Post Your Daily Encounter Pics Here

Soldato
They'll be current models in cuba:D. Are you sure foreign aren't allowed to drive, maybe they just didn't want you behind the wheel and made up an excuse:p.

I actually discovered I wasn't allowed to drive because one of the drivers offered me a go in one, which prompted me to research it. Foreigners are only allowed to drive the (massively expensive) official rental cars, which are all boring modern stuff like Kia Rios. If I'd driven one of the classics I wouldn't have been insured and if you happen to have an accident and hurt someone, you can end up in prison.

Soldato
Cuba has one of the most awesome car cultures in the world, such a shame you never got to try out any of those cars.

This is a great read:

https://jalopnik.com/heres-what-cubas-car-scene-looks-like-in-2017-1791963244

That really is a great read: pretty much mirrors my experience. There is definitely wealth there for a select few: I saw many new Merc C, E and S classes and even an RS6, but all were either government owned (you can see the recesses for the flag poles in the front wings) or rentals. Considering what I was quoted for a Rio, I dread to think how much a C class would cost to rent.

In the event of them ever relaxing the rules in terms of foreign drivers, I'd totally go back and take one for a tour around the whole country. As it is, whilst I'm quite happy to bend the rules in Mexico where I know I can get away with it, I wouldn't take the risk in a country like that. I took the photo below on one of my first days there, and I saw plenty of similarly dodgy looking situations whilst walking around.

IMG-0469.jpg

Caporegime
240Z, 260Z, 280Z, from that picture it is impossible to tell. They are all basically the same bar the engine. 240Z is 2.4, 260Z is 2.6, 280Z is 2.8. All share the same body etc. The only telltale will be the badging.

Soldato
I went to Cuba in 2013, very interesting place.

We got a taxi to the next town and what turned up was a Lada Riva that the owner had chopped the roof off then welded a bar between the rear seats. It had no structural rigidity at all and could feel the whole car bend as we went round a corner.

Only got one rubbish picture
dwBgz95.jpg

Soldato
Nearly rented something similar a few days back on the island of Cozumel: the agency I used had a fleet of old Corsas and Beetles with the roof chopped off, which they rented out to tourists to explore the island. I couldn't see any bars welded into them either :o

Thankfully, they ended up giving me a Matiz in the end (probably the first and only time anyone has been glad to get one of them!)

Caporegime
Nearly rented something similar a few days back on the island of Cozumel: the agency I used had a fleet of old Corsas and Beetles with the roof chopped off, which they rented out to tourists to explore the island. I couldn't see any bars welded into them either :o

Thankfully, they ended up giving me a Matiz in the end (probably the first and only time anyone has been glad to get one of them!)

I would have driven one of the unsafe hacked up cars just for the lolz. :p

Back
Top Bottom