Porsche Owners Thread - If you own one or just like or hate them! :)

Soldato
Same. Hate brands and companies that operate in this manner.

Aye, just a bit sad really and makes them viable for the rich or stupid/rich.

Happy with the older models, I like hydraulic power steering too much :D

I gave up on Porsche a while back. Pointless charade.

Now you have a sexy purring Merc! Could be worse ;)

I would still love an M12 GTO3, but even those have shot up in value and become hard to find.

Soldato
So the 'crypto' 911 got picked up at the weekend after being sold a couple of weeks ago. Would definitely have another, just needed a little more power and better infotainment IMO.

Emira next up. Unsure if I'll get something in-between or not, but on autotrader every night anyway, because, cars.

Man of Honour
I would still love an M12 GTO3, but even those have shot up in value and become hard to find.
Getting old and tired now. One of my neighbours had an M400 and I remember I came close to buying one but needs proper TVR level commitment. They are not built to a high standard and lots of bits needed work.

Soldato
Last edited:
OcUK Staff
OP
Does anyone know the inspection & warranty start/renewal costs for a 718 Cayman GTS? The 2.5T not the new 4.0. I know I know Porsche should be a Flat 6 but they seem to offer a lot of bang for buck atm, and tuneable.

EDIT: https://www.porsche.com/uk/accessoriesandservice/porscheservice/vehicleinformation/approvedwarranty/
Pretty reasonable actually, need to try one.

Driven the 2.5T on track, hugely capable, surprisingly laggy but if you can look past the engine downfall its a remarkable weapon, but for me the engine is a major let down no matter how much horsepower it tunes too. But saying that the whole 718 is a let down even the 4.0l cars, they are very quiet. Handling perfection though!

981 GTS is the one to buy, just be weary of the Porsche bubble but residuals no matter on a 981 GTS or GT4 will be strong, if you can stretch to it buy a 981 GT4 for circa 65k, as a decent 981 GTS will be 50-55k so I'd always suggest the extra 10-15k worth it for big wing alone. ;)

Still as a road car the 987/997 are a far more enjoyable experience on the road, huge fun, better gearing, hydraulic steering and very reliable and solid residuals. Cayman R would be my pick with a manual, you won't find a more enjoyable Porsche for the road and they are very capable on track. Otherwise 997.2 GTS is potentially the best road car Porsche ever made! Solid prices because solid cars!

Soldato
Driven the 2.5T on track, hugely capable, surprisingly laggy but if you can look past the engine downfall its a remarkable weapon, but for me the engine is a major let down no matter how much horsepower it tunes too. But saying that the whole 718 is a let down even the 4.0l cars, they are very quiet. Handling perfection though!

981 GTS is the one to buy, just be weary of the Porsche bubble but residuals no matter on a 981 GTS or GT4 will be strong, if you can stretch to it buy a 981 GT4 for circa 65k, as a decent 981 GTS will be 50-55k so I'd always suggest the extra 10-15k worth it for big wing alone. ;)

Still as a road car the 987/997 are a far more enjoyable experience on the road, huge fun, better gearing, hydraulic steering and very reliable and solid residuals. Cayman R would be my pick with a manual, you won't find a more enjoyable Porsche for the road and they are very capable on track. Otherwise 997.2 GTS is potentially the best road car Porsche ever made! Solid prices because solid cars!

I tried a 981 GTS before I bought the 4C, really liked it but just not potent enough IMO. Does look nicer than the 718 though! GT4 I would love but only PDK so way out of budget, not paying overs. 991.1 GTS is definitely an option, personally I never liked the 997 looks wise I'd rather a 996!

I want something I can reliably track 3-5 times a year but not get tinnitus and a bad back getting to / from the circuit, that's preferably a bit quicker than the 4C and not manual. Not a very long list :p. Remapped 718 2.5T GTS looks a good box ticker but I appreciate it does lack the soul of an N/A 6.

OcUK Staff
OP
I tried a 981 GTS before I bought the 4C, really liked it but just not potent enough IMO. Does look nicer than the 718 though! GT4 I would love but only PDK so way out of budget, not paying overs. 991.1 GTS is definitely an option, personally I never liked the 997 looks wise I'd rather a 996!

I want something I can reliably track 3-5 times a year but not get tinnitus and a bad back getting to / from the circuit, that's preferably a bit quicker than the 4C and not manual. Not a very long list :p. Remapped 718 2.5T GTS looks a good box ticker but I appreciate it does lack the soul of an N/A 6.

Why not look for a bargain 570S ?
Its quiet, automatic, crazy fast and can be had for 80-90k, looks good, supercar.

Or a 540C or 570GT has the benefits of steel brakes so much lower running cost on consumables with the track days, tuning potential is also beyond the moon.

Man of Honour
I think a 2.5GTS would still be a step up from a 4C, which for me, outside of its magnificent looks, was a missed opportunity.

Significantly more rapid on track I think/imagine and more dynamic. Better road car too. Go drive a few, you are coming from a 4 cylinder so the noise is less of an issue and the torque on the 2.5 is strong.

Man of Honour
R8 V10 Plus Mk1 for 60k would be a massive step up in performance. Work well on track and proper supercar performance. Engine is a masterpiece and brakes can take a hammering, fluid less so.

OcUK Staff
OP
R8 V10 Plus Mk1 for 60k would be a massive step up in performance. Work well on track and proper supercar performance. Engine is a masterpiece and brakes can take a hammering, fluid less so.

A great suggestion that, Huracan performance for half the money and half the running cost!

Soldato
Why not look for a bargain 570S ?
Its quiet, automatic, crazy fast and can be had for 80-90k, looks good, supercar.

Or a 540C or 570GT has the benefits of steel brakes so much lower running cost on consumables with the track days, tuning potential is also beyond the moon.
Yes I test drove a 570s couple weekends ago, absolutely at the top of my list BUT really struggling to get track insurance cover. All the brokers that do a combined road & track policy want it to be garaged which is sadly impossible right now.

Mmmmm maybe, I did fancy a Gen 2 more until recently where prices have skyrocketed to the point where personally I'd prefer a McLaren. Maybe I need to drive one. Do they really last on track? Never seen one at a day that's all, Porsche Lotus McLaren seem to be the choices.

OcUK Staff
OP
Yes I test drove a 570s couple weekends ago, absolutely at the top of my list BUT really struggling to get track insurance cover. All the brokers that do a combined road & track policy want it to be garaged which is sadly impossible right now.

Mmmmm maybe, I did fancy a Gen 2 more until recently where prices have skyrocketed to the point where personally I'd prefer a McLaren. Maybe I need to drive one. Do they really last on track? Never seen one at a day that's all, Porsche Lotus McLaren seem to be the choices.

V8 R8 are very robust on track, know a few guys who tracked those, mainly because of steel brakes, not sure if V10 can come with steels, something for you to check...

Tried ManningUK, they insure the 458, Exige and Spyder, all have track cover and all three come in at under £2000, they never stipulated a garage was needed, just the 458 had to have a tracker due to the insured value been over 100k on that car.

Also what about Honda NSX? Also very fast and you can pick them up for 90-110k, making them great value, they have shot up as they were 80-90k several months ago but as with all things put offers in against cars, never pay asking unless its perfect and seller won't budge and you gotta have it.

Also the other odd one, F80 M3 CS, think still a couple available around 60k, quite capable track cars, though maybe not special enough in this company.

Also join the various FB supercar selling groups, always some great buys if you can get in before a dealer buys them just to relist with a few grand thrown on.

Soldato
V8 R8 are very robust on track, know a few guys who tracked those, mainly because of steel brakes, not sure if V10 can come with steels, something for you to check...

Tried ManningUK, they insure the 458, Exige and Spyder, all have track cover and all three come in at under £2000, they never stipulated a garage was needed, just the 458 had to have a tracker due to the insured value been over 100k on that car.

Wow that's a great price. They said to me that they're really struggling to do combined policies at the moment because of several big payouts this year, but that something 'should' be doable in the new year. Guess they have new brokers coming on board or some terms are expiring behind the scenes....

I'm also a bit worried about the whole lithium battery thing with the Mac, can't get a trickle to it 24/7. My current thoughts are basically if it looks like a garage is on the horizon (lol housing market) then I'll hold off until I can get a Mac, if I get to spring time with no luck then I fancy something in between like a Cayman/911/A110/Other.

Man of Honour
I did Ring, Silly and Dony in my R8 and it was good considering it’s weight. Miles quicker than friends in 4C’s included a tuned one. Running costs higher and I’d recommend track fluids but decent enough and tech saved me at Dony once too.

Associate
Might be biased but arent we all, but had this 991.1 GTS for 3.5 years now and still not sure what id replace it with outside a touring. The current market is nuts and its worth about the same maybe a little more now than when I bought it. Plenty of good ideas above but if you can get into one of these you wont regret it. Best sounding 911 outside a GT3 and their only getting worse in that respect, liveable tech (BT streaming) and a great sports car, daily or grand tourer. it literally does it all, and the flat six NA howl is amazing. Already planning next years trips with it.

Picture because why not.
wslaS22.jpg

OcUK Staff
OP
Took the Spyder to Donnington today and to put it simply it was absolutely awesome!

9397B4D6-BFC0-43CA-975A-4B156EA3078E.jpeg AE36E040-A2CA-46F1-BDDC-124DA6781ED9.jpeg 606717FF-C525-462F-A9C3-F1736D2DB5B8.jpeg 6027F07D-5FD4-47A3-A3A1-072C00A689D5.jpeg

Compared to my 911 the main difference is torque and the place that is noticed most is the uphill section after old hairpin, the Spyder is around 110mph whereas the 911 would be around 115-118mph in this part of track.

The rest of the circuit the Spyder was superb and I’d say it’s more fun in the corners and a lot more adjustable on the limits, much easier at the limit and fun, had a couple of big oversteer moments but recovered them both.

Was a great day, 11-12c, overcast and dry all day, not too busy either, no queuing in pit Lane and about 4 red flags the whole day and all recoveries were quick.

Absolute weapon of a car, PS4S are good for about 10-15 minutes before they seem to get squishy.

OcUK Staff
OP
Did the brakes last ok? Donnington has a great mix of sections, one of my favourites for sure.

Brakes were sensational, having huge ceramics will certainly help and then factor in the Spyder is the lightest modern Porsche ever made it’s stopping ability is so good I still never truly manage to build the courage to truly brake late but I was braking as late as a lot of dedicated track cars on slicks.

Does make me consider potentially tuning it as supposedly go from 320 to 350 horses, put some stickier track tyres on and more aggressive alignment.

Back
Top Bottom