Porsche Owners Thread - If you own one or just like or hate them! :)

Permabanned
570 is a league above 911... difference is night and day. Stepping out of sports car into Supercar.

911 Turbo S would be closer to 570, but even that doesn’t beat it. Far far behind in handling dynamics.

Prices for 570 are very good at the moment.

991.2 / 992 engine is soulless.

Soldato

Sad, but how much will this deter 85% of the buyers that stump up for new Porsches? Not much I reckon.

Doesn't appear to bother the majority re the 4pot 718. As soon as I drove it I couldn't get out of the car quick enough. I think the salesman thought there was something wrong with me.

Having sat in a 992, I really don't think much of the dash or the interior in general. Rather put me off. If the engine isn't all that either, then I've a horrible feeling the 911s that I would ideally aspire to owning, are already becoming more expensive and will be harder to get hold of.

Associate
570 is a league above 911... difference is night and day. Stepping out of sports car into Supercar.

911 Turbo S would be closer to 570, but even that doesn’t beat it. Far far behind in handling dynamics.

Prices for 570 are very good at the moment.

Yea i have heard the 992 doesn't sound great. I also think that the 20/21" alloys make ceramics a must as the steel brakes looks very small in comparison to the alloys.

I was originally looking for the 992 GTS but how much is that going to be considering a spec'ed up C4S is £130k

Permabanned
Sad, but how much will this deter 85% of the buyers that stump up for new Porsches? Not much I reckon.

Doesn't appear to bother the majority re the 4pot 718. As soon as I drove it I couldn't get out of the car quick enough. I think the salesman thought there was something wrong with me.

Having sat in a 992, I really don't think much of the dash or the interior in general. Rather put me off. If the engine isn't all that either, then I've a horrible feeling the 911s that I would ideally aspire to owning, are already becoming more expensive and will be harder to get hold of.

I quite like the interior of the 992.

I have one being dropped off tomorrow. Got it for 8 days & will be putting over 1,000 miles on it as it's taking me to Snetterton, Spa & Nurburg.

I've only spent a little time with the new engine, but wasn't impressed... will be interesting to see how it is over longer distances... I'm sure the mid-range torque is good for longer range motorway trips... but that's not exactly where a 911 should be IMO.

I'm fancying a 992 Turbo S for a daily, otherwise I just get back in a 720S.

Don't get me started on the 718 engine... vile thing.

Yea i have heard the 992 doesn't sound great. I also think that the 20/21" alloys make ceramics a must as the steel brakes looks very small in comparison to the alloys.

I was originally looking for the 992 GTS but how much is that going to be considering a spec'ed up C4S is £130k

I'm not fussed about looks... but I would have ceramics for the sake of having ceramics... they're sooo much nicer to use over time than steels... no disk warp, no wobbles & Porsche ceramics are the best in the business... bite just as well as steels from cold. Only really noticeable when it's very very wet on longer motorway cruises.

It's not just about sound, but the feeling too... my favourite Porsche engine is the 987.2... it had a sparkle to it that was dialled out even in the 991.1.

I'd like to get a 997.2 GT3 RS 4.0 at some point in the future... that's where they peaked.

Soldato
I can’t help thinking that unless you’re desperate to have the newest possible 911, the smart money (if you’ve got that much burning a hole) is a 997 GT3. Not exactly cheap and won’t be factory fresh, but it would be a real event to drive every time. Perhaps even a 996! I’m sure the new cars are ridiculously quick and have many more features, but I’m just not sure that they appeal quite as much as a package compared to the slightly older water cooled machines.

Soldato
Never liked the 996... but the 997.2 is my sweet spot.

As you mentioned just as I was posting, I don’t think you can really top the 997.2 4.0 GT3. I’m sure the 992 GT3 will be faster, but there’s just something about that engine. I’m not sure I’d necessarily go for a gen 2 over a gen 1 car in normal GT3 guise though.

Permabanned
As you mentioned just as I was posting, I don’t think you can really top the 997.2 4.0 GT3. I’m sure the 992 GT3 will be faster, but there’s just something about that engine. I’m not sure I’d necessarily go for a gen 2 over a gen 1 car in normal GT3 guise though.

Depends on your use... gen 2 is a noticeable step up in interior quality, for me.

And yes, I'm not interested in the 992 GT3... having owned a 991.2 GT3, it was great and brilliant thing... just not what I was after and the engine was missing some character over the older engines.

Man of Honour
My 992 arrives in a couple weeks. Cue my wife shouting "but you don't use the other one!" :D

997 GT3 is on my list, a friend has a gorgeous black one so I'm waiting for him to go broke and need to sell it cheap.

The RS 4.0 has suffered from "crazy Porsche appreciation"....

Soldato
Depends on your use... gen 2 is a noticeable step up in interior quality, for me.

And yes, I'm not interested in the 992 GT3... having owned a 991.2 GT3, it was great and brilliant thing... just not what I was after and the engine was missing some character over the older engines.

Nothing a new steering wheel and ditching the useless PCM wouldn’t sort. If interior comfort was a priority the GT3 might not be the ideal choice anyway. Bloody Porsche tax, I wish I could have got into a GT3 before prices went mental.

Associate
What options does it have on?

Rear wheel steer?
Obviously sports exhaust due to the oval exits or can this be achieved via another option?
Ceramics or steel brakes? Can we get a side on shot.

Associate
We had the new 992 for 3 hours a few weekends back.

Our thoughts were:

• Very well put together on the inside
  • Excellent handling, turn in was very sharp
  • Quite bumpy in sport mode on all but the smoothest roads
  • Ballistically fast... Pulls hard all the way to the limiter although your sure to run oit of space beforehand
  • Lack of noise - no pops or bangs compated to 991.2
  • Would make an excellent daily but not special enough for a weekend car.
LZYC2zj_d.jpg

It was quite loaded in spec 18 way seats, carbon roof, RWS, PASM, full leather, chrono.

I would be waiting for the GTS variant as they hold values well and come with the right bits on.

Back
Top Bottom