Porsche Owners Thread - If you own one or just like or hate them! :)

OcUK Staff
OP
Wow showing my ignorance there, had no idea the 987 era had ceramics optional that’s pretty mega.

Its a very rare option but makes a vast difference as the regular steel on the Cayman / Boxster are a weak point for track work (fine for road) whereas the ceramics are somewhat overkill as the calipers and disc are much larger.

Id highly recommend you go try a Cayman R as people often think 330HP meh but they are hugely capable and if you don’t mind the silly roof the Spyder’s are as light as 1250kg, roof is a faff they especially if it was to be your only car.

Soldato
Took mine to local meet at the weekend, some nice motors there including a couple GT2 and GT3, forget which one but it had 21" wheels that looked like steam rollers with the brakes filling the wheel out, insane size brakes up close.

OcUK Staff
OP
Took mine to local meet at the weekend, some nice motors there including a couple GT2 and GT3, forget which one but it had 21" wheels that looked like steam rollers with the brakes filling the wheel out, insane size brakes up close.

Track cars need big brakes especially heavier stuff but well worth it on track, can’t beat having confidence in strong brakes.

Soldato
I took a pic of it, was a GT2 RS, interestingly it’s running 20” up front and 21” on the rear, opposite what we use to do on Supras to fit bigger brakes up front, a few wheel packages came like that, most memorable is the CCW’s.

Associate
Ex owner here... had a 2009 Cayenne GTS in South Africa. Had to dispose of it for the move over here. I do miss it, especially that exhaust note, but I certainly don't miss the fuel consumption and the bulk of the thing given some of the narrow roads on this island :D

Soldato
Looking on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche_911_GT2 I can confirm it was a 991.2 GT2 RS, the exact wheel and brake sizes are :-

• Rear brakes: 390 mm ventilated carbon ceramic discs with 4-piston monobloc aluminum fixed calipers
  • Front brakes: 410 mm ventilated carbon ceramic discs with 6-piston monobloc aluminum fixed calipers
  • Wheels and Tyres (front): 9.5J × 20 ET50, 265/35 ZR20
  • Wheels and Tyres (rear): 12.5J × 21 ET48, 325/30 ZR21

It is apparently also just shy of 700hp so a bit more than mine and likely the most powerful motor at the meet :D

OcUK Staff
OP
I took a pic of it, was a GT2 RS, interestingly it’s running 20” up front and 21” on the rear, opposite what we use to do on Supras to fit bigger brakes up front, a few wheel packages came like that, most memorable is the CCW’s.

Once your running 20" wheels will accomodate the largest of brakes typically. Also a lot of sport car brands fit a larger rear wheel, I suspect it helps turn in or its just for aesthetics but a few do it, Porsche, Lotus and its fair to say they are both masters of handling so am sure it has a handling benefit and is not purely aesthetics.

GT2 RS is a monster, GT3 RS is a scalpel, for me its the GT3 everytime simple for the 9000rpm and beautiful intoxicating noise they make.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Ex owner here... had a 2009 Cayenne GTS in South Africa. Had to dispose of it for the move over here. I do miss it, especially that exhaust note, but I certainly don't miss the fuel consumption and the bulk of the thing given some of the narrow roads on this island :D
Perhaps our media distorting every day reality but i think i would be scared to drive a car like that over there. Fascinating place and horrible to see what is slowly happening there. :(

Associate
Perhaps our media distorting every day reality but i think i would be scared to drive a car like that over there. Fascinating place and horrible to see what is slowly happening there. :(
No distortion - in fact you probably don't see half of it. Sad indeed what is happening, and hence us being here.

The Cayenne is probably less of a target though, as the market for them (and their parts) is pretty small relative to the more common cars - especially in the rest of subsaharan africa, which is where many of the stolen/hijacked cars end up. You can't insure a Toyota Fortuner there unless it has two separate tracking devices installed...

OcUK Staff
OP
Agreed on the GT2 RS being a monster, seems quite a bit bigger than the 996TT.

996/997 generation cars were the perfect size, easy to throw down a British B-road, unfortunately the 991 generation that came grew considerably in size, though they are a big step up in looks and interior they did get quite a bit bigger. GT2 RS looks big also because of the big wings and very wide stance from the aggressive offset wheels and tyres.

