Porsche Owners Thread - If you own one or just like or hate them! :)

Soldato
@Lashout_UK - a rare beast! How did you get the opportunity to drive it?

It was a press event to celebrate the building of the millionth 911.

Put a lot of miles on a few others, too, including the millionth 911 itself.

O1IgcMS.jpg

2ox2rUS.jpg

Q68MXOm.jpg

GvCdrXM.jpg

3r4bq7Z.jpg

Hq7agoD.jpg

8d5t7Qd.jpg

7Pr03u6.jpg

qOGwWbd.jpg

The early CS and the 996 GT3 were among my favourites. 997 GT3 RS was very cool, but just a little too quick and competent to safely and easily enjoy on the road. Remarkably tail-happy and controllable car, though - all feels very natural. 996 was a bit more mobile and you could rev it out without immediately shattering the limits.

Props to Porsche for putting the whole event together. No mean feat assembling this many cars. Few other highlights:

k0z1Moa.jpg

DswuyCO.jpg

X2VcZJ2.jpg

RYruZos.jpg

K6udPhu.jpg

:)

Soldato
What an event! Amazing that you got to drive a few of the cars. The millionth 911 is really growing on me.

Yea, very fortunate to be in such a position (although, on the flipside, it is my job!). I wasn't sold on the millionth initially - seemed a bit 'run of the mill'. Then I realised that this was exactly Porsche's point - it was just 'another' 911, one you could go out and spec up today (for all intents and purposes).

Few more snaps of it, including the obligatory 'am driving' shot.

aeO62zR.jpg

ClONa99.jpg

SuuyI29.jpg

eeIXnkM.jpg

q4qRyKm.jpg

me6IIsz.jpg

49vu765.jpg

5wShHzg.jpg

RVBzD7M.jpg

fMBhQsR.jpg

s0E1d1A.jpg

P6xNCMe.jpg

Chooser of poor weather meets
Soldato
I've got to say it, the 1 millionth 911 really is ugly. The green is horrible. The wheels look like the ones you could get on the B7 A6 that were originally two-tone but because they curbed them they just had them resprayed flat silver so they lost any "pop" they once had. The low spec (and downright weird) interior makes it look like it's been spec'd up by one of those odd people who would remove electric windows if they could because "it's one less thing to break". The silver mirrors and door handles make it look like a completely base spec model, yet for some reason it has the sports design mirrors?

Nice to see they've sprung for the £250 to have the key painted in the same shade of algae as the exterior though.

OcUK Staff
OP
Though that millionth 911 is not a spec I would choose I can see why Porsche did, oh my does it stand out like a sore thumb, exactly the goal you want when marketing/PR is the primary goal. Porsche really know their market and HOW to market. :)

I loved my time at their test circuit in Germany and just being handed the keys to all the latest gen cars to thrash the living daylights out of, can't beat perks of the job. :D

Soldato
I think my time for Porsche ownership has come to an end. Sad but i have other things to do that need the money as I'm going to university. Cat C 1999 C2 tiptronic cabriolet 996 in Arctic silver.

Last edited by a moderator:
Caporegime
8kg a wheel total then. Guess I expected less as the Koenigsegg wheels are 5kg and superleggeras on my rover turbo were 7.5kg (smaller obviously)

Associate
Hi Guys. Purchased a 2006 Cayman S a month ago and have been driving similar to driving my Mitsubishi L200 pick up around town i.e cruising around in 4th gear at 30 mph etc with very low revs and have now started reading reports that I should be driving around at these speeds with a more spirited attitude with 2nd and 3rd gears being the preferred cruising gear at these speeds as lower RPM's can actually be more damaging to the car. Is this the case? :confused:

Soldato
It's all a balance really. The main problem (or one theory) is that the automatic gearbox pulls away in second gear and causes bore scoring (high load, low rpm). If you're causing the engine to judder at low speed around town or when pulling away from a junction in theory it could cause a similar issue. However pottering around town isn't really all that stressful or taxing if you've warmed up the engine and are avoiding multiple short journeys.

Avoid short journeys where possible and warm up the engine before revving it past 3000 rpm. No guarantee that this will keep everything safe but it's good practice.

Man of Honour
Also....6 GT3 will be the one worth the money in years to come....sadly :(

Visceral but needs effort and with 360-380bhp not silly

Back
Top Bottom