Post Your Garden!

Soldato
It's still very much a work in progress so bear with...

The decking was starting to fall apart in a few places, due in part to whoever put it down had used numerous bricks, wood etc to level it all off and a large part of it wasn't treated so has rotted. It's never been nice to walk on and the little un needs something she can safely play on in the summer. Patio is going down in its place, hopefully within the next 2 weeks.

This was the state of the patio/decking area before I started ripping everything up.

IMG-20190308-134434.jpg

Picture during the big rip up:
IMG-20190322-175723.jpg

IMG-20190309-170342.jpg

IMG-20190401-185628.jpg

IMG-20190401-174951.jpg

And this is where I'm at now (after numerous car loads to the tip from removing a ton of crap underneath the decking):

img-20190408-175828.jpg

More pics:
img-20190407-114010.jpg

img-20190408-175847.jpg

Will be taking the current slabs up that you can see in the last picture as I want the new patio to be level with the drive and not have a lip. Also if the new aptio was laid on top of the current slabs then it would come rather close to the DPC of the house.

I may make a little thread about all this actually!!

Associate
New build patio was tiny. Garden slopes towards the house and towards next doors garage. Turf removed trench’s dug for retaining wall to be built. Was quoted from £5000 to £7000 for the trades to do it, so that’s a non starter!
Cost so far £240 for a 6 yard skip for 3 weeks, 2 blistered hands and a lot of barrow loads to the skip.
This weekend footings going in and simple block retaining wall so the new patio can be one level. Was quoted £1900 for the block wall!! Blocks ordered £150 from Travis Perkins, sand ballast and cement £100 from Wickes. Looking at a cement mixer on eBay for £110 as hiring one is nearly as much for a couple of days.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/362439772933

Will post more when the OH chooses the slabs.

1PXjQq8.jpg.png
ArD7wlz.jpg.png

Brown spots in grass nearly all recovered, unfortunately like a lot of new builds it’s horrid Clay, soaking wet in the winter like concrete in the summer. Thinking about some hollow tine aeration to try and alleviate that problem. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Associate
Wow some of these gardens are amazing. I would love to do mine but its a massive job some useless twit who lived here before liked to dump his garden waste and anything he could from the house at the top of the garden then fenced it all in! Right state just have to find a RORO company to hire from and i'll get busy.

Associate
Gave up trying to manually rake dead (after treatment) and live moss from my lawn and this evening purchased a lawn scarifier from Screwfix. Its amazing how much it pulls up that I could barely touch with a rake. I'm haappy I've bought it but now unhappy I'll have to wait a number of weeks to see any improvement

Pic #1 Halfway through. I set it to medium and while I'm sure there's more moss and thatch in there so I'm also thinking not to overdo it and fix it up in stages (or perhaps autumn) so my lawn recovers quicker to allow Badminton to continue asap. As per Screwfix reviews on the scarifier I bought, I ran it without the small collection box which fills up too very quickly.
rnhF579.jpg

Pic #2 Now Complete (or main secrion upto half way round the pond). I manually raked up much of the non collected moss into a few piles then took the lazy option and mowed the lawn as I consider my Briggs and Straton mower just as much a hoover as a mower :D
DByknaY.jpg

Totally filled up my standard standard sized brown wheelie bin with what the scarifier brought up and that included having to jump into it a few times to compress it down :p

Good work always looks terrible when you scarify. Best is to try and get it all in one go or before recovery work starts. For the best job go over vertically, then 90 degrees to the 1st pass then 45 degrees to that. Rake up and take to the tip not compost. A good Topdressing after with quality seed and good watering, even with the weather we have now will recover it in now time and have it looking like Wimbledon!

Rolawn do a very good seed with very good reviews as well. Expensive but I think you get what you pay for. If your budget doesn’t stretch have a look at the seed mix ratios and amazon do some fairly near to them.

https://www.rolawn.co.uk/lawn-care/medallion-premium-lawn-seed-20kg

Edit: if you get fed up raking up the mess use a leaf blower works a treat to get right into the turf to get all the loose dead thatch and moss out.

Associate
Was quoted from £5000 to £7000 for the trades to do it, so that’s a non starter!
Ouch - If that's only for a small bit of the garden I dread what the whole garden would have cost. I've done very little with my new build since moving in 4 years ago except try to keep on top of the bald patches in the grass, but it's a losing battle as like yours the soil underneith is terrible.
I want to get a landscaper in to do something like this guy https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=207&t=1607594&i=0 but I just don't think it's doable/affordable for under £8/10k :/

(My patch!)

ptrc0ktl.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Ouch - If that's only for a small bit of the garden I dread what the whole garden would have cost. I've done very little with my new build since moving in 4 years ago except try to keep on top of the bald patches in the grass, but it's a losing battle as like yours the soil underneith is terrible.
I want to get a landscaper in to do something like this guy https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=207&t=1607594&i=0 but I just don't think it's doable/affordable for under £8/10k :/

(My patch!)

ptrc0ktl.jpg
I appreciate you are paying for the time as well as business overheads but I felt it was too steep. So far I’m dug out, footings for wall made, and all the bricks, sand cement and hardcore brought with a plate compactor hire for £500. I reckon all in it’ll cost £2000 max for a 20sqm new patio and relaying 16sqm of old patio obviously depending on the slabs the OH choses.

Soldato
The grass has grown back strong over the last half a year since rotovating everything.

Ih27DIz.jpg.png

Nx6e64i.jpg.png

23q4bSU.jpg.png

The border has recently been planted with hardy annual and perrinials that attract bees so will hopefully see some of them shoot up in the next few weeks
Where the grow bags are will be giving a small raised planter (2m x 1m) for vegetables. There's currently peas there which are doing well and tomatoes to plant out. We also have some courgettes and squashes but as they're trailing types I think they will do better with their own plot along the other side of the garden.

Soldato
Not quite the garden as it is just our flower beds but thought I'd share them anyway.

wsLNqkc.jpg

2xe89Bd.jpg

0TZBD3y.jpg

YqhDqUf.jpg

Warning, big photos someone remind me the imgur link edit you need to make to auto resize.

First time ever planting so we bought a shed load of bedding plants to see if we could do it and to see if the beds got enough sunlight. Its clear that the one closest to the house isn't getting enough sunlight there are still slowly growing but no where near as well as the other one. We planted at the end of April and its clear our begonias arent making it so need to pull them out soon. The purple ones are by far my favourite I can't even remember what they are, any of you have any idea?

Soldato
New build patio was tiny. Garden slopes towards the house and towards next doors garage. Turf removed trench’s dug for retaining wall to be built. Was quoted from £5000 to £7000 for the trades to do it, so that’s a non starter!
Cost so far £240 for a 6 yard skip for 3 weeks, 2 blistered hands and a lot of barrow loads to the skip.
This weekend footings going in and simple block retaining wall so the new patio can be one level. Was quoted £1900 for the block wall!! Blocks ordered £150 from Travis Perkins, sand ballast and cement £100 from Wickes. Looking at a cement mixer on eBay for £110 as hiring one is nearly as much for a couple of days.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/362439772933

Will post more when the OH chooses the slabs.

1PXjQq8.jpg.png
ArD7wlz.jpg.png

Brown spots in grass nearly all recovered, unfortunately like a lot of new builds it’s horrid Clay, soaking wet in the winter like concrete in the summer. Thinking about some hollow tine aeration to try and alleviate that problem. Thoughts?

Well done looks like you are doing a great job! Our patio also new build is tiny! Debating trying to extend it a bit myself, not really sure what to do or how to do it properly but seen a fair bit online. Doesn't sound too bad. Just need to find matching slabs rather than replace the lot. They are like probably the most basic ones going so I'm hoping I can source them easily enough :)

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Getting through the list.

