Poll: Poll: UK General Election 2017 - Mk II

Who will you vote for?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
Forgive me for not being very reassured by that :p Like you said, the effects would be devastating and billions would likely die.

I stand by my statement that only a madman would give the order for a nuclear first strike (esp against another nuclear power). I'm not even sure if Jim Jong is deranged enough (maybe he is...?)

So whilst May might say she would (talk is cheap), I would hope it's just a bluff.

Agreed only a madman would - it is kind of the point of the MAD doctrine though that no one can be sure if its bluff or not so why Corbyn significantly compromises it (and I suspect done on purpose due to his misguided idea that you can shortcut to fixing a system by absolutely breaking it without regard for the consequences).

North Korea is a different case - the siege mentality of their leadership mixed with paranoia means that they likely would strike first if they thought there was a way to do so while minimising return damage - while most other countries even Russia would be very unlikely to do so.

Man of Honour
Ive always wondered something like this. But then questioned how it could work. I agree that it should be something like that. The people who were voting brexit to fix the housing market... wasnt there a huge increase in foreigners purchasing house prices because the currency exchange rate was in their favor.

Could they enforce someone to have had someone permanently living in the UK for a year before allowing them to purchase? Or even just having a British Passport / UK residence card.

I remember reading about one of the Scandinavian countries only allowing citizens to purchase one house. Cant remember which country or if its true.
i dont think yo need to go down that road, you need to increase supply and much more affordable houses.
you need far more renters rights like in Germany. You also want to slowly introduce it over several decades as unfortunately houses are so ingrained in our economy you do not want a crash.

Caporegime
Ive always wondered something like this. But then questioned how it could work. I agree that it should be something like that. The people who were voting brexit to fix the housing market... wasnt there a huge increase in foreigners purchasing house prices because the currency exchange rate was in their favor.

Could they enforce someone to have had someone permanently living in the UK for a year before allowing them to purchase? Or even just having a British Passport / UK residence card.

I remember reading about one of the Scandinavian countries only allowing citizens to purchase one house. Cant remember which country or if its true.
Other EU countries impose varying conditions on foreign ownership, according to this:
https://tranio.com/traniopedia/tips/european_limitations_on_foreign_property_purchases/

Our market is totally unrestricted.

V F

V F

Soldato
If you're white then what? Vermin? United they say? Sends out the message us and them.

this is the real issue we need to slowly de link houses from the economy, over several decades. in the mean time they should allow cheap housing like tiny house craze which is happening in other countries.

Slowly affordable housing should be a right not a commodity , that however doesn't mean dream homes super cheap, it just means the bottom end of the market really should cost peanuts.

You saw what some and its starting to get momentum in America?

Shipping container homes. http://www.containerhomeplans.org/2...n-before-building-my-shipping-container-home/

Caporegime
i dont think yo need to go down that road, you need to increase supply and much more affordable houses.
you need far more renters rights like in Germany. You also want to slowly introduce it over several decades as unfortunately houses are so ingrained in our economy you do not want a crash.
But if your demand tends to infinite, due to speculation, and no increase in supply can hope to make any difference... Esp at the minimal levels we are actually able to build, due to land prices. Heck, land prices alone make build truly affordable houses impossible.

Man of Honour
But if your demand tends to infinite, due to speculation, and no increase in supply can hope to make any difference... Esp at the minimal levels we are actually able to build, due to land prices. Heck, land prices alone make build truly affordable houses impossible.
land prices are only high due to planning permission, there should be different levels of planning permission depending on the home allow don it.

it doesn't tend to infinity there's always a limit, as I said you can introduce renter rights etc that will lower demand.

Caporegime
If you're white then what? Vermin? United they say? Sends out the message us and them.

You saw what some and its starting to get momentum in America?

Shipping container homes. http://www.containerhomeplans.org/2...n-before-building-my-shipping-container-home/
I hope that's not being proposed as a genuine answer (by anyone here in this thread).

That's only a small step away from saying we should have slums like Brazil. "Let the low-paid live in slums they build themselves from bits of cardboard. We'll relax the planning permissions and let them do it. That'll solve the housing crisis!"

V F

V F

Soldato
I think like with any vague political statement, people take what they want from the statement. I read it and took it to mean unlocking of opportunity. Others who would like to see Corbyn villainized will likely take it differently.

You cant possibly think he is actually racist?

Dianne Abbot is not who is close to him?

Caporegime
You cant possibly think he is actually racist?

not in the conventional sense that people often identify with - but racism takes different forms and that policy could certainly be seen as patronising or as an example of low expectations regardless of any good intentions behind it

Caporegime
land prices are only high due to planning permission, there should be different levels of planning permission depending on the home allow don it.

it doesn't tend to infinity there's always a limit, as I said you can introduce renter rights etc that will lower demand.
That's not correct.

Land prices are high due to housing prices being high. The value of the land is worth more because you can build houses on said land, and the houses are worth more.

The second you relax planning permission so that non-viable land can now be built on... tell me what happens to the value of that land. It shoots up, because you can now build on it. And that means $$$$.

Soldato
I love Maybot's defence of her tv swerve being "I'm engaging daily with real voters" I'm assuming the term real voter these days means "stage managed activist crows and not even risking questions from those in favour"

She just be honest and say "I'm an empty shell, a vacuous Maybot mk1 who is unprepared for such things as human interaction and questions. My programming is too strongly stable to engage in such frivolous activities."

Be fascinating to see the impact post debate especially if Corbyn manages to come acrosss well again.

Also, am I the only one looking forward to that brain dead thing Rudd being publicly torn to shreds?

Soldato
er 4x by my maths!

and last year the same house was sold for £95k approx 4 x average income. (Leigh, Lancashire 2 bed terrace house)

Well, you can't use a house price in a specific area then use the national average wage to compare....;)

Avg wage in Lancs is £20k according to ONS figures, so by that example what would be a basic starter home is just under 5 x salary for the area. And that's ooop norf, where the multiplier is going to be one of the lowest

Man of Honour
That's not correct.

Land prices are high due to housing prices being high. The value of the land is worth more because you can build houses on said land, and the houses are worth more.

The second you relax planning permission so that non-viable land can now be built on... tell me what happens to the value of that land. It shoots up, because you can now build on it. And that means $$$$.

No the land prices are high as most land you can not build on, so when land becomes available it is fought over. Increasing the amount of land whilst working on house prices lowers everything. Especially when talking about things like planning permission for tiny house movement which developers couldn't touch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom