Poppy burners laugh at £50 fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love the sentiment Mark, but if people do get fined for burning poppies or whatever, then we do not have the freedom to do it without consequence.

Sure, but we have the relative freedom to do it. The punishment for littering or whatever this act was charged under is relative to the magnitude of the offence. I'm happy the law can't stoop to reach the expectations of inflammatory reactionaries!

I honestly do not understand that statement, so you would want people to be punished more for such a thing? Surely the great thing about our culture is that we aren't unduly punished for things just because others find them offensive? The punishment seems fairly apt IMO.

Yes, as a BNP supporting Muslim hater I can't wait for the introduction of sharia law.

Irony much?

Well if you fine people on benefits for crimes, inevitably they'll use those benefits to pay the fine...?
must have had our wires crossed chap, that was the point I was putting across.The idea of having to pay a penny towards it upsets me.

BNP style individuals. "Send em back" types. Someone in this thread said kill him. These people do themselves no favours, because their anger and general hate is only fueling these extremist views - and it's just a cycle.

How else can I explain it?

I think though really, if the offender in this case is so unhappy here maybe he should leave instead of straining Anglo Muslim relations and protect his home country?

I can't blame British people for getting angry about things such as this because it feels so personal and certainly everybody has a fuse some, just shorter than others, I think especially on the internet too!

Yes, as a BNP supporting Muslim hater I can't wait for the introduction of sharia law.

Irony much?

haha I think you know the point I was making :p

Just because you might face a more severe consequence in another culture that has a misguided sense of justice, that shouldn't affect what determines an apt punishment in our country.

A person who burns some poppies to provoke us is just the same as someone who draws Muhammed to provoke Muslims - one great big epic jerk. But that's about it.

A person who burns some poppies to provoke us is just the same as someone who draws Muhammed to provoke Muslims - one great big epic jerk. But that's about it.

That was generally my point :p

I explained it to asim already, I honestly thought it was obvious - I guess people I know are just used to my sense of humour :)

That was generally my point :p

I explained it to asim already, I honestly thought it was obvious - I guess people I know are just used to my sense of humour :)

Ah there we go then, I can always do with learning to read a bit better too :p

In some senses the £50 fine is more a statement. It shows a small degree of tolerance, restraint and shows how little we really care about their attempt for attention.

You lock him up, others with extremist sympathies will crawl out of the wood work. You might silence one but you might end up finding you have 10 more people willing to make a statement like burning a poppy.

In some senses the £50 fine is more a statement. It shows a small degree of tolerance, restraint and shows how little we really care about their attempt for attention.

You lock him up, others with extremist sympathies will crawl out of the wood work. You might silence one but you might end up finding you have 10 more people willing to make a statement like burning a poppy.

Totally agree.

Although if i was the judge i would have deducted the £50 from his benefits, so the tax payer doesn't pay for it.

I hope he dies slowly and in the most painful way possible.

Okay, lets flip this comment / situation.

You live in a predominantly muslim country. Post on some middle eastern equivelant of OcUK with the same outspoken views.. You're not religious but you're proud of your culture and it's religion.

Someone posts a thread about someone burning the Qur'an.

Would you call for this girl to be killed in the most painful way possible?

Last edited:
The problem lies with extremists, not religions.

The constant barrage of crossovers is saddening and tars many innocent parties with a hatefully stereotyped brush. :(

You live in a predominantly muslim country. Post on some middle eastern equivelant of OcUK with the same outspoken views.. You're not religious but you're proud of your culture and it's religion.

Burning a symbol of freedom is hardly proving a point. The guy is nothing more than a hypocrite.

My point was a cynical one aimed at belittling Sharia law.

15 year old teenage girl vs 26 year old father of two.

He should know better.

No, religion is the problem!

Would you care to expand upon your comment?

Let us take the 'article' in question - does the problem lie with Islam as a religion (thus we also blame the majority of muslims) or the extremist individual (the miniscule minority) who undertakes ridiculous actions but states his connection with Islam?

Religion is the problem. People are always going to be crazy, but they aren't always going to religious. Religion allows people to believe they can be illogical with their actions in one way or another.

then the law needs to be changed. did my and your grandparents fight for this country to be insulted like this?

Yes, they did. They fought to protect our freedoms, freedoms which include doing things that other people might find offensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom