• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: Poll: Will you be ditching Ryzen 2 for Ryzen 3

Will you be ditching Ryzen 2 for Ryzen 3?

• 1. Yes but will be keeping my current motherboard

Votes: 67 17.8%
  • 2. No I’m sticking with Ryzen 2

Votes: 25 6.6%
  • 3. I’ll be upgrading both my Gen1/Gen 2 Ryzen chip and motherboard to Ryzen 3 and X570

Votes: 36 9.6%
  • 4. I’ll be upgrading my intel platform to Ryzen 3

Votes: 108 28.7%
  • 5. I'm waiting for real reviews before I decide?

Votes: 140 37.2%

• Total voters
Soldato
Guess there is no real info as to whether it would be worthwhile jumping from my x470 Crosshair VII to the new x570 boards yet? CH7 has been solid for me so suspect i'll stay put unless X570 has something special to warrant the jump.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
Potentially swapping my 1600x, with a 3600x, was hoping this meant an extra 2 cores by now but alas it doesn't, so it will depend on a coupe of things;

How much performance increase there will be from the 1600x, and how well the 3600x will work in my existing X370 Taichi board.

I'm not forking out for another board, especially at the rumoured X570 prices. Paying over £200 for the X370 was the most I've ever spent on a board, and I only spent that much in the first place because it was promised by AMD that the socket would have longevity and support for their newer CPU's up until at least 2020.

Associate
Currently using an ASUS Prime A320k board with a 2400g and not sure yet if it will be compatible with the new cpu,s.. if not i might just pick up a higher spec second hand Ryzen 2 at a cheap price as im sure there will be a few on the members market :)

Caporegime
OP
Currently using an ASUS Prime A320k board with a 2400g and not sure yet if it will be compatible with the new cpu,s.. if not i might just pick up a higher spec second hand Ryzen 2 at a cheap price as im sure there will be a few on the members market :)

Yeah you're out of luck mate. 3xxx series wont work with your mobo :)

Associate
Decided to change the vote and move over to X570 aswell as just the CPU. the thought of not utilizing some features properly ( which i essentially have half paid for at this point ) will niggle me , instead of blowing 600 quid on a board ill see if can get a cheaper pcie 4.0 nvme drive and a 2-300 quid board. Do i live under the assumption wrongly that if i put a 3000 series chip in an x470 platform XFR isnt likely to work as intended on X570 ?

Caporegime
As I've said before, it's been ages since I treated myself to some new hardware, so why not? :)
Sure I get that, but what does the $600 motherboard give you?

I mean if MSI had a $1200 motherboard, surely it would have to offer something fantastic to warrant that money?

I'm not saying you should/shouldn't spend your own money, I'm just asking what justifies the $600 price tag on these boards?

Associate
I am currently rocking a 3470k, 7970 and 8gb ram.

Also still on a 120gb mechanical WD Raptor drive as my boot drive. All inside of my Cooler master stacker case STC-T01 which i believe released in around 2003 served me well for around 18 years 0_o

Plan is to get the best Ryzen 3 in terms of overclock ability, 500gb NVME drive, 16gb ram, mid range mobo for around £150-£200, new PSU around 850w, new mid range case for around £100-£150 and then wait for next gen graphics cards and go for around £300-£350 range mark. Should be able to play most games for the next 3-4 years reasonably well.

I imagine the difference is going to be incredible! Current rig really struggles to do 4k video playback and streaming on plex so that's my main reason for the upgrade

Soldato
Only just bought a 2600X in March along with motherboard so no, I'll wait for the refresh at least which will be 12 months from now.

GPU I might change though, bought a Vega 56 in March but I could be tempted to change it for the right price/performance if Navi can deliver

Soldato
I voted as I'll wait for real reviews.

I'm happy with my 2700x and as good at the 3000 series are predicted to be, I don't see them offering massive gains over my 2700x. My sensible side says wait for the 4000 series as it is potentially the last on the AM4 socket. Drop a 4700x (or whatever it will be called) and I'd have a PC to last me years. However most of us on here are enthusiasts and who doesn't love new tech to play with so if the reviews are good enough I may be tempted.

Soldato
Sure I get that, but what does the $600 motherboard give you?

I mean if MSI had a $1200 motherboard, surely it would have to offer something fantastic to warrant that money?

I'm not saying you should/shouldn't spend your own money, I'm just asking what justifies the $600 price tag on these boards?
I've only ever bought one top tier board and that was the Asus extreme x99 socket, always gone for the middle tier board for practicality.

Feel like giving overclocking another run so makes sense to go for the best board.

Will wait for reviews though incase it doesn't turn out to be the best clocker. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom