Post Your Garden!

Don
Guys, how much watering does new grass seed need in spring? It's been quite cold over the night so the moisture of the ground should be very damp, 'guides' say to water it each morning and evening but I'd have thought that overkill. Thoughts?

Soldato
Any recommendations on an affordable but fast germinating lawn seed? Our back garden got turfed very late in the season last year (Nov) and didn't root until Jan and is honestly looking very dead despite lots of feeds and watering.

Associate
Guys, how much watering does new grass seed need in spring? It's been quite cold over the night so the moisture of the ground should be very damp, 'guides' say to water it each morning and evening but I'd have thought that overkill. Thoughts?

Depends on whether the area is in full sun or shade. If watering twice a day, use a mist spray where possible. The aim is to just keep the soil damp really. I always have a very thin bed of compost on top of the seeds to retain moisture. It's also an easy way to tell whether it needs watering.

Associate
Any recommendations on an affordable but fast germinating lawn seed? Our back garden got turfed very late in the season last year (Nov) and didn't root until Jan and is honestly looking very dead despite lots of feeds and watering.

Had a look through my emails and the brand I used last year to re-seed my lawn was called GroundMaster from eBay.

Soldato
Patio will be redone as you said it is very uneven. Hoping to speak with someone over the weekend about removing a couple of trees. Need to look into a mower but no idea what is any good same with the pressure washer..
How big is the lawn? (I cant see pictures (blocked my end) at the moment sorry)
With regards to a pressure washer get a nilfisk. Better than Karcher and better priced. Mine's taken a hammering and still going strong.

Associate
Hard to tell how many trees you have but please don't just remove trees for the sake of it. That one next to the shed looks really nice, adds character and probably just needs cutting back a little. A lawn without tree's is a pretty boring thing to look at.

Imo, spend the extra and get a petrol mower over an electric. Needn't spend too much. I have one thats about 7/9 year old now, forget the make but its a Briggs and Straton engine and still working well + no chance of cutting the lead. Something like this mountfield will likley do the job for many years. Don't forget a strimmer (electric or battery I guess) to neaten up the edges and borders.

Pressure washer wise, you could spend £100+ for power but you probably don't need to spend that much as most patio's need cleaning once a year & if you don't tend to wash your own car with one, over spending would be silly. I have one that cost me £40 in Asda 8+ years ago. I only use it to clean up the patio once a year and while it takes a few hours, it does the job well and doesn't take up much space to store. So unless you have other uses for something like a Kerchar might be overpriced for your needs unless you find one on a good deal. <£60-80

Good luck

The ones at the back will be just cut back. The ones that I want to get rid off is in an awkward place just at corner of the house and the other is on the front and needs to go.

I do not really want to be messing with a petrol mower due to me being visually impaired. I saw a cordless electric last year at a decent price that also did mulching but cannot find it now.

I think you are probably right in regards to the pressure washer I would only be using it to do the patio/driveway and clean the bins out.

Don
Same here! Suspect the frost may have killed it off.

I hope not, we put loads down!

Grass seed itself is relatively temperature resistant. If grasses go to seed in the fall, the seeds lay dormant in the soil all winter and sprout in the spring. ... Therefore a single, solid frostall winter will not kill seeds, but an irregular cycle of freezing and thawing can

Last edited:
Soldato

Just don't let it dry out otherwise don't worry about it. Other than not letting the dog/fox/birds/other critter make holes everywhere obviously.

I'm curious how grass seed will grow, we laid some at the weekend, it's sitting there on the soil at the moment! We followed guides etc, I guess time will tell :)

Its been cold lately so it won't do much once it warms up you'll start seeing it pop up. It'll look a bit thin at first but it will bulk up. :)

Same here! Suspect the frost may have killed it off.

Grass seed is very hardy it'll take a lot to finish it off though it might rot if the soil is sodden for prolonged periods.

Soldato
I'm curious how grass seed will grow, we laid some at the weekend, it's sitting there on the soil at the moment! We followed guides etc, I guess time will tell :)

I've been attempting to improve the grass in my garden from time to time since we bought the place last summer. Putting a bit of topsoil/ compost on top seemed to help, still patchy though.
I rotovated all the grass prior (about 4 x 6m), would have probably been easier to turf it.

Soldato
I've just read through the last 5 pages. I'd like to see some trees. Anyone have a nice tree in their garden?

We've recently planted a Rowan (Mountain Ash) in your front garden. Planning to keep it short and dense for the birds. We also have trees down the side of the garage that I maintain for birds, got sparrows and **** nesting.

NBRQLpc.jpg

Soldato
I've got a peach in blossom as well its so darn chllly at the mo its touch and go as to whether anything will pollinate it need to do it by hand I expect with a soft brush/cotton wool (traditionally its a rabbits tail but were on earth do you get hold of one of those?!)

Associate
I have a few ornamental cherry trees that I have been growing for a number of years. Chaels weeping cherry and amanogawa. Also have a Japanese maple which produces great colour from spring through to autumn, probably one of my favourite trees I own.

Back
Top Bottom