), also presuming to speak for her?

Associate
Really surprising results from the poll. I'd have expected way more Labour voters on here.

So would I but they're jumping ship like rats to the lib dems like they've totally forgotten how they gave the conservatives power back in the coalition and then raised university fees and the bedroom tax.

They're Tory-lite

Soldato
Really surprising results from the poll. I'd have expected way more Labour voters on here.

Really? You've not seen many of the polls ran on these forums before then.

A couple of close friends and relatives i know who were labour supporters at the last GE, are actually swinging to Tory this time round, for the main reason that they do not like Corbyn.
I think the labour party are going to be in real trouble this time round, and if they perform really bad, it'll stir up calls for him to resign again.

Soldato
So would I but they're jumping ship like rats to the lib dems like they've totally forgotten how they gave the conservatives power back in the coalition and then raised university fees and the bedroom tax.

They're Tory-lite

Compared to a Labour government that introduced university fees in the first place then hiked them up 300%?

Surely as a Labour supporter you should appreciate the student fees model. Forget what the cost of the loan is, assume going to University is free. Once your education is finished if the system works you have a new generation of higher tax paying workers who on top of their regular income tax and NI also have to pay a 9% graduation tax for earnings above £21k for the next 25 years. If you don't pay it off (have to average 42k a year to be clear with the new fees) it's written off, so if you stay on minimum wage for the rest of your life it doesn't matter if fees are 9k or 20k a year, you pay nothing.

Rich pay higher tax (student loan to pay fees), those who can't afford it don't.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Compared to a Labour government that introduced university fees in the first place then hiked them up 300%?

Surely as a Labour supporter you should appreciate the student fees model. Forget what the cost of the loan is, assume going to University is free. Once your education is finished if the system works you have a new generation of higher tax paying workers who on top of their regular income tax and NI also have to pay a 9% graduation tax for earnings above £21k for the next 25 years. If you don't pay it off (have to average 42k a year to be clear with the new fees) it's written off, so if you stay on minimum wage for the rest of your life it doesn't matter if fees are 9k or 20k a year, you pay nothing.

Rich pay higher tax (student loan to pay fees), those who can't afford it don't.

Reality doesn't intrude on ideology.

Associate
Ireland, Portugal and Spain economies all tanked when the financial crisis hit as their economies were unbalanced due over development of housing projects. France suffers ongoing economic turmoil due to it's own cumbersome legislation and Germany risks unbalancing the who Euro region due to it's exports/imports ratio. As an outsider BBB looking in the whole Euro project looks like protection racket to protect German businesses and that's before we get onto Greece and Italy.

French GDP is now bigger than the UK's, thanks to Brexit. The cumbersome legislation is their own, it's not imposed by the EU. The German economy is much better developed than ours; widespread high technology manufacturing and R&D, high citizen education levels, high national minimum wage and cheap house prices compared to the UK.

The French health care system is more effective than the NHS. Their state run health funding scheme works better than ours does. Germany's Gesetzliche Krankenversicherung system functions better than the NHS funding system and public health care standards in Germany are considerably higher.

We are not in the Eurozone and never will be. Irish, Portuguese and Spanish house prices fell off a cliff because of new-build oversupply and because their base rate was not slashed by the ECB to the lowest level for 321 years (unlike our base rate was by the BoE), nor did the ECB trigger several rounds of quantitative easing (as the BoE did). Our house prices dropped by at most 25% and then went right back up again. For the last decade the UK has built the lowest number of new homes each year since the 1920s, (great for property owners and the elite but bad for first-time-buyers). Instead of trying to encourage the development of a high-tech manufacturing economy (like Germany), successive UK governments have taken the easy way out by encouraging the service sector, international financial services industry, low paid/insecure employment and property speculation.

It is not the fault of the EU that ~800,000 unskilled Poles moved to the UK between 2004 and 2011. Tony Blair decided not to implement any restrictions on immigration from the countries which joined the EU in 2004. (In contrast, Germany decided not to open up to unskilled workers from Poland until 2011 and France also delayed it for several years.) EU law does require its member states to offer the same benefits to EU citizens as they do to their own (if those people satisfy certain requirements). However, EU law also states that members can force EU citizens to leave if they have no means to support themselves after 6 months.

Greece should never have even joined the Euro. It was proved that the Greek economy had not met all the five accession criteria for joining the Eurozone (as they submitted manipulated budget deficit figures). Italy has a serious problem with government corruption and the embezzlement of public funds, the EU can hardly take the blame for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom