Associate
Your first (very bad) diag had another floor, there were access points, additional switches and no mention of structured wiring etc. Without the full picture people are just guessing and the goal posts keep moving and yes a faulty piece of equipment e.g. an access point can cause drop outs on other parts of the network.

“when i plug directly into the switch in the diagram i get no drop outs”

If I take this at face value there are four remaining variables:

1. The faceplate in your room.
2. The cable run between the faceplate in your room and the faceplate in your brothers room.

3. The patch cables between the faceplates and your PC / the switch.

4. The port you are connecting to on the switch in your brothers room.

1&2 – Every socket and RJ45 plug the “electrician” terminated needs to be re-terminated by someone that is competent. Its called twisted pair for a reason only the very end of the cable is supposed to be untwisted when you terminate the cable. Multiple people in this thread have told you the wiring is bad.

If you’re lucky there will be enough slack in the cable to do this after cutting the end off it also assumes the cable run hasn’t been damaged somewhere; otherwise you will need to run new cables at which point I suggest you run 3 new Cat 6 or 6a cables from your floor to the ground floor.

3 – In some pics you show a flat cable from your PC but in the ones where you bypass the structured cabling and cable direct to the switch you use a round cable. Perfectly understandable if the flat cable isn’t long enough or is routed under carpets etc. But its another variable and the flat cable could be bad even if it worked at 1 Gbps.

4 – When using the structured cabling the downstairs uplink and your PC are using the 10Gb ports on the switch and you are probably using the 2.5 Gb ports when testing with a direct cable. Yes the 10 Gb ports should auto negotiate and run at 2.5 but its another variable, nothing you have runs at 10Gb so just use the 2.5Gb ports.

You have Cat 5E cables in your wall the spec says they will run at 1Gbps at up to 100 meters, Cat 6 10Gbps at 33-55 meters, Cat 6A 10Gbps up to 100 meters.

The newer 2.5Gbps standard is designed to run on older cabling that can’t run at the full 10Gbps without having to rewire entire buildings so if your Cat 5e cabling had been installed correctly it would have “probably” worked. There are even people running 10Gbps on short runs of Cat5E (out of spec) but your wiring is some of the skankiest **** I’ve ever seen.

If you don’t want to pay someone £400+ a day to re-terminate and possibly run new cables then drill a hole in the wall between your rooms and poke the cable you are using for testing through the wall and plug it straight in to the switch (same as you are doing now but with the benefit of being able to close your doors).

- Regards
A former IT Operations Manager that would sometimes install the odd network socket but usually sub contracted the work because its too much hassle and I had far more important things to do.

Over the years I’ve had a port on one of the 14 Cisco SG200 switches I was managing die for no reason after being in place for years. I’ve had a squirrel eat through a fibre cable linking two buildings after the site manger blocked a hole trapping it. I have had a PC that wouldn’t logon to the domain because someone installed iTunes on it and Bonjour was spamming the network.

And I’ve had to deal with incompetent CCTV installers that were given carte Blanche to do as they please; they caused IP conflicts with the PC’s by setting static IP addresses on the cams and also connected CCTV cams directly to the back of existing network sockets rather than running new cables to the comms cab. Something would break every time they were on site but they were the council approved CCTV installers that the Business Manager insisted on using.

Electricians and CCTV installers that touch networks need their hands chopping off.

Associate
OP
Your first (very bad) diag had another floor, there were access points, additional switches and no mention of structured wiring etc. Without the full picture people are just guessing and the goal posts keep moving and yes a faulty piece of equipment e.g. an access point can cause drop outs on other parts of the network.

“when i plug directly into the switch in the diagram i get no drop outs”

If I take this at face value there are four remaining variables:

1. The faceplate in your room.
2. The cable run between the faceplate in your room and the faceplate in your brothers room.

3. The patch cables between the faceplates and your PC / the switch.

4. The port you are connecting to on the switch in your brothers room.

1&2 – Every socket and RJ45 plug the “electrician” terminated needs to be re-terminated by someone that is competent. Its called twisted pair for a reason only the very end of the cable is supposed to be untwisted when you terminate the cable. Multiple people in this thread have told you the wiring is bad.

If you’re lucky there will be enough slack in the cable to do this after cutting the end off it also assumes the cable run hasn’t been damaged somewhere; otherwise you will need to run new cables at which point I suggest you run 3 new Cat 6 or 6a cables from your floor to the ground floor.

