Porsche Owners Thread - If you own one or just like or hate them! :)

Soldato
@Django x2 - 991.2 GTS is a fine machine. Don’t think you’ll go far wrong there! Don’t spend forever looking for a unicorn car. Most GTS cars are well specified as you say. My personal preference would be a cabriolet over a targa, but that’s a preference and the targa looks the business. Problem with them is that they are heavy and still have the disadvantages of a drop top. Centre lock wheels would concern me on any of these cars, but that’s probably unfounded.

Enjoy the search!

Soldato
I would suggest also driving a 991.1 GTS, I drove both .1 & .2 and whilst I really liked the extra torque of the .2 (and the steering wheel), ultimately I preferred the NA engine of the .1

Very much a personal choice, with neither being wrong but worth testing both.

Oh and rwd definitely regardless of .1 or .2

Associate
A 991.2 GTS is a fine machine and you wont be dissapointed! Mine has served me very well over the last 18 months!!

Mine is RWD and is a purer version to drive over the 4WD variant and grip level has never been an issue. It doesn't have front axle lift and i cant say ive ever needed it really but it does have rear wheel steering which is fantastic and a strange sensation to get used to but one you get the feel it turns in even better than you would believe! Enjoy!

Last edited:
Soldato
just fitted Michelin Pilot Sport 5 all round on my 996.1, I had PS4 all round before, will be interesting to see how they compare. Obviously hard to give initial feedback as I've just fitted brand new tyres vs PS4s with 2mm of tread, that on the front were 6 years old, but it seems good so far.

Associate
Thanks for this. Since posting, I've been through everything I can find on the various variants, options, etc. I've settled on a 991.2 GTS I just need to find one now with the spec I'm after. I can't decide between Carrera GTS and Carrera 4 GTS, being that the GTS is meant to be the poor mans GT3, RWD is perhaps better. All the GTS models got the wider body of the Carrera 4, so looks wise it's sorted. I'll have to see if the Carrera GTS came with 4 wheel steer (I know the Carrera 4 GTS does). Could also consider a Targa here as there seems to be more of them floating around. Maybe that's a bad thing :D

I'd take rear wheel steer over axle lift for example, but generally the GTS is a very well spec'd car without needing options.

The GTS is a great car, but wouldn’t rule out a 991.1 either. I’ve owned mine for five years and it gives nothing away to the later .2 variant in the real world. a bit easier to live with as a DD but not as rewarding imho. You need to *drive* the .1 whereas you can surf the torque in the .2. I’m actually considering selling mine to fund a GT3…. No turbos for me!

I’d also check on the .2 if it’s got the later turbos as I’ve seen 3 with turbo issues . From what I know it’s fairly common.

Don
20231019_142036.jpg

I spent the evening yesterday doing the "CC mod" to move my climate controls into one of the lower storage holes in my 996. What an utter **** job that was, my hands are far too big to be digging around behind the dashboard. Everything came apart and went back together again easily enough though, and now I have a nice big double-din sized space for fitting a new Android Auto head unit (and as an added bonus, everything still works too).

I took the opportunity to rip out an old parrot bluetooth kit at the same time. Whoever wired that in was a complete idiot - nothing was actually terminated. The wires were just wrapped together and covered in electrical tape. Given the age of the parrot model, it's probably been that way for 10-15 years though...

Now I need to pick a headunit though. toying with the idea of a Kenwood DMX5020DABS that shouldn't look too out of place.

Don
According to this the Porsche 911 and Cayenne only got Android Auto from 2022 onwards...

https://www.android.com/auto/compatibility/

So if you install one in yours you will be more up to date than most newish Porsche owners.

Having had Android Auto in my daily drivers for the last 6 years, it's a convenience I can't go without these days (especially for maps / navigation). It makes Spotify integration seamless too

Soldato
Having had Android Auto in my daily drivers for the last 6 years, it's a convenience I can't go without these days (especially for maps / navigation). It makes Spotify integration seamless too
Might be worth going for this one…

https://www.kenwood-electronics.co.uk/car/nav_mm/android-auto-mm/DMX8020DABS/?view=details

It has wireless CarPlay and Android Auto. I’m using a wireless dongle in my Smart which makes my USB port wireless but it would be even better if it was built in.

Soldato
Now I need to pick a headunit though. toying with the idea of a Kenwood DMX5020DABS that shouldn't look too out of place.
Nicely done, it's a pig of a job.

Don't get one of those Kenwood units with fake touchscreen type buttons. You can't feel what you're doing with what button, plus they're on the left side of the screen for the US market.

Grab a Kenwood 8019dabs as it's fully wireless Carplay/AA and has actual buttons along the button, which are handy when you're bouncing around in the 996 on our crappy roads.

Last edited:
Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
I spent the evening yesterday doing the "CC mod" to move my climate controls into one of the lower storage holes in my 996. What an utter **** job that was, my hands are far too big to be digging around behind the dashboard. Everything came apart and went back together again easily enough though, and now I have a nice big double-din sized space for fitting a new Android Auto head unit (and as an added bonus, everything still works too).

I took the opportunity to rip out an old parrot bluetooth kit at the same time. Whoever wired that in was a complete idiot - nothing was actually terminated. The wires were just wrapped together and covered in electrical tape. Given the age of the parrot model, it's probably been that way for 10-15 years though...

We have the same headunit ! I need to swap mine out. I was tempted by a continental unit.

Just collected my 996 from the garage after having all the brake caliper bleed nipples replaced, new brembo brakes all round (Brembo Sport Discs, HP2000 pads) and the 'spark plug tubes' and seals as I was getting some oil on the coil packs.

Now to bed the brakes in and then I can see what these brakes are like.

VTR

VTR

Soldato
IMG-7584.jpg

Original turbo twists are back on, refurbished in original silver with a new set of PS4S all round. The Techart wheels were great but one of the wheels cracked, low profile tyres just aren’t great on our roads. Really happy with how it looks back on the originals now :) Although I have seen a set of BBS E88’s on eBay that would look incredible!

VTR

VTR

Soldato
20231019_142036.jpg

Nice job, mine was already done prior to ownership so there is an aftermarket double din in the top. There’s lines of dead pixels on the screen though so I need to replace it. I was set on the Porsche PCCM plus classic but at £2k fitted vs £300 for an aftermarket unit I’m not sure I can justify it!

Soldato
Nice job, mine was already done prior to ownership so there is an aftermarket double din in the top. There’s lines of dead pixels on the screen though so I need to replace it. I was set on the Porsche PCCM plus classic but at £2k fitted vs £300 for an aftermarket unit I’m not sure I can justify it!
The Kenwood DMX8021DABS mentioned above is £549 sold by Amazon.

VTR

VTR

Soldato
The Kenwood DMX8021DABS mentioned above is £549 sold by Amazon.
Thanks, definitely want one with buttons on as using just touch screen is hard work. I had a quick look in Halfords last week and there was one £295 fitted but I can’t remember the make/model now. It looked fairly plain so wouldn’t look too out of place.

Soldato
Thanks, definitely want one with buttons on as using just touch screen is hard work. I had a quick look in Halfords last week and there was one £295 fitted but I can’t remember the make/model now. It looked fairly plain so wouldn’t look too out of place.
At that price most likely a discontinued model, which may or may not matter to you if you are saving money. Best thing is check the model then decide if you really want it.

Soldato
Is the ATOTO stuff absolutely awful?

They've got physical buttons, and their higher end units look actually quite feature rich (The S8 Ultra Gen 2 looks particularly good). Its £100 less than the Kenwood...

Back
Top Bottom