But for me the GT3 RS is the halo car:

I mean just listen to it. :D

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
No distortion - in fact you probably don't see half of it. Sad indeed what is happening, and hence us being here.

The Cayenne is probably less of a target though, as the market for them (and their parts) is pretty small relative to the more common cars - especially in the rest of subsaharan africa, which is where many of the stolen/hijacked cars end up. You can't insure a Toyota Fortuner there unless it has two separate tracking devices installed...

Madness - but very good (albeit sad that you had to, beautiful country) that you had the means to escape it. I often wonder if people there are really aware that we live here with almost zero regard to security or any real possibility of crime. :(

Back on topic - plentiful supply of Cayennes/Macans etc here when you want to get back into one! Beautiful cars to live with, i love mine :)

Associate
Madness - but very good (albeit sad that you had to, beautiful country) that you had the means to escape it. I often wonder if people there are really aware that we live here with almost zero regard to security or any real possibility of crime. :(

Back on topic - plentiful supply of Cayennes/Macans etc here when you want to get back into one! Beautiful cars to live with, i love mine :)
A macan is definitely on the wishlist... just need to financially recover from the move - it's not cheap relocating your entire life :D Cayenne is just too big for here imho.... though, I had a drive of my parents' '18 Cayenne GTS diesel platinum edition and was very much consumed by lust!

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
A macan is definitely on the wishlist... just need to financially recover from the move - it's not cheap relocating your entire life :D Cayenne is just too big for here imho.... though, I had a drive of my parents' '18 Cayenne GTS diesel platinum edition and was very much consumed by lust!
I guess the size of it depends entirely on where you live, the Cayenne is great where I am (rural so big drives and garages!). Your parents Cayenne sounds rather nice, hopefully the heat will come off the car market in time in time for your financial recovery(!), it’s totally mad at the moment.

Man of Honour
Anyone have any experience of the (non-Turbo) Panamera? 2015-17~ models. Perhaps even the diesel.

I'm not particularly planning on changing my car for the foreseeable but they look quite an interesting car, aside from the rear end, but it's OK.

Ticks a lot of boxes, fairly swift, quite practical, economical (if the diesel), good dynamics for the size and it's a bit different. They sound quite solid reliability wise, for long term.

I like the Cayenne too but I'm not really a big 4x4 fan generally.

Soldato
What's the deal with using none N rated tires, its something to do with the loading I think.

Reason for asking is there are Michelin PS Cup 2 Connect in my sizes but not N rated, where as the Michelin PS2 have N ratings, thinking the cups might be better on track.

Caporegime
What's the deal with using none N rated tires, its something to do with the loading I think.

Reason for asking is there are Michelin PS Cup 2 Connect in my sizes but not N rated, where as the Michelin PS2 have N ratings, thinking the cups might be better on track.

Nothing to do with loading, just means they are oem Porsche approved

What does N-Rated Tyres Mean?

If the tyres pass all the tests, Porsche gives the manufacturer the go-ahead to put the tyres into production and then they can proudly claim they are an N-rated Porsche OEM (Original Equipment Modifier) Tyres.

The N-ratings go from 0 (zero) to 4, marked as N-0, N-1 etc. This N-rating, stamped into a tyre sidewall, clearly identifies these tyres as having gone through all the nauseating R&D and testing required by Porsche as described above.

The number designates the revision of the design. So for a totally new design, the first approved version of it will be N-0. When the design is improved in some way, it will be re-rated as an N-1. If the design changes completely so as to become a totally new tyre, it will be re-rated at N-0.

If you’ve got a Porsche, then you ought to be aware that as well as using N-rated tyres, you ought to use matching tyres all around because many Porsches have different sizes tyres front and rear.

So for example if you have a Porsche with N-3 rated tyres and the rear ones need replacing but the model has been discontinued, you should not get N-0’s and put them on the back leaving the old N-3’s on the front. You should replace all of them with the newer-designed re-rated N-0 tyres.

One final point. You may go into a tyre warehouse and find two tyres with all identical markings, sizes and speed ratings, but one set has an N-rating. Despite everything else being the same, the non-N-rated tyres have not been certified for use on a Porsche. You can buy them, and you can put them on your car, but if you stuff it into the armco at 150mph, Porsche will just look at you and with a very teutonic expression ask why you didn’t use N- rated tyres

Back
Top Bottom