3 – In some pics you show a flat cable from your PC but in the ones where you bypass the structured cabling and cable direct to the switch you use a round cable. Perfectly understandable if the flat cable isn’t long enough or is routed under carpets etc. But its another variable and the flat cable could be bad even if it worked at 1 Gbps.

4 – When using the structured cabling the downstairs uplink and your PC are using the 10Gb ports on the switch and you are probably using the 2.5 Gb ports when testing with a direct cable. Yes the 10 Gb ports should auto negotiate and run at 2.5 but its another variable, nothing you have runs at 10Gb so just use the 2.5Gb ports.

You have Cat 5E cables in your wall the spec says they will run at 1Gbps at up to 100 meters, Cat 6 10Gbps at 33-55 meters, Cat 6A 10Gbps up to 100 meters.

The newer 2.5Gbps standard is designed to run on older cabling that can’t run at the full 10Gbps without having to rewire entire buildings so if your Cat 5e cabling had been installed correctly it would have “probably” worked. There are even people running 10Gbps on short runs of Cat5E (out of spec) but your wiring is some of the skankiest **** I’ve ever seen.

If you don’t want to pay someone £400+ a day to re-terminate and possibly run new cables then drill a hole in the wall between your rooms and poke the cable you are using for testing through the wall and plug it straight in to the switch (same as you are doing now but with the benefit of being able to close your doors).

- Regards
A former IT Operations Manager that would sometimes install the odd network socket but usually sub contracted the work because its too much hassle and I had far more important things to do.

Over the years I’ve had a port on one of the 14 Cisco SG200 switches I was managing die for no reason after being in place for years. I’ve had a squirrel eat through a fibre cable linking two buildings after the site manger blocked a hole trapping it. I have had a PC that wouldn’t logon to the domain because someone installed iTunes on it and Bonjour was spamming the network.

And I’ve had to deal with incompetent CCTV installers that were given carte Blanche to do as they please; they caused IP conflicts with the PC’s by setting static IP addresses on the cams and also connected CCTV cams directly to the back of existing network sockets rather than running new cables to the comms cab. Something would break every time they were on site but they were the council approved CCTV installers that the Business Manager insisted on using.

Electricians and CCTV installers that touch networks need their hands chopping off.
Thank you so much for this in-depth explanation, i really appreciate it. I have a few new routers turning up today, im going to set them up and then get back to you.

Associate
OP
So you're not doing what people have suggested, and are going to run new routers on your existing cabling that might be faulty?
I maybe should have said this sooner, i cannot afford to have the structured cabling re-done. There are meters upon meters, im not having all the carpets ripped up and floor boards or even if its just carpets, etc. i'll happily have everything re-terminated, but thats all. We went thru 24months of absolute HELL with the builders and i can't bare the thought of ripping stuff up again. so unfortunately that is out of the question.
Also, if you check back in my previous posts, i was getting a new router regardless, because the Smart Hub plus only has 1gb LAN ports. I've settled on the QNAP Qhora-322; which arrived today and i have set up and its running lovely, for now!

Last edited:
Associate
I maybe should have said this sooner, i cannot afford to have the structured cabling re-done. There are meters upon meters, im not having all the carpets ripped up and floor boards or even if its just carpets, etc. i'll happily have everything re-terminated, but thats all. We went thru 24months of absolute HELL with the builders and i can't bare the thought of ripping stuff up again. so unfortunately that is out of the question.
Also, if you check back in my previous posts, i was getting a new router regardless, because the Smart Hub plus only has 1gb LAN ports. I've settled on the QNAP Qhora-322; which arrived today and i have set up and its running lovely, for now!
You have misread what everyone has been saying.

Buy one if you need to, but a long 10m+ (basically long enough to connect from your room to your brothers room, or possibly to downstairs even if it's a connection issue between the floors) cat5/6 patch cable and connect that way. You need to eliminate the connections on the walls(or the lines run along floors or between floors) as the fault points whilst testing, otherwise, when an issue crops up, you'll end up looking everywhere but where you need to.

There is no need to pull new lines through the house. And no one has asked that of you thus far.

Associate
Sorry OP its hard to keep track over 4 pages.

