Porsche Owners Thread - If you own one or just like or hate them! :)

Soldato
Currently debating a Macan GTS or Cayman 718 GTS 4.0. Taking the wife for test drives in both next Monday. She's adamant the Macan is too big although I'm not convinced. It's only 10cm wider than her Audi A3.

What is the current thinking on pricing for these? Still an expectation prices are going to crater? I'd personally love a Cayman with the 4 litre NA flat 6. Feels like the last real opportunity to buy a proper ICE sports car. It would likely mean having a 2nd cheap car on the company electric lease scheme too tho.

Soldato
Currently debating a Macan GTS or Cayman 718 GTS 4.0. Taking the wife for test drives in both next Monday. She's adamant the Macan is too big although I'm not convinced. It's only 10cm wider than her Audi A3.

What is the current thinking on pricing for these? Still an expectation prices are going to crater? I'd personally love a Cayman with the 4 litre NA flat 6. Feels like the last real opportunity to buy a proper ICE sports car. It would likely mean having a 2nd cheap car on the company electric lease scheme too tho.

They are very different cars to drive, having driven both.

The Macan isn’t that big on the road, and it’ll be the best driving mini SUV you’ll drive. It rides well and is pretty sporty.

But the Cayman is a different beast. It’s a fire for the senses.

No one on here will be able to sell you either way.

IMO

Get a 981 Boxster + Macan V6

Both will come in close to a 718 GTS.

Soldato
I've been watching out for Cayman GTS/GTS 4.0 for a while now and prices have plummeted over the last 2 months. There's lots of cars on AT which have had upwards of £5k discounted, some up to even £10k. I'm not sure where the bottom is. I'd assume it'll coincide with the interest rate coming down.

Last edited:
Soldato

Danke, but I can’t take credit for being the owner - it’s my dads.

Recently purchased a 981 Boxster S for myself :)

New car for going to the shops in.

2016 981 Boxster S. 28K miles. GT Silver.

Pretty close to unicorn spec (sorry about acronyms):

PSE
PASM
PDLS
PDK
Bose
Sports Chrono
Extended leather
Sport seat plus (heated)
PCM with CarPlay retrofit
GTS rear lights
Climate control
Folding mirrors

It’s immensely anti social with PSE, and I bloody love it. 6 cylinders of normally aspirated filth.

Soldato
They are very different cars to drive, having driven both.

The Macan isn’t that big on the road, and it’ll be the best driving mini SUV you’ll drive. It rides well and is pretty sporty.

But the Cayman is a different beast. It’s a fire for the senses.

No one on here will be able to sell you either way.

IMO

Get a 981 Boxster + Macan V6

Both will come in close to a 718 GTS.
Thanks for this. :)

I'm convinced I'll fall in love with the Cayman. My missus is interested in that too, but I think purely because she wants a 'small' car and she's got it into her head that the Macan is massive and she'll hate it. I think if we're only going to have one car, the Macan is a no brainer. I'd love the Cayman but my wife isn't going to get anything out of an NA engine that revs to 7800.

However, if she's going to push for the Cayman, I couldn't care less what her motivation is I'll do it. :D

Soldato
Thanks for this. :)

I'm convinced I'll fall in love with the Cayman. My missus is interested in that too, but I think purely because she wants a 'small' car and she's got it into her head that the Macan is massive and she'll hate it. I think if we're only going to have one car, the Macan is a no brainer. I'd love the Cayman but my wife isn't going to get anything out of an NA engine that revs to 7800.

However, if she's going to push for the Cayman, I couldn't care less what her motivation is I'll do it. :D

Deffo worth trying both. I think you’ll be surprised how good the Macan is, especially since it gets the PDK rather than torque converter in the Cayenne.

But nothing like a NA 6 cylinder revving to near 8000 :D The induction sound on the Cayman is unreal.

Soldato
Yeah I'm forcing her to at least try the Macan as I've got a horrible feeling she'll realise it's actually not too big and will prefer it. Maybe that's foolish on my part but if she's paying half the deposit\finance then I don't want her hating the car or regretting the decision. If she sticks with the Cayman after the test drives though, happy days!

Are there any critical options? Aircon, Bose, Sports Chrono, PASM?

Soldato
Yeah I'm forcing her to at least try the Macan as I've got a horrible feeling she'll realise it's actually not too big and will prefer it. Maybe that's foolish on my part but if she's paying half the deposit\finance then I don't want her hating the car or regretting the decision. If she sticks with the Cayman after the test drives though, happy days!

Are there any critical options? Aircon, Bose, Sports Chrono, PASM?
Depends what’s important to you.

On a GTS you get pretty much everything you need.

PDLS+, Bose, Cruise Control and rain sensing wipers would be the only must haves which are not standard.

If you don’t get PDLS+, you don’t get LED headlights - they’re Xenon.

If you don’t get PDLS, they’re only 25w Xenon, rather than 35w.

Personally I think headlights are critical, and it’s nearly always worth getting the best option available.

Bose is good enough - this is coming from someone who has upgraded the audio in every car I’ve had, other than my F31 with HK.

Decent dynamic capability, reasonably loud and vocals are good on phone calls.

Normal wipers are just intermittent which is annoying.

Cruise is critical for me on any car, as I love it for long journeys.

Soldato
Depends what’s important to you.

On a GTS you get pretty much everything you need.

PDLS+, Bose, Cruise Control and rain sensing wipers would be the only must haves which are not standard.

If you don’t get PDLS+, you don’t get LED headlights - they’re Xenon.

If you don’t get PDLS, they’re only 25w Xenon, rather than 35w.

Personally I think headlights are critical, and it’s nearly always worth getting the best option available.

Bose is good enough - this is coming from someone who has upgraded the audio in every car I’ve had, other than my F31 with HK.

Decent dynamic capability, reasonably loud and vocals are good on phone calls.

Normal wipers are just intermittent which is annoying.

Cruise is critical for me on any car, as I love it for long journeys.
Super helpful, thanks. :)

Soldato
While we're on the subject of Cayman features - does anyone know if you get passenger side mirror dipping in reverse as standard? I've read conflicting things that say you do, but others say you have to get the 14/18-way seats to enable it, as it provides the memory.

Last edited:
Soldato
While we're on the subject of Cayman features - does anyone know if you get passenger side mirror dipping in reverse as standard? I've read conflicting things that say you do, but others say you have to get the 14/18-way seats to enable it, as it provides the memory.

No you don’t - it’s very annoying as the rear haunches are massive.

Soldato
Super handy when reversing. Doing it manually is fine but can be a pain to get it back to the right position all the time.
Ah man, I have to fight my Merc. Haven't bothered to turn it off, but the auto dip is never quite right, and then when I edge forward auto dip reactivates. Hate the thing!

Back
Top Bottom