Polo 9N AWY 'check engine' light on

Associate
My mate just got this as a first car aswell, no offence Acme but what a terrible car, he's owned it a month now, the bonnet cable came off so couldnt get the bonnet open, the catalytic converter cracked and started leaking and brought the engine light up, had to get a replacement cat, got that replaced, turns out it ruined the lambda sensor so that needed to be replaced aswell, two days later the red oil light kept flashing even though there was nothing wrong, replacing the sensor fixed that aswell and now his engine management light has come on again "Catalyic converter below efficiency" so the new cat he just had fitted is useless. Oh and the car not having central locking is a pain aswell!

He's already looking to get rid and change cars:p

Caporegime
OP
As with any cars there are good examples and bad examples. I think the problem with older Polo's is that they were typically owned by old women who don't maintain them or teenagers who abuse them. I'm not going to deny that they do seem to be very finnicky, fragile and temperamental in many ways though, and if you have one like mine with no options, there is very little going for it. They are now of the age where people stop taking care of them properly as well. My car is worth so little now that I have stuck the snapped under tray on with tape, I stuck the plastic quarter panel trim on with velcro, I repaired the starter motor wire with a spade connector and a cable tie, I repaired the ripped lambda wire with tape, need I go on? :p

They do *feel* like they are built better than most other "equivelant" superminis of the same era, they feel solid at speed (but loud if you don't have the soundproofing), they are very safe, and relatively bulletproof in terms of physical strength.

But when you have an example like mine, it is slow, it is loud, it makes for a very detached driving experience, the suspension is worn out, the brakes aren't very good, the wheels are incredibly narrow, there are no electronic assists, no central locking, no electric windows, no rear speakers, seats which don't grip you, a completely useless fuel gauge, and so on.

I like how they look though. That's what counts right? RIGHT?! The engine makes a fun noise when you buzz it too. :p

In hindsight, I wish I had spent a bit more on a facelift Fiesta 1.25 or at least an Ibiza 70PS (essentially the same car as the Polo but you can get newer better specced ones for the same money. The 70PS engine is a later 12V variant as well.)

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
At this point I suspect the only reason people are checking back on the thread is because they are hoping for a story of total and catastrophic engine failure of the most hilarious kind, complete with pictures.

Caporegime
OP
You bang on about not having electronic assists....they really aren't all that. :p

Its just another thing that was in higher spec Polo's that mine doesn't have (and basically any half decent car has). I don't really think they are necessary in a 55HP Polo to be honest. :p

Though because I've never had them, I don't really know if and when they would do anything useful.

Last edited:
Soldato
In context....Acme drives a 55bhp Polo not a 600bhp GTR. :rolleyes:

True it most likely wouldn't have saved him in that instance, but you don't need a 600bhp GTR to rely on electronics... as proved by my experience with my BMW.

Now if he had a Subaru... he would have steered around the corner happily ;) TC light has only blinked once on me

Caporegime
OP
That he managed to lose on a bend... maybe the assists could have been 'all that' for him :p

Well, the wheels did lock up and I did skate off of the road in a straight line, so they might have helped. But I wouldn't be surprised if they didnt. :p

People have commented on how my driving has "calmed down" following that event. :rolleyes:

Soldato
Meh, we've all been in that situation when young. Don't listen to the self righteous ones. :D

Personally I think it's BETTER not to have any driving aids when young, you learn how to control a car properly.

Of course you may be "thankful" of the technology later in life when someone pulls out in front of you and you have your missus and kids in the car but at least you can appreciate then, that it wasn't all "dem skills" allowing you to avoid Derpina McBlind and save the day..

Back
Top Bottom