“ASUS GT-AX11000 Pro router, which has 10gbp LAN port”
So the 10Gb port was connected to the switch in your brothers room via cat 5e structured cables?

Cat 5e isn’t rated for 10Gbps it might work if you are lucky and the cabling is good but your electrician doesn’t know how to terminate cables correctly.

So you sent the ASUS back and have a Qnap router now?
“The QHora-322 has three 10GbE ports and six 2.5GbE ports for flexible WAN/LAN deployment”

Using the 2.5Gbps ports on the new switch would have dropped the uplink speed between the Asus router and the switch to a more realistic speed for Cat 5e.

The Qnap router might play better with the Qnap switch but it doesn’t change the fact that Cat 5e isn’t rated for 10Gbps. If you have any more problems then only use the 2.5Gbps ports over the structured cabling; you can use a 10 Gbps port if you get a NAS and its sitting next to the router.
I would still get someone to re-terminate the connections the electrician made and that flat network cable could still be bad. There isn’t anything more we can do to help if you are running 10Gbps over Cat 5e and get drop outs.

Soldato
This is pointless. Your cabling is of poor quality and rather than test/identify where the issue is, you're just trying to avoid the issue. If you're happy doing that then crack on, but please don't complain about drop out's or expect further help.

Cat 5e isn’t rated for 10Gbps it might work if you are lucky and the cabling is good but your electrician doesn’t know how to terminate cables correctly.

There isn’t anything more we can do to help if you are running 10Gbps over Cat 5e and get drop outs.

It would be better if you had read the preceding pages, op is running 2.5Gb (or at least was till today) and while 5e isn't certified for 10Gb, in the real world solid copper 5e reliably does 10Gb all day long upto 30m ish if properly terminated.

Associate
OP

“ASUS GT-AX11000 Pro router, which has 10gbp LAN port”
So the 10Gb port was connected to the switch in your brothers room via cat 5e structured cables?

So you sent the ASUS back and have a Qnap router now?
“The QHora-322 has three 10GbE ports and six 2.5GbE ports for flexible WAN/LAN deployment”

Using the 2.5Gbps ports on the new switch would have dropped the uplink speed between the Asus router and the switch to a more realistic speed for Cat 5e.

The Qnap router might play better with the Qnap switch but it doesn’t change the fact that Cat 5e isn’t rated for 10Gbps. If you have any more problems then only use the 2.5Gbps ports over the structured cabling; you can use a 10 Gbps port if you get a NAS and its sitting next to the router.
I would still get someone to re-terminate the connections the electrician made and that flat network cable could still be bad. There isn’t anything more we can do to help if you are running 10Gbps over Cat 5e and get drop outs.
So upon further inspection...the structured cabling is Cat6 other than the wire from my room to my brothers room. thats the only cat5e. Since both ends were correctly terminated by a network engineer with new wall ports, i have stable 2.5gbe connection. But i have a 10gb pci-e NIC which goes upto 10gbps, again i dont need that speed, was just borrowed for testing purposes. it is multi-gig so can connect at 10gb, 5gb, 2.5gb, 1gb etc etc.. its stable at 2.5gb as is the motherboard 2.5gb LAN port. so we have solved the issue for the most part. Thanks everyone for their help.
The way i know the cable is Cat6 is by the light grey printed text on the cable, it clearly says cat 6 on the cable running from upstairs down to the router, and the cable next to it in the now "dual wall port face plate" says cat5e printed on the cable.

In one of my posts i definitely mentioned running a cable from my PC directly to the switch in my brothers room and i got no drop outs, I'm currently replying to this post from that very same cable directly into the 10gb port on the QNAP switch and no drop outs for the passed 2hrs. Maybe the cat5e can't handle it....but as mentioned it is at least happy at 2.5gb and that is all i needed.

MANY MANY THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO CHIMED INTO THIS THREAD! Im sorry it was such a nightmare, but i was hoping from the pictures and using the term 'wall port' ppl would understand that there was structured cabling involved from the get go. Anyways, we got there in the end. The cat6 cable from the router downstairs to the switch upstairs is also plugged into 10gb ports on both ends and not having any drop outs.

Associate
5e reliably does 10Gb all day long upto 30m ish if properly terminated.
Post one by OP says he has “an ASUS GT-AX11000 Pro router” which has 10Gb ports and 2.5 Gb ports.

