Poll: Poll: UK General Election 2017 - Mk II

Who will you vote for?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
It's really interesting to read the first dozen or so pages of the original thread. I myself said:

"Wow this is very exciting - unfortunately I can't see this being anything other than landslide to conservations. There is no credible opposition leader :/

There will probably be a mild swing in favour of lib dems."

And now look where we are!! I agree, have never seen such a slide to labour on here pretty much ever... in ~12 years.

Even I'm going to vote labour :eek: :eek: :eek:

I'm genuinely excited to watch the results come in tomorrow evening and the early hours of Friday, I'd be pleased just to see a bigger turnout of voters and cons not gaining any seats.

Soldato
But not everyone can be wealthy, it is impossible putting aside the simple fact that some people are not equipped the physical/mental acuity to reach such a level you cannot have everyone in the country who is an MD, business owner etc etc etc. It is systemic that some will be better off and others less so, as such your argument is redundant and just because some can become wealthy does not mean you should label others as failures or not give them a base level of support that underpins society.

If everyone was Elon Musk who would empty your bins?

I don't know if the people who parrot on how everyone should be successful have given it much thought....I guess their streets just stay magically clean.

Caporegime
There was an interesting piece on BBC breakfast this morning which I half watched as I only realised it was worth watching when it was almost done, so excuse the not quite so perfect figures

They took an average wage person (think £27k) and worked out that after the main taxes (Income/NI/VAT/fags/booze etc) they paid 35% in tax
They took a higher earner and Im quite unsure here, but was something like £50k and worked out under the same measure they typically paid 34%

As my link shows above it gets even less as you earn more. The top few percent only pay 31% tax on average.

Man of Honour
what was survations track record like on previous elections and the referendum. As much as I would like to see a hung parliament in order to force politicians to work together, I think this could be a classic underestimation of the penetrative nature of the Daily Heil's bile and people just being shy about coming out and saying yes I will be voting to Tory as i am looking forward greatly to my reduced civil liberties and to watching the final crushing of the poor.

Survations final poll in 2015 was basically spot on.

Man of Honour
A couple of my Scottish mates (one in Inverness one in the Ayrshire area) have been telling me the local Scottish press are mentioning a swing up there back toward labour. No idea if there is anything in this but that could be huge.

Polls suggest Labour and Tory could be neck and neck, will probably benefit the SNP if the unionist vote splits again.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

As my link shows above it gets even less as you earn more. The top few percent only pay 31% tax on average.

Exactly - I see Labours increases as an attempt to re-balance that (which it might actually achieve).

Soldato
It's fine - if the "wealth creators" don't want to contribute according to their ability, we'll just stop them from using the services of any publicly funded resource.

That means they cannot get their raw materials delivered on OUR roads, nor can they move their products on OUR roads.
They cannot get their raw materials delivered on OUR railways, nor can they move their products on OUR railways.
They cannot employ anyone that has been state educated nor been to university and had a student loan.
They cannot employ anyone that makes use of OUR NHS.
They cannot employ anyone that lives in one of OUR council houses.
They should not expect OUR Police to protect their property if someone want to take it.
They should not expect OUR fire service to protect their property.
They should not expect OUR armed forces to protect them if a foreign regime wants to take their property or kill them.
They should not expect OUR security services to protect them from terrorism.

Personally, I agree with Dolph on some things - the rich should have the choice of using private firms for some of the above and have a tax reduction accordingly - but that means any service they don't pay for they definitely can't use.

I can't remember where I heard it, but I think it was a TED talk years ago talking about corporate tax evasion...

Basically what you've said was the point she was making, they make use of a safe society with educated workers/roads etc etc paid for by taxes blah blah then they pay nothing (or very little) in despite reaping huge rewards which would not be possible without all of the above paid for by taxes.

Permabanned
I just want a hung govt (labour and whover) so I can go on daily mail and say

"we won, you lost, get over it"
And
"you cant complain.. Its the will of the people"

I know that's unlikely to happen tho

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

I can't remember where I heard it, but I think it was a TED talk years ago talking about corporate tax evasion...

Basically what you said was the point she was making, they make use of a safe society with educated workers/roads etc etc paid for by taxes blah blah then they pay nothing in despite reaping huge rewards.

Yeah, I think Buffet was my original source - read it years ago. I think it's a fair point and especially pertinent as it was made by a billionaire.

Soldato
I've never ever voted Tory but Labour has a leader who would be more at home as a country vicar & I just can't imagine him on the world stage. If they win I expect we will see more of their previous offerings such as free laptops for 'poor' families followed by a compulsory extra charge on everyone's internet to pay for it. Cameron scrapped it on his first day of office

Then there was the 'lets make selling a house even more expensive' fiasco with the home information pack which added hundreds of pounds to your selling costs and again scrapped by Cameron.
I have a feeling a lot of brexit remainers have turned to labour because without doubt Corbyn will go for total free movement from the EU so we can expect even more Romanian prostitutes and Gypsies to come by the boatload

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Over half of the population is dependant on the state, that means statistically a small percentage are paying for the majority of the country via tax. Why is pushing them to pay more tax a good idea?

Because the 1% rely on the other 99% to create their wealth.

Soldato
There was an interesting piece on BBC breakfast this morning which I half watched as I only realised it was worth watching when it was almost done, so excuse the not quite so perfect figures

They took an average wage person (think £27k) and worked out that after the main taxes (Income/NI/VAT/fags/booze etc) they paid 35% in tax
They took a higher earner and Im quite unsure here, but was something like £50k and worked out under the same measure they typically paid 34%
Someone on £27k would take home 80.1% of their salary.
Someone on £50k would take home 73.6% of their salary.

For comparison, someone on £150k would take home 60.1% of their salary.

All based on current, not proposed taxation.

Soldato
If everyone was Elon Musk who would empty your bins?

I don't know if the people who parrot on how everyone should be successful have given it much thought....I guess their streets just stay magically clean.

I think It is just a convenient fallacy to tell oneself that if only "they" tried "they" would be better off and "I" would not be expected to help.

As in your example you fundamentally need people to fulfill tasks which will pay less. It is systemic in capitalism to create a have and have not determined by the roles you fulfill in society. Having a social aspect to underpin your capitalism (a welfare state, NHS etc) is pretty much mandatory to any decent society. I accept that a lot of them don't care about decency and only about themselves but surely they must have some basic humanity and sense to realise it cannot operate in such a manner.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

I've never ever voted Tory but Labour has a leader who would be more at home as a country vicar & I just can't imagine him on the world stage. If they win I expect we will see more of their previous offerings such as free laptops for 'poor' families followed by a compulsory extra charge on everyone's internet to pay for it. Cameron scrapped it on his first day of office

Then there was the 'lets make selling a house even more expensive' fiasco with the home information pack which added hundreds of pounds to your selling costs and again scrapped by Cameron.
I have a feeling a lot of brexit remainers have turned to labour because without doubt Corbyn will go for total free movement from the EU so we can expect even more Romanian prostitutes and Gypsies to come by the boatload

Hyperbole.

Caporegime
Over half of the population is dependant on the state, that means statistically a small percentage are paying for the majority of the country via tax. Why is pushing them to pay more tax a good idea?

For the reasons given? They pay as a percentage less than the majority of the working country and their incomes have gone up substantially more than the rest of the country and we need more money and those who are currently paid less cant afford to pay more tax (or it would hurt them a lot more) when their wages are rising less than inflation (due to some stupid idiot deciding to that we should leave the EU)

So yes its basically cause they are the only ones who can atm afford to pay more.

Soldato
I actually don't have much of a problem with people like Bashers point of view, he would be a natural Conservative voter IMO. It's the lower paid loons like 'white van man' and the like who stand to get royally screwed by a Con government yet still vote for them that I will never understand!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom