• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: Poll: Will you be buying a 2080Ti/2080/2070?

Which card will you be buying?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
No, at least not anytime soon. My 1080 serves me well and I think in day to day use I'd benefit more (especially when working from home) by replacing my 4th gen i5. Though once ITX size cards come out I will be tempted to do full upgrade and downsize my case.

Interested to see benches as I think this might be a bit of a side step to new technology rather than an outright performance jump.

I will get 2060 once they're out for my 2nd PC to replace 1060 3gb in there.

Soldato
No

Because nothing tech wise even uses a GTX1080 or 1070. They are just being used to brute force @ 4K lazy coding. Most current PC games are multi platform titles few offer anything more except higher resolution & slightly higher res textures. For the price you could buy an X1X & PS4 and still have change! Not sure who Nvidia think the market for these cards are when no games are going to utilise them fully for several years to come.

Soldato
And the kicker is with the RTX being stupid money, the GTX 1000 will hold its prices more or less where they are, and the 2nd hand market isn't going to change much either.

Maybe I should've pulled the trigger on that 1 year old 1070 for £280 after all...

Associate
No way. I can upgrade my CPU, Mobo, and RAM for that and still have change. Maybe in a few months if prices drop to a reasonable level, but north of a grand for a single component that'll be superceded in a year is too much.

Soldato
dependant on the benchmarks of the rx 2070, that could be a decent deal. The issue with all these cards is the very very unknown performance.

we dont know the new cards vs the old in non RTX games
we don't know the real-time game relavance of RTX performance 2070 vs 2080 vs 2080ti on framerates

its just all a bit of a mess and I can only imagine NVIDIA have done this because the cards are supbar.

Soldato
What's wrong with you people? 10 years in the making is this. It's good ****. :D
Not answered poll. I think the FE cards look great (again) and see even less of a reason to buy non-ref cards now. I was planning to possibly pick one up but as I don't see me needing RT for a long while , if the underlying performance is not a big step up(ie, current games) I think I'm more likely to skip them for now. Might still buy later but wont rule out waiting for next gen.
I've had a Pascal Titan X and currently using only a 1070 Ti but I'm finding with a g-sync monitor and 1440P the performance of this is great. I'm not a heavy gamer and have just allowed GF Experience to suggest the best settings.
Might change my mind tho, we'll see. I think if I kept the Titan X Pascal that I had I'd be even less bothered about these cards. I like the RT stuff tho, just don't think I'm going to need it for a while.
Lets see what the perf stats show. Not even looked at the specs closely yet to see for example where a 2080 Ti might sit with the 1080Ti/ Titan X in current games

Last edited:
Soldato
Predicting a share price drop tomorrow
Don't say that, I'm a shareholder :D.
I think many will change their mind to be honest. It's a bit of a gamble in some ways but I think if it does damage them a bit now it may pay off longer term. RT needs to take off big time with the developers

Soldato
The way things are going my current geforce 980 based rig is the last gaming pc I'm ever going to buy.

I'm going to switch to a lightweight laptop for my next PC and get a Playstation 5 with a nice 50-60" 4k TV in another year or two. I'll probably be able to buy a PS5 and 4k TV for less than the cost of a decent video card by then the way things are going!

This Ray tracing stuff must be some seriously special sauce if they think they can charge those prices. Either that or the cards are super optimised for mining cryptocurrency and they think the market is set to skyrocket?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom