Porsche Owners Thread - If you own one or just like or hate them! :)

RSR

RSR

Soldato
I am liking that setup, I think without the strips and decals would look better personally.

That's a bloody rocket ship.

Man of Honour
What's the crowd view of the GT3 RS Weissach pack?

I really think the carbon bonnet and other black external addititons look daft on the green and blue cars, but could fit in on say a black or white one.

Asking for a friend....

Caporegime
I'm having a crap month with mine here...both window controllers died, climate control panel display, air con compressor, washer hose and I'm suspicious that it has a coolant leak although Porsche have told me that apparently the losses I've had are normal.

Soldato
So. I have a new job and I work 4pm to 2 am 6 days a week.

It’s 50 miles each way. Half on A roads and half on B roads.

All my cars are low mileage cars and I’m putting crazy miles on them so I’m thinking it may make sense to by a cayman / 991.1 or 997.2 with 70k plus already on the clock and use that as putting another 30k per year in a car that already has moon miles is not going to hurt the value too much if I buy cheap in the first place.

Good or crazy idea?

Soldato
Value will tank again at 100k. 911’s are so sensitive to mileage that this is a silly idea if you’re worried about residuals.

If you want to have another 911, and to get it cheap, go for one with >100k which has done exactly the journeys that you describe and has a good service file.

What does the Porsche warranty cover up to in terms of mileage?

This sort of journey is begging for a 5 series or equivalent isn’t it? Even with the B roads.

Where are you working now out of interest?

Soldato
So. I have a new job and I work 4pm to 2 am 6 days a week.

It’s 50 miles each way. Half on A roads and half on B roads.

All my cars are low mileage cars and I’m putting crazy miles on them so I’m thinking it may make sense to by a cayman / 991.1 or 997.2 with 70k plus already on the clock and use that as putting another 30k per year in a car that already has moon miles is not going to hurt the value too much if I buy cheap in the first place.

Good or crazy idea?
At least coming back on the commute you will able to enjoy the car a bit:D.

Man of Honour
Just caught up on this thread and some of these new cars are looking lovely. Also @mikeh501 those wheels look spot on :)

My car has been sitting on the driveway for pretty much a year now and the garage is so almost clear of the epic amounts of crap that was in there so it won't be long before the car is out of sight for a bit. I wont lie it was looking properly grim for a while and there was some mould growing out of it a few months back where the thing is just sitting and clearly moisture is getting in the cabin and just destroying it. I took action and went to town cleaning it a few days back and aired the thing out and cleaned it up but really there hasn't been any motivation to fix it, the battery is dead, engine is dead, I tried to move it but one of the brakes is seized on and it's just a good looking paper weight right now. Even worse ive still been paying tax right up until I declared it sorn a few days ago.

I don't think ill ever give up on it but it's really difficult to get motivated to do anything to it or even spend any money on it when i've bought the Audi as it's temporary replacement and have been spending more money around the property doing things like putting up new fences etc but the repair fund is slowly building up and hopefully next year ill be able to send the engine away. This is the state of play right now, a beautiful (imo) car in a very sorry state.

Soldato
Value will tank again at 100k. 911’s are so sensitive to mileage that this is a silly idea if you’re worried about residuals.

If you want to have another 911, and to get it cheap, go for one with >100k which has done exactly the journeys that you describe and has a good service file.

What does the Porsche warranty cover up to in terms of mileage?

This sort of journey is begging for a 5 series or equivalent isn’t it? Even with the B roads.

Where are you working now out of interest?

Ipswich and broomfield ED sadly I live 10 min from WSH but I can’t work there.

Porsche warranty goes upto 125k miles.

I know a 5 series makes sense but I would not really enjoy it. I just don’t like big cars. I’m doing the trip in a cayenne now.

Soldato
Just caught up on this thread and some of these new cars are looking lovely. Also @mikeh501 those wheels look spot on :)

My car has been sitting on the driveway for pretty much a year now and the garage is so almost clear of the epic amounts of crap that was in there so it won't be long before the car is out of sight for a bit. I wont lie it was looking properly grim for a while and there was some mould growing out of it a few months back where the thing is just sitting and clearly moisture is getting in the cabin and just destroying it. I took action and went to town cleaning it a few days back and aired the thing out and cleaned it up but really there hasn't been any motivation to fix it, the battery is dead, engine is dead, I tried to move it but one of the brakes is seized on and it's just a good looking paper weight right now. Even worse ive still been paying tax right up until I declared it sorn a few days ago.

I don't think ill ever give up on it but it's really difficult to get motivated to do anything to it or even spend any money on it when i've bought the Audi as it's temporary replacement and have been spending more money around the property doing things like putting up new fences etc but the repair fund is slowly building up and hopefully next year ill be able to send the engine away. This is the state of play right now, a beautiful (imo) car in a very sorry state.

If you're sending it to hartech, i'm sure they could mod it to 3.8, or even a 4.0:D.

Soldato
What's the crowd view of the GT3 RS Weissach pack?

I really think the carbon bonnet and other black external addititons look daft on the green and blue cars, but could fit in on say a black or white one.

Asking for a friend....
I suspect that Pistonheads will be the best place to ask as I think you're the only GT3 RS owner on here!

I think the carbon looks brilliant on the darker cars as you say but given what colour your current car is it would be a shame to go dark :)

Would your friend ;) consider a GT3 Touring ir are you committed to the RS?

Man of Honour
If you're sending it to hartech, i'm sure they could mod it to 3.8, or even a 4.0:D.

It will be Hartech but I was thinking of going with some sort of closed deck solution and perhaps some extra power by way of turbo or some other crazy stuff. It's kind of all in the air as i'm just stacking up pound notes right now. There are plenty of options though :)

Soldato
Ipswich and broomfield ED sadly I live 10 min from WSH but I can’t work there.

Porsche warranty goes upto 125k miles.

I know a 5 series makes sense but I would not really enjoy it. I just don’t like big cars. I’m doing the trip in a cayenne now.

Hope you’re enjoying the new job and location. I’m still not particularly happy parking my 911 in the hospital car park...

A cayman might be a good shout, although that’s probably got the potential to lose the most value as a percentage of original purchase price. At the end of the day, if you want a 911 to commute in and are in a position to do so, then I can’t think of many better cars! 997.2’s seem to be depreciating a bit, and high milers can be had for very sensible money.

Man of Honour
I suspect that Pistonheads will be the best place to ask as I think you're the only GT3 RS owner on here!

I think the carbon looks brilliant on the darker cars as you say but given what colour your current car is it would be a shame to go dark :)

Would your friend ;) consider a GT3 Touring ir are you committed to the RS?
Strange place Pistonheads. Lots of in-fighting and arguments. I don't visit the car sections much. OcUK is much more interesting! The superyacht thread on PH is fun tho. One day...

I'm tempted by an all black one, but I think bright colours are the way forward for these things, they're not supposed to be subtle and they don't quite have the presence of an all-black Aventador!

I just think that OTT exterior carbon is a bit naff....

Don't see the point of the touring for me personally, I've got a sensible car for everyday driving. RS is purely a track / weekend / fun toy, every journey is unnecessarily loud and fun :D

Soldato
Does anyone see merit in changing the oil every year, rather than every two years as part of the servicing schedule? 2014 Cayman S with an annual mileage of around 4-6k

Haven't had to make the decision on mine (2011 Cayman S, so the same engine I believe) as it's been in to fix a couple of major oil leaks under warranty in between services :eek:. 5-6k p.a. here too, don't think I would bother though.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
Does anyone see merit in changing the oil every year, rather than every two years as part of the servicing schedule? 2014 Cayman S with an annual mileage of around 4-6k

No. It seems pointless with modern oils and I am sure Porsche would say otherwise, if they thought differently.

I do around that level of milage most years in mine and I just keep to the normal 2Y / 20K cycle.

Man of Honour
I have always advocated an oil change every year and always have, especially if you do track miles as part of your year. Oil coming out of a car after 2 years or 20K miles looks terrible. Now I know my eyes are not scientific, but for me it's the lifeblood of the engine and should be changed each year on cars like this.

Back
Top Bottom