OP’s post on 5th April says he’s got the Qnap switch which also has 10 Gb ports and 2.5 Gb ports.

The photos show him using the 10Gb ports on the switch but it doesn’t say whether he was using the 2.5Gb or 10Gb on the router for the uplink so it could have been either.

OP kept changing switches and routers, a better diagram at the start would have made it easier for people to help him.

“5e reliably does 10Gb all day long upto 30m ish if properly terminated.“

No where does it say how long the cable run is and the photo of the network socket shows how “good” op’s cabling was.

Associate
So upon further inspection...the structured cabling is Cat6 other than the wire from my room to my brothers room. thats the only cat5e. Since both ends were correctly terminated by a network engineer with new wall ports, i have stable 2.5gbe connection. But i have a 10gb pci-e NIC which goes upto 10gbps, again i dont need that speed, was just borrowed for testing purposes. it is multi-gig so can connect at 10gb, 5gb, 2.5gb, 1gb etc etc.. its stable at 2.5gb as is the motherboard 2.5gb LAN port. so we have solved the issue for the most part. Thanks everyone for their help.
The way i know the cable is Cat6 is by the light grey printed text on the cable, it clearly says cat 6 on the cable running from upstairs down to the router, and the cable next to it in the now "dual wall port face plate" says cat5e printed on the cable.

In one of my posts i definitely mentioned running a cable from my PC directly to the switch in my brothers room and i got no drop outs, I'm currently replying to this post from that very same cable directly into the 10gb port on the QNAP switch and no drop outs for the passed 2hrs. Maybe the cat5e can't handle it....but as mentioned it is at least happy at 2.5gb and that is all i needed.

MANY MANY THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO CHIMED INTO THIS THREAD! Im sorry it was such a nightmare, but i was hoping from the pictures and using the term 'wall port' ppl would understand that there was structured cabling involved from the get go. Anyways, we got there in the end. The cat6 cable from the router downstairs to the switch upstairs is also plugged into 10gb ports on both ends and not having any drop outs.
"Since both ends were correctly terminated by a network engineer with new wall ports" now both ends have been re-terminated it will probably be fine to use the 10Gb nic over a short 5e link between your rooms (e.g if you ever get a NAS on the ground floor for backups etc) but I'd test it without using the flat cable first. Glad its sorted OP.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
"Since both ends were correctly terminated by a network engineer with new wall ports" now its been re-terminated it will probably be fine to use the 10Gb nic over the short 5e link between your rooms if you even get a NAS. Glad its sorted OP.
You are a great asset to this forum! Hope you stick around. Unfortunately this is the new issue...since the network engineer correctly terminated and used Brand New 'Exel' branded wall ports, i can connect at 2.5gbe but anything above that still gives drop outs. i tested 5gbe and 10gbe. only when i set speed and duplex to 2.5gb or 1gbe it is stable. And the testing equipment the network engineer had showed the cable run as being 26meters, @Avalon ; so i'd assume the length cat5e should be ok (under 30m as Avalon mentioned), but hey ho, it is what it is, 2.5gbe is plenty for what i need. i may pluck up the courage and funds and just drill a hole thru the skirting in a corner behind the desk to make it almost invisible and have someone lay a cable from my PC along the edges of the carpet to my brothers room. I'll keep you all posted if i do that.....look out for thread resurrection circa 2025 or later LOL

Last edited:
Associate
You are a great asset to this forum! Hope you stick around. Unfortunately this is the new issue...since the network engineer correctly terminated and used Brand New 'Exel' branded wall ports, i can connect at 2.5gbe but anything above that still gives drop outs. i tested 5gbe and 10gbe. only when i set speed and duplex to 2.5gb or 1gbe it is stable. And the testing equipment the network engineer had showed the cable run as being 26meters, @Avalon ; so i'd assume the length cat5e should be ok (under 30m as Avalon mentioned), but hey ho, it is what it is, 2.5gbe is plenty for what i need. i may pluck up the courage and funds and just drill a hole thru the skirting in a corner behind the desk to make it almost invisible and have someone lay a cable from my PC along the edges of the carpet to my brothers room. I'll keep you all posted if i do that.....look out for thread resurrection circa 2025 or later LOL
Look forward to the thread were you have upgraded your internet to 5 / 10 Gbps lol

Back
Top Bottom