Post your actual energy usage

But the new builds are too hot in the summer? Or is that only with the slightly smaller houses..

I suppose the layout has a big impact.

My living room and main bedroom are North facing whilst the kitchen is South facing so, in the Summer, the kitchen can get really warm which is great in Spring/Autumn as I leave the connecting door open and it heats the living room :cry: but, if I keep the door closed, the living room stays quite cool.

Same with the bedroom if I keep the rear (South) facing room doors closed.

4 Bed detached, 2 adults WFH, 2 kids.

I have made a concerted effort to reduce gas and electric this year but feel my ancient boiler is hampering a lot of my effort on the Gas front.

Ubupsbs.png

Historic Data

9aTUeXH.png

Last edited:
I've moved suppliers a few times so it's harder to keep track across years, but I've looked at actual reads from about a little over a year ago vs today.

21/11/2021
Gas: 21195 kwh
Elec: 15707 kwh

11/12/2022
Gas: 25690 kwh
Elec: 22162 kwh

Totals
Total gas: 4495 kwh (~ £450 at todays rates)
Total elec: 6455 kwh (~ £2194 at todays rates)

Solar usage since install 30/08/2022: 817.39 kwh
street value of solar contribution £277.91 at prices today

If solar was running for this whole time I'd have expected savings on around half of that cost maybe 50-60% or so cheaper, possibly higher still.

I've moved suppliers a few times so it's harder to keep track across years, but I've looked at actual reads from about a little over a year ago vs today.

21/11/2021
Gas: 21195 kwh
Elec: 15707 kwh

11/12/2022
Gas: 25690 kwh
Elec: 22162 kwh

Totals
Total gas: 4495 kwh (~ £450 at todays rates)
Total elec: 6455 kwh (~ £2194 at todays rates)

Solar usage since install 30/08/2022: 817.39 kwh
street value of solar contribution £277.91 at prices today

If solar was running for this whole time I'd have expected savings on around half of that cost maybe 50-60% or so cheaper, possibly higher still.
Do you have a smart meter? An app like Bright or Hugo can tap into full history, irrespective of supplier.

Do you have a smart meter? An app like Bright or Hugo can tap into full history, irrespective of supplier.

Yes it's an old SMETS 1 one though, also I have actual meter values from September 2021 and it's about 6K less electric kwh and 7k less gas kwh, so sort of tracks with usage in the last year + a couple of extra months.

As prices went up I just used less, and my extra electric usage over the winter was heating the house a fair bit so I needed less gas this year.

Actually quite surprised with how low my gas consumption is coming in at under 5000 kwh for the year, but I don't tend to over-heat the place even when it was cheaper, just put it on to a sensible temp when needed.

From looking at my data I had exceeded that before January even finished :cry:

Your gas consumption in Jan alone was incredible! :cool:

300 kwh per day, I'm in a reasonably modern 3 bed detached and heating to about 17-18 I reckon is around 3-4 m3 or 40~ kwh of gas per day, to get that count to 300 I'd be living in a tropical paradise!

It's just me though (WFH as well), adding another adult and a couple of kids it would definitely go up a bit, but not to that extent I think.

Last edited:
To-date for electric: 4556kWh but I do have panels and battery now. Previous year it was: 6220kWh

Gas: 10694kWh to date. Previous year: 17204kWh

Large 4 bed with 2 kids....

Last edited:
Your gas consumption in Jan alone was incredible! :cool:

300 kwh per day, I'm in a reasonably modern 3 bed detached and heating to about 17-18 I reckon is around 3-4 m3 or 40~ kwh of gas per day, to get that count to 300 I'd be living in a tropical paradise!

It's just me though (WFH as well), adding another adult and a couple of kids it would definitely go up a bit, but not to that extent I think.

Yeah it is not sure what the hell was going on in January? Was it a cold month? :cry:

Not sure when I started actively looking at reducing heating/hot water etc. I thought it was late 2021, but looks like it must have been early this year.

My living/dining is 30% humidity, a friend with a new build is struggling to keep it below 60% lol.
I think people are getting hung up on the humidity thing, relations have a bungalow(w/cavity fill), living room with calibrated humidity sensor I did, usually on 55% no signs of damp,
other rooms like bathroom / kitchen w/o a sensor are better ventilated, but no issues there, washing dried outside.

Some low electric usage in here?! Do people not cook or boil the kettle? :D

974kW in November. 4 bedroom detached, oil for heating and water. Electric everything else.

Hot tub uses a fair amount + electric car but even still, some people's annual usage is scary low!

Last edited:
Some low electric usage in here?! Do people not cook or boil the kettle? :D

974kW in November. 4 bedroom detached, oil for heating and water. Electric everything else.

Hot tub uses a fair amount + electric car but even still, some people's annual usage is scary low!

974kwh is a lot, prime candidate for solar if you don't have it already.

We do plan to look into solar, have limited south facing roof area though.

We have a fair amount of constant usage: Heat Recovery ventilation, fridge/freezer, wine fridge, network stack and CCTV, Hot Tub.

Havent even started using the electric underfloor heating or towel rails in bathroom yet....gonna leave it off I think!

When they arrive Ive got 56 compact fluorescent light fittings to replace with LED GU10s. Expect to halve the energy usage on lighting.

House is a Victorian 3 bed semi, 2 adult occupants both working from home, no solar or electric car etc. Central heating is oil fired (my office is in the garage and electrically heated). No gas. Log burner in the living room is used to boost the temperature on cold evenings.

Don’t have full access to the electricity numbers (wife deals with it and it’s all online so not much I can refer to). Got one copy of a bill from a few months ago that quotes 4193kwh usage for the previous 12 months though. House generally idles at anywhere from 250-350W, bumping up to 500W for short periods when the fridge/freezer kick in. Obviously higher when other high draw appliances are used.

Hard to put an accurate number on oil usage as it’s so seasonal and oil purchases are highly irregular. I’d estimate something like 1000l per year though.

Large 1990s 4 bedder, over three floors. Two adults. Single glazing, poor insulation, lots of glass and some skylights that have no tinting or blinds on. I've been tracking my electricity usage for some time as I'd like to get solar however my heating and cooling (ducted air con) is gas as is the hot water system. The government solar rebates are only available up to a certain household income level which we exceed. ROI with rebates is about 4 years, without is close to 8 years so just not worth it. Changed all the lights to LED after a recent renovation and this added to very little WFH has my power usage down 10% or so this year although prices for both supply and usage are up around 20% combined. I bought an infra red sauna this year too and use it 2 to 3 times a week which I thought would drive the prices up but seems it costs buttons to run. I think its about 30 cents per hour. We have underfloor heating in one of the bathrooms too which I kept turning off over winter and she kept turning back on.
2021 - 5,445kwh - $1,427
2022 (Jan to End Nov) - 4,369kwh - $1,399

I don't really look at the gas bills, we need what we need. Although we have had a mild winter and a so far mild summer neither the heating or the aircon have been on very much at all.

Dec 21-Nov 22
Gas 6377 kWh
Elec 3980 kWh

1999 2 bed end terrace. Whacked a load of insulation in the loft a couple of months ago so hopefully it'll be a bit less going forward but we're home all day, some home working, and ill health so if we need the heating on, it goes on.

Back
Top Bottom