Post Your Garden!

Don
Put more turf down in the garden this weekend. The quest for the ultimate low maintenance garden continues...

Looks a bit crap at the moment as new turf usually does. I did similar a couple of years ago where we had lots of plant beds (along where the stairs are going up to the grass, you can see the slight difference in grass colour)

Hopefully looks good in a month or so. Also did the top left hand corner. 35 square/m in total, was pretty tough in the heat putting it all down!

AAACA790-C436-47D3-9A53-E42271AC05FD_zps2d17hwdb.jpg

1C74BCBD-FA9E-438A-9112-5433D50C2B41_zps1mrz5weq.jpg

Don
Lovely space you have there.

Thanks, Yeah its a good size. It's a shame about the house being built to the side, who will be able to see into our garden. We like our privacy and had some 30ft trees surrounding only last year, unfortunately when the house plans were put in place they were chopped down and now the garden seems very open. Hopefully they put something in place as I am sure the next door neighbours won't want us looking into theirs neither..

This is what it was like 2 years back

bVAWIGv.jpg.png

Last edited:
Soldato
Haha, yeah...I aim to add to it :p

Yeah I know, on the to do list! I tried it with my Karcher pressure washer but it was going to literally cost me thousands in water bills!

You would be surprised at how little a pressure washer actually uses!

maj

maj

Soldato
Replaced our new build garden turf with artifical turf last weekend. It's North facing so doesn't get much sun at the best of times so wanted something low maintenance as neither of us are gardeners. Rather basic compared to some on here but it does the job fine and looks much better than the cheap turf the builder used.

Before (but a few month at least based on how short the grass is):

Xe72Mcn.jpg

After:

b6QekBm.jpg

OgDnDLg.jpg

0j2WMBv.jpg

rgk0lsw.jpg
(excuse the plate compactor in the background)

Removed the slabs near gate that used to have the bins on them to create an extra row of patio near the french doors and garden feels a lot bigger than it used to.

Corner with the bark and plant pots is new. Was previously just all turf.

Need to sort some new plants for down the side of the fence as the bad weather a few back seemed to kill them off.

I also need a new garden hose, preferably one on a reel.

Associate
Verdone / now Weedol works well for me. Use it every year on my lawns and it keeps most things at bay.

I applied Weedol using a watering can last year and all it seemed to do is make the weeds grow super strong and fast. Within a few days they were really prominent sticking above the grass until I did the next mow and then it was back to its normal state of looking tidy from a distance but weedy up close. Not sure what went wrong.

I still have loads left so I'm going to have a second go tonight. Any tips? How did you apply?

Caporegime
I applied Weedol using a watering can last year and all it seemed to do is make the weeds grow super strong and fast. Within a few days they were really prominent sticking above the grass until I did the next mow and then it was back to its normal state of looking tidy from a distance but weedy up close. Not sure what went wrong.

I still have loads left so I'm going to have a second go tonight. Any tips? How did you apply?
I use a garden sprayer like:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pump-Actio...qid=1526909869&sr=8-4&keywords=garden+sprayer

RxS41hC.png

I also used double the recommended application rate :p.

These products kill weeds by making them grow really fast, that's the whole point, so if that happens try leaving it rather than mowing it. I think it says wait at least 3 days before mowing on the packet (and don't mow for three days beforehand either).

The weeds need to be 'actively growing' too.

Associate
I also used double the recommended application rate :p.

These products kill weeds by making them grow really fast, that's the whole point, so if that happens try leaving it rather than mowing it. I think it says wait at least 3 days before mowing on the packet (and don't mow for three days beforehand either).

The weeds need to be 'actively growing' too.

I have a smaller 2 litre handheld sprayer that I use for iron sulphate so I'll give that a go.

Last year I did 15ml per 10m/sq per the pack pretty much to the letter. I left it at least a week and then left the clippings on the lawn like the instructions say. It's as if it nearly worked because I noticed the weeds go really chunky but then maybe there wasn't quite enough to make them die. I think this year I'll step it up and go with more as you say.

Does "actively growing" mean that it has to be sunny/morning or that it's the right time of year like spring/summer? If I do it at dusk tonight, would that be ok?

Back
Top Bottom