- Sort out the flower bed on the left, we have some big lavender plants that need removing and some more bark to put down.
Done the wedding and planted a couple of flowers, still needs a little more planting.
- General weeding.
Done, added the weed control behind and around the planters.
- Pressure washer the path and area in front of shed.
Not done.
- Properly plant in the raised bed at the front of our main patio.
Added a few new plants that will take time to establish.
- Buy a double egg swing chair to go where the 2 seater and table currently are, in front of the summer house.
Added, lovely chilling on this in the sun.
- Gravel/stones to the right of the path, and sort out the overgrown plants there.
Not started.
- Buy corner seating area on the main patio area (bottom of the photo out of shot).
Parked until next year now.
- Some more Cretecote on the sleepers.
On the list over summer.
- Bench to go between the veg planters.
Still deciding on this.

As you can see from the photo we have a double swing set which we can swap out between various attachments, our son loves it. Now I need to find a new spot for the rotary clothes line. Also added some solar lights.

The veg in the planters is growing well.

KBs64f0.jpg

Here's mine today. Things planned:

- Sort out the flower bed on the left, we have some big lavender plants that need removing and some more bark to put down.
- General weeding.
- Pressure washer the path and area in front of shed.
- Properly plant in the raised bed at the front of our main patio.
- Buy a double egg swing chair to go where the 2 seater and table currently are, in front of the summer house.
- Gravel/stones to the right of the path, and sort out the overgrown plants there.
- Buy corner seating area on the main patio area (bottom of the photo out of shot).
- Some more Cretecote on the sleepers.
- Bench to go between the veg planters.
ZO9WJKC.jpg

Here's how the garden looked when we moved in, 2014.

iXS6bm0.jpg

54OLHnI.jpg

Associate
Been wanting to post this for about 5 months but in December I moved in to a new build, incline to the garden and bad drainage problems due to compacted, heavy clay.

Land drain went in and then aerated as best as possible then some serious effort (not by me, I learnt my lesson on my last garden!)

Before

D9-D3-F8-D3-8082-4-ADF-A804-D3-FEBC61-D5-D8.jpg

Coming together

D8387710-CDEF-46-D4-B5-BC-58-D57-DB341-C0.jpg

68-DC3-AAC-4852-4-DBD-923-B-D1916-C8-EEC4-D.jpg

5-EAC3-DD7-C59-E-4687-864-B-1457-A7-E99-A6-D.jpg

As of today after a bit of sprinkling.

5-FD2-FE01-65-DD-4-EDF-9-D24-7765-BC451-C21.jpg

Just needs a light sweep down and furniture now. Also need to sort short fence on one side.

Last edited:
Soldato
Been wanting to post this for about 5 months but in December I moved in to a new build, incline to the garden and bad drainage problems due to compacted, heavy clay.

Land drain went in and then aerated as best as possible then some serious effort (not by me, I learnt my lesson on my last garden!)

Before

D9-D3-F8-D3-8082-4-ADF-A804-D3-FEBC61-D5-D8.jpg

Coming together

D8387710-CDEF-46-D4-B5-BC-58-D57-DB341-C0.jpg

68-DC3-AAC-4852-4-DBD-923-B-D1916-C8-EEC4-D.jpg

5-EAC3-DD7-C59-E-4687-864-B-1457-A7-E99-A6-D.jpg

As of today after a bit of sprinkling.

5-FD2-FE01-65-DD-4-EDF-9-D24-7765-BC451-C21.jpg

Just needs a light sweep down and furniture now. Also need to sort short fence on one side.

That looks really good, nice job!

Associate
Work in progress for garden (moved Autumn in last year).

Pond up and running, rockery almost complete. May add some led lights around the outside of the pond as well, and put down some proper indian sandstone around the pond.

Acoustic wall at the end of the garden - still need to paint the posts but coming together (slowly).

CTBeiCx.jpg

Associate
Whats the reasoning behind the acoustic wall?

So at the back of the house is a road that gets used as a bit of a rat-run. A brick wall could have gone into 5 figures, and a standard fence would not have had the height we wanted for privacy.

Was a pain to dig the holes for the posts, which then consumed an insane amount of postcrete, but happy with the end result.

Back
Top Bottom